1Likes
  • 1 Post By phil1734

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Autoblog Junkyard Gem Solstice Article 9/19

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/04/...tiac-solstice/ w/pics

Featured
Junkyard Gem: 2006 Pontiac Solstice

Crashed Solstices (and, presumably, Saturn Skies) have now depreciated sufficiently to appear in cheap self-service junkyards.

Murilee Martin 9/4/19

The debut of the Pontiac Solstice, back in 2005 for the 2006 model year, stirred up much excitement in the automotive world. Sales were brisk at first, and then they weren't so great… and then Pontiac itself went under The General's cost-cutting axe. One thing I heave learned during my junkyard travels is that even sought-after sports cars eventually reach a point at which they start showing up in the big self-service junkyards. For example, the BMW Z3 began appearing in such yards about five years ago, along with the Audi TT. While the Honda S2000 still appears to be exempt from this process, today's Junkyard Gem shows that the time has now come for the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky.

The first Z3s and TTs I saw in the U-Wrench-type yards were crash victims, not worth fixing, and that's the case with this Solstice. In a few more years, I'll start seeing the occasional Solstice/Sky discarded due to general worn-outness.

Someone grabbed all the undented front body parts and the transmission (these items, presumably, being valuable), but no junkyard shoppers have felt like pulling the non-turbo 2.0-liter Ecotec.

The interior seems dirty, probably from exposure to the elements while sitting outdoors in this Colorado Springs wrecking yard, but not in bad shape otherwise.

Perhaps the car's owner celebrated a return from Iraq with the purchase of a sporty new Pontiac, 13 years ago.

These cars have an enthusiastic following, so I wasn't expecting to see a junked one so soon after production ceased. I felt the same way about the Chrysler Crossfire, however, and I found two of those last year.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Lots of value there for someone that wants to go picking.

There was a solstice in a junkyard in Howell MI about two years ago. The bodywork was picked clean but I took all 4 AC vents, the tulip panel doors and a few chrome trim rings. The cashier wanted $8, but took the $6 cash I had over a credit card sale.

Needless to say I made a healthy and quick profit on everything acquired that day.
sirwm likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode