SOLO GXP "STREET RACE" Exhaust Kit - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 PM

I can't decide which one
I like the gains with the street race and it does sound nice but I like the gains with the mach plus high-flow cat even better. I'm just afraid of possible warranty issues

Aggressive GXP, black top, black leather with red stitching, acoustic headliner, AC, sport metallic pedals, monsoon audio, single disc stereo(no XM), onstar, chrome wheels, Aisin 5-speed manual. $27,980.23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razar View Post
I can't decide which one
I like the gains with the street race and it does sound nice but I like the gains with the mach plus high-flow cat even better. I'm just afraid of possible warranty issues
What warranty issues... just bolt the stock exhaust back on

1993 talon tsi awd - stock on the outside, modded on the inside
2008 solstice gxp - Solo Performance 3" mach exhaust + hiflow cat - dyno sheet
post #18 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to DCLocal Send a message via Skype™ to DCLocal
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
This is pretty much what I've decided to do should the situation arise. I've found a local race shop to do the work and store the old exhaust so I'm good to go for the MACH system once the 3" cat is a go.

"Mac Daddy" DELIVERED!
Sly/Ebony with the works...

My GXP Photo Gallery
post #19 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Member FDIC

Yea, but what about the little engine lifting needed to switch cats. Everytime you take your car in to the dealer you'll be having to go through that process just to switch cats.

GXP Mysterious darkside l ebony leather with red
headliner l sport pedals l A/C l single disc Monsoon XM l chrome l no spoiler, onstar, smokers

Exhaust Depot charge pipes/intake, HKS BOV, Solo Street Race exhaust, EDAL, Eibach Pro Kit, Gravana 19" J2 stagg wheels, Eagle GS D3 rubber, HIDs, Optima batt, debadged, tint, Carolina Custom interior with Italian leather and Alcantara and suede backsplash with logo pop outs, Norm's fenders, Trifecta tune

banner courtesy of: crundell

post #20 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to DCLocal Send a message via Skype™ to DCLocal
After giving this considerable thought I’m willing to gamble I won’t have the type of problem that will prompt me to have to switch the cat back to the original. While the service manager did give me the “disclaimer” the underlying impression was that it wasn’t an issue but a formality. I agree it is a risk but one I’m prepared to take.

"Mac Daddy" DELIVERED!
Sly/Ebony with the works...

My GXP Photo Gallery
post #21 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi. Just to answer a few questions that were asked. The "Street Race" systen is much lighter than the original system. Sorry, we don't have exact weights, but the the difference is considerable. Brentil is right, there is no welding etc. that needs to be done with any of the systems.They are very user friendly and require only basic tools to install. We tried to pay a lot of attention to detail so that the kits would easily interchange and be friendly to work with.
post #22 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
You make a good point I wonder how long until the cat is available.

Aggressive GXP, black top, black leather with red stitching, acoustic headliner, AC, sport metallic pedals, monsoon audio, single disc stereo(no XM), onstar, chrome wheels, Aisin 5-speed manual. $27,980.23
post #23 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Cats will be available next week but I would like to get them on a few test cars before we offer them for pre-sale. It's important for us to offer the product and be able to know what to expect from it. We hope to have the testing done within two weeks or so.
post #24 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 01:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to IBDRINKEN
<-----Test Dummy lol. I mean Subject. I should have mine next week sometime. SOlO I also pmed you

[email protected]
Norms Fenders
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
K&N Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection

Last edited by IBDRINKEN; 02-16-2007 at 03:42 AM.
post #25 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 AM

You don't have to be local to be a test car?? Damn, I always assumed you had to be.

post #26 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey Everyone...Here are some pics of our "Street Race Kit" that is now available for shipping. If you have any questions, concerns or orders please do not hesitate to PM us. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GXP Race Kit 025.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	9545   Click image for larger version

Name:	GXP Race Kit  034.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	9546   Click image for larger version

Name:	GXP Race Kit 040.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	9547  
post #27 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM

swsome cant wait till i het mine next week

[email protected]
Norms Fenders
K&N Intake
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection
post #28 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO View Post
Hey Everyone...Here are some pics of our "Street Race Kit" that is now available for shipping. If you have any questions, concerns or orders please do not hesitate to PM us. Thanks
Ohhhh looks so nice and shiny.

I'll have to get that back half from you guys after I get the Race version installed and dynod this coming Thur so I can use it with my hitch.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #29 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Just got mine here is the linkyto the pics.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...924#post451924

[email protected]
Norms Fenders
K&N Intake
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection
post #30 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 AM

came home today and the coffin like box was sitting there with the Street Race exhaust and the high flow cat. Here are some interesting insights and tips.

I had an advantage since I have a lift in my garage, therefore, making this mini project far easier. I would not suggest changing the cat on the ground unless you enjoy pain. Here is the good and bad.

1. As everyone has said the exhaust comes off extremely easy. It is no more then a one hour job if you are doing the exhaust only. I would say the exhaust came off in less then ten minutes. There are only two bolts holding it on, plus the slip-on hangers.

2. The trick to taking off the hangers is merely do one at a time and get a large screwdriver and push the rubber off the hanger, using silicone spray also makes it easier.

3. Most of the fasteners/bolt are threaded into studs or threaded inserts making it easier to remove. A small impact tool also helps.

4. Most of the nuts and bolt heads are 15mm.

5. The hardest part on my car was the upper cat fasteners. These are 15mmm nuts. When they assembled mine at the factory they cross threaded one of the studs. If you find this condition make sure you use a six point socket.

6. The four upper cat nuts are hard to get to. If you have a 15mm racheting type box wrench it makes it far easier. Make sure you spray these with a penetrating oil prior to removal. It help to rotate the clamp on an adjacent hose to get it out of the way.

7. The O2 sensors require a 22 mm wrench or a 7/8" sae wrench. It was interesting that the lower O2 sensore was hand tight and was leaking exhaust and sucking in air.

8. As has already been stated, you have to jack up the engine about 3/4" of an inch. This only requires the removal of one motor mount bolt. I have a jack plate on the lift and used an electric jack and a small piece of 2X4 to lift one side of the engine. The problem with doing this on the ground is that the second jack is going to unstabilize the first jack and/or jack stands.

9. There is a small bracket that bolts the bottom of the cat to the side of the engine. I found it easier to remove this (two nuts) when pulling the cat. As a matter of fact the cat just fell out with this bracket off.

10. The band clamps work fine. I have used them many times before. The key is to torque them to 50 ft-lbs. Less than 50 and they will pull out and more than 50 and they sometimes strip. You will need a deep well 9/16" socket for these clamps.

11. The last step is to band clamp the two outlets pipes. Only tighten them lightly, then, go to the back and align the tips in the cutouts. Now you can tighten them all the way.

OEM exhaust and cat: 53 lbs
Solo race exhaust and cat: 33 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: