Black Blade wind deflector - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Black Blade wind deflector

Pontiac Solstice Windscreen Wind Deflector

It is my highest hope that I can in some little way contribute back to the forum for some of the outstanding help I have been given.

I wanted to give some feedback on a product that I bought, of which I hope it helps.

I love convertibles. I do not love the wind whipping my long hair, (yes longhair, especially for a guy). And my girlfriend doesn't like it either. Having convertibles in the past I learned that wind deflectors are great things to add to cut down on the wind hitting one from the rear.

The URL above is the wind deflector I purchased. I got it primarily because it works by suction cups. One does not have to alter the body. Cut into the body. Drill. All that. And if you want to take it off you simply left it off, and put it back down. and for somebody like me, I am sure I'm not the only one, though in my estimation if one is motivated enough to join a forum, it seems that one would be handy to some degree, so I'm probably the least handy guy on this forum, nevertheless, for somebody like me who is not handy at all, things like this that need no maintenance or whatever really help.

If you sell the car, you can keep it for your next car if you get the same type of car. And maybe the new owner would not like that the body was altered. Etc.

I find the wind deflection of this particular when deflector to be very good. Perfect? No. It simply does in my opinion a very good job of cutting down on the wind.

The suction cups work flawlessly. I've had no issues whatsoever. So far it is held up perfectly. It looks good too. I also feel it is reasonably priced.

I also feel these wonderful wind deflectors can extend the season for the convertible use of the car for those of us who live in seasonal climates. I am in New York and with these wind deflectors I found that I can comfortably drive in the spring and fall with appropriate clothing, also w/ the trick of turning the heat on blowing down and up causing a sort of circular heat bubble in the cockpit which is kind of an amazing phenomenon.

So there it is. This wind deflector gets my thumbs up. I recommend it highly.
Sting Ya and Rphillips66 like this.

2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
GM Tune
DDM Brace Kit
WindRestrictor

Last edited by MischievousGuru; 07-07-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Position: Against the deck, directly behind the rear seats.
Pontiac Wind Deflector
Problem: Effective, but inelegant. There is no native attachment mechanism for the windscreen to hang onto, so the windscreen is typically cobbled into place with either tacky tape, or drilling holes and holding down with screws.
Position: Mount directly onto the body of the car between the camel humps.
Pontiac Wind Deflector
Solution: Use a non-obtrusive way to mount the windblocker onto the Solstice without any permanent modifications, and without compromising any other section of the car.
Ya I can see how the very visible suction cups are way more elegant than the WindRestrictor® method of installing. And the Back blade looks way more secure!

Bert

MischievousGuru likes this.

$$$The Madness Never Ends$$$
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 AM

Not a big fan of the suction cups. Is there a guaranteed speed that they'll hold on to? Honestly, the only way to go is Windrestrictor. Everyone here will tell you that. Their customer service is unbeatable. You could have had a custom design etched in your Windrestrictor as well. Not too mention they are a major forum sponsor. And for close to the same price you paid.... The nice thing about Windrestrictor is that there is no need to ever remove it. Top up or top down...it doesn't matter. And there is no permanent modification with the Windrestrictor v2. There is no need to drill holes (unless you chose the illuminated version, then you would have to drill a hole for wiring) for v2. You simply apply their Dual Lock Velcro behind the seats on the waterfall panel. So it doesn't mount between the humps and rear decklid, it mounts just behind the seats and leaves no gaps below for airflow to come through.

Quoted from Windrestrictor website: "This deflector mounts with a special material called Dual Lock no drilling or permanent modification required,. Once the product is mounted, the mounting system is hidden. It's 1/4" thick and very strong. The product is engineered to remain in place once installed. A lifetime warranty is included with your purchase which guarantees that the product will never fade, yellow, peel, or crack like others on the market."

Basically you put industrial Velcro (and it's good to over 100mph IMSMC) just behind the seats and it attaches to it. I've had my car to 95mph and never had an issue with my Windrestrictor.

Next time, ask the forum here about their opinions on a product. Many have "been there, done that". Most of us are HUGE Windrestrictor supporters. I have had many dealings with them (for items and installation, not problems) and their customer service has been top notch, including phone calls back on Sunday evening at 8pm as I was trying to install a product. I would guess that about 98% of the people here that have some sort of wind device have a Windrestrictor. Windrestrictor is a top notch company with a top notch product that is incredibly easy to install. Next time, just ask, we can give you our honest experiences with companies. Heck, we can even tell you if you need any mechanical skills to do something!!! I've been where you are skill wise, now there isn't too much I can't do, it's just a matter of "if" I want to do it!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 07-07-2017 at 05:48 AM.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the kind words guys!

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Paul10" save 10%
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Not a big fan of the suction cups. Is there a guaranteed speed that they'll hold on to? Honestly, the only way to go is Windrestrictor. Everyone here will tell you that. Their customer service is unbeatable. You could have had a custom design etched in your Windrestrictor as well. Not too mention they are a major forum sponsor. And for close to the same price you paid.... The nice thing about Windrestrictor is that there is no need to ever remove it. Top up or top down...it doesn't matter. And there is no permanent modification with the Windrestrictor v2. There is no need to drill holes (unless you chose the illuminated version, then you would have to drill a hole for wiring) for v2. You simply apply their Dual Lock Velcro behind the seats on the waterfall panel. So it doesn't mount between the humps and rear decklid, it mounts just behind the seats and leaves no gaps below for airflow to come through.

Quoted from Windrestrictor website: "This deflector mounts with a special material called Dual Lock no drilling or permanent modification required,. Once the product is mounted, the mounting system is hidden. It's 1/4" thick and very strong. The product is engineered to remain in place once installed. A lifetime warranty is included with your purchase which guarantees that the product will never fade, yellow, peel, or crack like others on the market."

Basically you put industrial Velcro (and it's good to over 100mph IMSMC) just behind the seats and it attaches to it. I've had my car to 95mph and never had an issue with my Windrestrictor.

Next time, ask the forum here about their opinions on a product. Many have "been there, done that". Most of us are HUGE Windrestrictor supporters. I have had many dealings with them (for items and installation, not problems) and their customer service has been top notch, including phone calls back on Sunday evening at 8pm as I was trying to install a product. I would guess that about 98% of the people here that have some sort of wind device have a Windrestrictor. Windrestrictor is a top notch company with a top notch product that is incredibly easy to install. Next time, just ask, we can give you our honest experiences with companies. Heck, we can even tell you if you need any mechanical skills to do something!!! I've been where you are skill wise, now there isn't too much I can't do, it's just a matter of "if" I want to do it!

you are correct, I should have asked here first, I believe it's too late now since his been some time, and though I agree with what you are saying, and only if I knew that it would have been so easy to just put Velcro strips on, and probably stronger than the suction cups, and that they are a sponsor here, but, on the positive side, actually had taken his car over 100 miles an hour many times, and there's been absolutely no movement or problem with the suction cup wind deflector whatsoever. So while what you say about ASCII versus true, and the wind deflector you mention is probably much better, I still say that it is nice to be able to just pick it up very quickly and not even have Velcro glued to the car, and don't think I can go any faster or ride any harder and so far nothing has happened. Worse case scenario I lost $150, though I think the guy guarantees it, and I would just get the other one, but I don't think anything is going to happen.

GM Tune
DDM Brace Kit
WindRestrictor
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 PM

I'm sure the product you purchased functions fine, the issue I would have is with the reliability of the suction cups. (I've been in the plastics business for 35 years now.) Most are made out of PVC which is by nature a brittle plastic. Additives are put into it to make it flexible and that's why you can get a flexible PVC "beach ball" that works fine but eventually fails.

The suction cups will eventually get brittle and will fail. Ultraviolet light (sun) will accelerate this process. The seller will gladly send you new suction cups as they are a minor cost to them and there is nothing wrong with that.

The velcro from Windrestrictor is not "glued" to the car but is held there with a pressure sensitive adhesive that won't harm the surface any more than the suction cup. It would require a little more care to remove it if you should desire to do so, but didn't you buy a wind restrictor with the intention of using it?

I'm sure your purchase works fine and hope it continues to do so for many years. Your feedback here is important to us and we all appreciate your feedback! It's the feedback of all of use members than continues to make this forum so valuable!

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
I'm sure the product you purchased functions fine, the issue I would have is with the reliability of the suction cups. (I've been in the plastics business for 35 years now.) Most are made out of PVC which is by nature a brittle plastic. Additives are put into it to make it flexible and that's why you can get a flexible PVC "beach ball" that works fine but eventually fails.

The suction cups will eventually get brittle and will fail. Ultraviolet light (sun) will accelerate this process. The seller will gladly send you new suction cups as they are a minor cost to them and there is nothing wrong with that.

The velcro from Windrestrictor is not "glued" to the car but is held there with a pressure sensitive adhesive that won't harm the surface any more than the suction cup. It would require a little more care to remove it if you should desire to do so, but didn't you buy a wind restrictor with the intention of using it?

I'm sure your purchase works fine and hope it continues to do so for many years. Your feedback here is important to us and we all appreciate your feedback! It's the feedback of all of use members than continues to make this forum so valuable!
Very well put, and very wise words. But of course none of this is meant as any offense to our friendly forum wind deflector supporter; we are just openly discussing various options. And the deflector that I have is indeed a viable in my opinion very good option that bypasses other wonderful actors that from what I understand require some minor to medium to major surgery to install. I installed it in a minute or two, literally. And I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person on this forum. I spoke with them before I bought it, very nice people, and great customer service.

I have never seen tested experienced the other wind deflector. as far as the suction cups in such wearing out, I mean what ever is used it will probably wear out in time. I will deal with that at that time. It's only 150 bucks. We forum members tend to blow a lot of money on these cars, in the long run in the big picture I don't really think it matters all that much. I can only say again that I am absolutely 100% thrilled with the one I have. They may not be a supporter of this forum, that does not mean it is not an option. In my opinion it is. Though it is only one man's opinion.

GM Tune
DDM Brace Kit
WindRestrictor
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboborino View Post
Ya I can see how the very visible suction cups are way more elegant than the WindRestrictor® method of installing. And the Back blade looks way more secure!

Bert

all I can say is yes and I agree

GM Tune
DDM Brace Kit
WindRestrictor
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 06:28 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
One of the benefits of Windrestrictor is the illuminated custom graphics!
I have several

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1289337

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1764889

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Last edited by rob the elder; 07-09-2017 at 08:01 AM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Windrestrictor has been a strong supporter of the community from the beginning. Many of us know them personally and have great respect for their integrity and love their products.

We have also seen crap and know it for what it is.

What you are seeing is the honest opinion of long term users of this forum.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Founding Member

When I 1st looked at the pictures of this product, I thought no way can this stay in place with suction cups on the bottom edge of the glass,
and place on top of the tulip panel, then I realized there is a gap of what it looks like a 3/8th to a 1/2 inch, that lets the air flow threw it.
Clever design but it looks chesse or cheap.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
One of the benefits of Windrestrictor is the illuminated custom graphics!
I have several

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1289337

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1764889
and very cool stuff, indeed

GM Tune
DDM Brace Kit
WindRestrictor
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

update on the BackBlade (hereinafter: BB).

once again you guys were right. One of you mentioned that there is a gap near the suction cups, and sure enough I realized there was a lot of wind cutting in there. Also I have pushed this car very hard at many times, very fast days, it was holding up, though I did notice that the suction cups did move, cannot proof positive say it was the wind, either way it should not be moving.

I called the company you guys recommended: Windrestrictor
they were absolutely over-the-top cool.
I ordered one, it should be here tomorrow. Will of course give an update once it is installed.
I am returning the BB.

As always thanks for what appears to be really good advice once again.
MomsSol likes this.

GM Tune
DDM Brace Kit
WindRestrictor

Last edited by MischievousGuru; 07-21-2017 at 02:37 AM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Founding Member

Do not return them yet.
Those BB seat higher than the Windrestrictor, so you may experience a bit more air coming into the cabin than the BB.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischievousGuru View Post
update on the BackBlade (hereinafter: BB).

once again you guys were right. One of you mentioned that there is a gap near the suction cups, and sure enough I realized there was a lot of wind cutting in there. Also I have pushed this car very hard at many times, very fast days, it was holding up, though I did notice that the suction cups did move, cannot proof positive say it was the wind, either way it should not be moving.

I called the company you guys recommended: Windrestrictor
they were absolutely over-the-top cool.
I ordered one, it should be here tomorrow. Will of course give an update once it is installed.
I am returning the BB.

As always thanks for what appears to be really good advice once again.
Welcome to the family Guru!

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Paul10" save 10%
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode