SOLO's "N/A AXLE BACK" Exhaust Kit - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 PM

I have now had a few days to test this new exhaust out, and am very impressed with it. It is only a bit louder than stock, but the deeper sound is much improved. This should be standard from the dealer!!

The staff at the Mississauga location were all friendly and knowledgable.

I would recommend this to any N/A owner who wants something a bit different and has a more restricted budget (Not needing a new valance is a big plus).

Thanks all around...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Do you still have this system? It the pre-sale price of $159.00 still effect
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi Venice. Yes we sure do have this kit in stock and ready for shipping. Unfortunately the pre-sale has ended. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions etc. Thanks so much for your interest.
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Sorry to be dumb, but you're saying this system does not require any welding?
I can jack my car up and install it with a sawzall and a few wrenches?
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewzme View Post
Sorry to be dumb, but you're saying this system does not require any welding?
I can jack my car up and install it with a sawzall and a few wrenches?
Yep, but follow the instructions very closely when measuring to cut the existing pipe.

1st 1K - #741
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi Skewzme. Thanks for your interest! Yes DaveOC is right, a sawzall, a 9/16 socket and wrench and a bit of patience is all you need. It's pretty straight forward and we're only a phone call away if you get stuck. Thanks.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Garage
what sort of performance increases would I be able to expect? e.g. horsepower, torque, etc. or is this simply for a more agressive and deeper sound?

Year:2006
Trim: Base
Color: Cool
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Interior: Ebony Cloth Seats
Wheels: Powder Coated Rims
No a/c, power options, etc.
Pre-Production VIN # 6Y100538 of 700.

Modifications:
K&N Hi-Flow Drop-in Filter
PCM4Less ECM Tune
Clear Image Shorty Header
Solo High-Flow CAT
Color Matched Splash Guards (front and rear)
DDM Works Backbone (Street), Pro-beam and Cross-brace
Hankook V12 Evo tires
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO View Post
Thanks very much guys. Hope you are all doing well. The exhaust note is unique. It's a moderate or mid range rumble. It's tricky to get the 2.4 not to drone when you have a resonator. Without a resonator it's even harder. We had to use the big body STORM to do this. It's a mid range wonderful sound that cuts down enough noise not to drone but still has enough sound to have a very nice rumble. On a loudness scale from 1-10 it's about a 5, but a very sweet 5.
How does this compare to the N/A single cat back, is it the same muffler? I know I want more and deeper sound, and if the stock pipe is the same diameter as the cat back system and the muffler is the same, then this makes sense, especially cause I can almost afford this right now before the snow clears.

Fireman Ed
Battle Creek, MI
2008 Carbon Flash (magnetic) Solstice Roadster
Premium pkg, Preferred pkg, Convenience pkg,
Air, Auto, Chrome wheels, Onstar, Monsoon audio,
6-disk, Rear Spoiler,....... oh, and Floor Mats

Mods:

GM molded splash guards (black)
HHR mirror upgrade (Onstar/map lights/compass/auto dim)
Clear front markers made into turn signals with amber LEDs
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ozone and Fireman. Thanks so much for your interest. The axle back is a great "bang for your buck" exhaust set up. The muffler on the N/A axle back set up is our big body Storm muffler and it has been credited many times with the N/A axle back for better gas mileage. I don't have any hard data but several customers have commented to me that the exhaust system will pay for itself in no time due to their gas savings. We did not dyno this system.

You can "tune" an exhaust better if you do a converter back exhaust as opposed to an axle back. You have much more to work with the further up you go. The axle back exhaust sounds wonderful and it doesn't drone. This is no easy feat on the 2.4 N/A without a resonator. The full cat back sounds deeper and "fuller" but nobody has been disappointed with the axle back exhaust note. It's deep, rumbling, aggressive and not "ricey" at all. Thanks.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM

How low and loud of a rumble can you get from the 2.4? I'd love to get the Classic Muscle sound from this little car-- is that possible with half the cylinders?
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi Ignaro. We have been doing performance exhaust at our retail mufflershops since 1968. We designed product especially for the Solstice (front resonator and rear muffler) for our SQR-2 exhaust kit. The SQR-2 is and expensive rear center dual application but it is the closest you'll come on any car to getting a 4 cyl N/A car to sound like a deep mean 8 cyl with no trouble rpm ranges. It has an intoxicating exhaust note. Again it goes back to having more room to "tune" the exhaust. It's a full cat back kit that splits into duals mid way in the car so you can do a lot with it. Our other N/A exhaust kit sound great but the SQR-2 is the prize! Thanks.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO View Post
Hi Ignaro. We have been doing performance exhaust at our retail mufflershops since 1968. We designed product especially for the Solstice (front resonator and rear muffler) for our SQR-2 exhaust kit. The SQR-2 is and expensive rear center dual application but it is the closest you'll come on any car to getting a 4 cyl N/A car to sound like a deep mean 8 cyl with no trouble rpm ranges. It has an intoxicating exhaust note. Again it goes back to having more room to "tune" the exhaust. It's a full cat back kit that splits into duals mid way in the car so you can do a lot with it. Our other N/A exhaust kit sound great but the SQR-2 is the prize! Thanks.
Thanks a ton for the reply. The pennies are being saved! Glad to hear so many great reviews and the exhaust sounds awesome!

: Solo Performance : Exhaust Kits Has video with good sound, if anyone's interested.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

He has posted a video with the exact sound in this thread. Try looking for it, it may answer your questions. Here I'll make it easy for you.

Last edited by Envious06; 01-22-2010 at 06:37 PM.
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Is this set up available for the NA Sky?
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Hi. Yes we have this set up for the Sky as well. We have two types of tips for the sky. Dual, staggered, beveled 3" rounds and a rectangular tip similar to stock. Spiky has the pics and threads on the Skyroadster forum. You could also call Solo at 905-703-1557 for more information/orders etc. Thanks.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: