SOLO GXP "STREET RACE" Exhaust Kit - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to birdliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTICE View Post
I'm afraid the SR with the cat will be too loud for me and that I'd like the sound of the SR without the HF cat, but I don't think I can resist the extra HP with the cat.
Those are my thoughts exactly Justice, but if they can crack the EMC, I'll probably go for the HF Cat, too. Unless the sound is really overboard, it's hard not to when you know it's another inexpensive way to improve the flow and pick up a little extra HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Member FDIC

Yea Yea okay. I'm probably going to get the cat with the SR anyway. But I'm waiting for YOU to help confirm if there is a fix or not yet. Hopefully it's something easy that doesn't cost alot.

GXP Mysterious darkside l ebony leather with red
headliner l sport pedals l A/C l single disc Monsoon XM l chrome l no spoiler, onstar, smokers

Exhaust Depot charge pipes/intake, HKS BOV, Solo Street Race exhaust, EDAL, Eibach Pro Kit, Gravana 19" J2 stagg wheels, Eagle GS D3 rubber, HIDs, Optima batt, debadged, tint, Carolina Custom interior with Italian leather and Alcantara and suede backsplash with logo pop outs, Norm's fenders, Trifecta tune

banner courtesy of: crundell

post #48 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 PM

The fix seems to be working so far, the light normally came on after like 30 miles, now i did almost 100 miles and it didnt come back on.
If it doesnt come on by next week we might have a winner, its not expensive either, chump change

1993 talon tsi awd - stock on the outside, modded on the inside
2008 solstice gxp - Solo Performance 3" mach exhaust + hiflow cat - dyno sheet
post #49 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Has Solo passed the 20 mark yet?

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
post #50 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to birdliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mena661 View Post
Has Solo passed the 20 mark yet?
I ordered last week and got in. They said there were a couple left at the old price at that time, so maybe.
post #51 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdliver View Post
I ordered last week and got in. They said there were a couple left at the old price at that time, so maybe.
Thanks bird. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. The regular price is still a great price.

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
post #52 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mena661 View Post
Thanks bird. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. The regular price is still a great price.
It's true, the regular price is still quite good. If you listened to the sound clips, the real version from the driver's seat is about twice as nice. If you have ever had a motorcycle and replaced the stock exhaust with a nice aftermarket one, it is about that nice!!! Really, the car sounds RIGHT with this kit on there.

I'm sure there are other nice systems, and I had a bit of a problem with my initial order, but it is a great system and they are good to work with. No, they didn't pay me to say that. Now that I have mine installed, I just can't imagine driving around a car that looks this nice without the sound to match it. Just my 2 cents worth........

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

GXP - Cool Silver (5spd) / Driver - 'Not So Cool'
post #53 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTICE View Post
I'm afraid the SR with the cat will be too loud for me and that I'd like the sound of the SR without the HF cat, but I don't think I can resist the extra HP with the cat.
I'm not sure how much louder the cat makes it, but if it makes the S/R sound like the Race then that's not really that bad. Also if the S/R is to loud you can get a local exhaust shop to take and weld some resonators in place of the clamps to drop the noise down some.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #54 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
I'm not sure how much louder the cat makes it, but if it makes the S/R sound like the Race then that's not really that bad. Also if the S/R is to loud you can get a local exhaust shop to take and weld some resonators in place of the clamps to drop the noise down some.
The high flow cat doubles the sound level.
post #55 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
The high flow cat doubles the sound level.
That would put the S/R above a Race then. But like I mentioned it wouldn't be hard at all to have a local shop mod the exhaust slightly to add some deadening if one though it was too loud. The rear sections that join with the clamps could easily be cut to make room for a resonator and then just have the entire thing welded.

I used to drive a ZX2 S/R which had a nice little S/R badge on the back. Trying to see if I can find a badge cheap to see how it'll look on my car.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
post #56 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 03:16 AM

Wouldnt putting resonators in the lines of the S/R +HF cat pretty much give you the sound of what the Mach +HF cat does? Unless you have something against mufflers.
Otherwise the Mach might be the system for you if you are too worried about noise.

Just a thought.
MeanSol

Team Solstice

MEAN GXP with the works, minus smoker, pedals, XM, Big Brother, and Onions
Current AAT topless outing record -10 degrees F at an average speed of 70mph for a total of 61 miles!
post #57 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanSol View Post
Wouldnt putting resonators in the lines of the S/R +HF cat pretty much give you the sound of what the Mach +HF cat does? Unless you have something against mufflers.
Otherwise the Mach might be the system for you if you are too worried about noise.

Just a thought.
MeanSol
If you want to use a hitch unmodified then the Street/Race is the only kit that will let you do that.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
post #58 of 175 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 PM

Point taken on the hitch. So much easier to go without a muffler and add a hitch without modding, than to bribe friends in chase vehicles to drag your stuff to the track. They can be down right expensive at times.

MeanSol

Team Solstice

MEAN GXP with the works, minus smoker, pedals, XM, Big Brother, and Onions
Current AAT topless outing record -10 degrees F at an average speed of 70mph for a total of 61 miles!
post #59 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 PM

I wanted to make sure everyone saw this, it is posted elsewhere. Here are the details when I removed the high flow cat. With the high flow cat I was getting a P0420 and a P2177 DTC, they were actually putting the car into a limp-home mode. Here are the details of the car after the cat was removed:

The light at the end of the tunnel is approaching. Here is the latest:

1. As mentioned on Friday, I took off the high flow cat and reset the ECU. The car did not want to run for several key cycle. This had happened before, this ECU does not reset to a default memory when you remove the battery, it has some intermediate learned memory that is retained. If anyone does a major change expect the car to react strangely till the ECU relearns.

2. 20 miles after I opened the battery I had a P2177 code which is the combination of LTFT and STFT is too high. I cleared the ECU one more time and this time the ECU reacted in a normal fashion, the first ECU reset had the LTFT going to zero, then racing to get to 23-25%. It appears when the combination of STFT and LTFT hit 30%, a code is set. In this case the boost was limited to 8 PSI by the P2177 DTC. However, after the second ECU reset the LTFT reacted in a normal fashion, it ended up at 15%-18%. It has stayed there for approximately 100 miles with no code.

3. Currently the car is running as good as it ever has and once again is a totally different car. The boost is seamless and it does seem more like a V8. The sound with the oem cat is still pleasantly loud, but, not as harsh as with the high flow cat. The power seems to be the same as with the high flow cat. At this point in time I could not recommend any high flow cat. I am not sure, but, the oem cat feels like it could be producing better power.

I received the Bosch DI manual. This is not GXP specific, but, in the section on the cat, they go into great detail that a three-way reducing cat cannot be used. This motor eliminates the majority of the pollutants and just has to get rid of the NOx. It utilizes a cat referred to as a Nox storage cat. This device stores the Nox in the lean mode and converts it to N2 in when the a/f is less than 14.7. The three-way cat cannot work with the high O2 content that exists in our exhaust system. I think, that this fact has been overlooked by all the suppliers of high flow cats for this car. Maybe Solo Performance can respond. This is not a knock on Solo, the exhaust system is still top notch and the sound /power are remarkable.

Last edited by Jack B; 04-01-2007 at 07:10 PM.
post #60 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jack. We have been spending a lot of time trying to come up with a fix for the cat. I haven't kept you guys well informed about our trials and tribulations in doing this because until recently they all failed. We received lots of advice from engineers and tech's and trial and error has led us to what seems to be a fix. Ultimately we moved the rear O2 sensor bung from the front pipe to the converter. We located it between the bottom cat flange and the rear cat biscuit or in this case stainless coil. From this location we put in an O2 spacer to take the sensor out of the direct line of exhaust gases. It's still a bit early to tell but Shabby has had this fix for about 6 days and about 200 miles and so far so good. I talked to one of the leading tech's in the USA about this fix and he said if it works there would be absolutely no adverse effects and no problem passing any emissions testing. We knew we might have issues with the cats that's why we only released 3 or 4. Lets give Shabby's car a few more days and if the light stays off then either we can ship you the parts to fix it or send us the cat and we'll fix it and ship it back to you. As far as Jack's car not performing as well with the cat I'm puzzled. All of our dyno's and test drives proved to be a big increase. On the dyno 15 HP. The feeling on the test drives...Wow. For those with cat's please check your PM's. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: