Aftermarket Stereo - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Stereo

Hello, this is my first post. I read other people’s posts on putting in a aftermarket stereo that works with our steering wheel controls and keeps the chimes but I am so confused on what to get to make that happen. Can someone please post the exact wire harness and everything I will need to keep the steering wheel controls and chimes? Even a link to the items I need to get would be a big help to me. Thank you!
Happy to be with a great group of Solstice lovers! I went from my 1986 Fiero SE 4-Speed Manual V6 2.8l 41,000Miles to my 2007 Solstice GXP Mean Yellow 5-Speed Manual I got earlier this month. Still have the Fiero of course but I might sell it.... I attached pictures. Anyways looking forward to being part of a great group!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97AA77A1-412F-4160-9BCB-894494413659_1559101512810.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	96471   Click image for larger version

Name:	42C933A0-78EA-4143-8650-FEE2062C2182_1559101539830.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	96473  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:53 AM

Garage
I recently went to the Crutchfield website, looked around and finally hooked up with one of their sales associates for an online chat.

I had to know about my audio system: monsoon, bluetooth, etc in order to pick out correct system for car. Got info from accessory codes on glove box door.

Anyways, we agreed on what I wanted and I ordered a radio with GPS and a backup camera along with some more features. Wires, adaptors, to retain steering controls, factory chimes, etc also included.

Delivery expected in a few days but probably will not instal yet as I am on 1st week of knee replacement recovery.

I will post pictures, if you would like.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:43 AM

Pictures are always great
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Crutchfield is the way to go for me as it was literally plug-n-play. In my case I went with a single DIN as I wanted space for some track day extras, but steering wheel controls, chimes, RAP delay, Bluetooth, monsoon etc. all work the same as stock unit. I did not add the digital receiver, but they do have it available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dash1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	96477  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro_2004_2004 View Post
Hello, this is my first post. I read other people’s posts on putting in a aftermarket stereo that works with our steering wheel controls and keeps the chimes but I am so confused on what to get to make that happen. Can someone please post the exact wire harness and everything I will need to keep the steering wheel controls and chimes? Even a link to the items I need to get would be a big help to me. Thank you!
Happy to be with a great group of Solstice lovers! I went from my 1986 Fiero SE 4-Speed Manual V6 2.8l 41,000Miles to my 2007 Solstice GXP Mean Yellow 5-Speed Manual I got earlier this month. Still have the Fiero of course but I might sell it.... I attached pictures. Anyways looking forward to being part of a great group!
Welcome to the Forum, I just replaced my headunit last week, if you order from Crutchfield they will tell you which adapters you will need,(see pic) however I had no luck with getting my steering wheel controls to work- everything else works great, chimes, etc but not the steering wheel controls, my best thought at this time is that it has something to do with the resistance in the wiring as I tried programming it numerous times but to no avail. If I ever take it apart again I may call the support line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	96479   Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	96481  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 AM

I also replaced my headunit last week with all parts purchased from Crutchfield. They offer a custom harness that made it plug and play for me. I did have to put in a new XM tuner but again, plug and play. No soldering, just plug it all in. I replaced a Monsoon system and the steering wheel connections for fine.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. Beautiful pictures of your guys step up! I just love that large screen right in the middle on the console. I will go right to Cruchfield like everyone recommend and chat with them. Thank you all again.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:01 PM

Wow, neat to see and hear that it's not too bad to get a more updated system.

Was debating to stay original but like the Crutchfield option! Looks good!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:00 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I was going to put one of my extra smart tv's in the back seat yesterday when I tried ..I couldent find the back seat....dam the luck. it's been long time since Ive bought from crutch field( possiably 30 + years) they always had awesome service. now days I get the cheep stuff they seem to last as long or longer than the name brands do...( well for all home electronic stuff any way, with the exception of big led tv's, vizio seems to work and last, my mom replaces her dead sony stuff every 3 years ...or less. someday ill get around to putting the head unit in my solstice...too hot and too much other stuff to even open the hood on a car. I need a break..and...winning lottery tickets...and a turbo
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Ironic... I have an '87 5-speed GT and considering moving to the 21st century, currently looking for a GXP myself... also my first post
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Do you really have an 87 Fiero? That’s great! Post some pictures man! I’d love to see her.

Yes, I am really loving my GXP! Just got her in March and It’s my daily driver. I just love it. I thought my yellow color was going to be a bit to much but it has really grown on me and it brings a lot of fun attention too lol.

I saw some nice ones for sale here in the Midwest. I live in Escanaba Michigan which is on the north part of our beautiful Lake Michigan and some weren’t to far away. Let me know if I can help you find one.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Can you guys tell me how much it cost for the wiring and everything you got from Crutchfield? Everything besides the stereo. I know depending oh what stereo I get the price may differ, but I am just curious. Thank you!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter $7.24

Metra 95-3302 Dash Kit $8.69

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface $43.47

GM OnStar GMOS-LAN-03 LAN Data Bus Interface $72.52

Pioneer AVH-601EX $269.99

Bojo Trim Panel Tools $11.99

Posi-Products™ Car Stereo Wiring Harness Connectors $5.99

Total $445.08 US (out the door) - Crutchfield
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Can you guys tell me how much it cost for the wiring and everything you got from Crutchfield? Everything besides the stereo. I know depending oh what stereo I get the price may differ, but I am just curious. Thank you!
I installed a different radio (Kenwood dmx 771hd) but the wiring and interfaces that ZINGER listed were pretty much the same as mine.

Bill
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 PM

Make note that according to Axxess, the GMOS-LAN-03 LAN Data Bus Interface is for cars without Monsoon, and the GMOS-LAN-04 LAN Data Bus Interface is for Monsoon equipped cars.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode