Can they be registered as a COLLECTABLE - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By wspohn
  • 2 Post By Sting Ya

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Can they be registered as a COLLECTABLE

I have heard that people are tilting there Cars as Collectables. I have 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Can i register it as Collectable? Does vin#mean anything? Know mine was made in 2007 Fist month. Really want to register it as one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent1313 View Post
I have heard that people are tilting there Cars as Collectables. I have 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Can i register it as Collectable? Does vin#mean anything? Know mine was made in 2007 Fist month. Really want to register it as one.
The best way to find the answer to your question is to go to your state's DMV site. They will have all requirement necessary to title your car as a collectible.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much..
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Are you confusing titling with registering and insuring ?

I have seen a lot of discussion about collector car insurance, but Kentucky, at least, only has one title.
We can register a vehicle as a classic after it gets to (I think) 30 years old.
We can insure it in any way that our insurance company will go along with, as long as that insurance is always active.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:46 PM

In MI: Michigan has a long and proud history as the automotive center of the world. Many residents enjoy restoring and collecting vintage automobiles, trucks, and motorcycles. Since 1956, the state has issued historic and authentic license plates for antique vehicles used in parades, fairs, car shows, swap meets, and other events.

Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:
•26 or more years old
•Owned solely as a collector's item
•Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows

Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation; however, the law does allow for vehicles with a valid historical or authentic license plate to be driven at any time, including as daily transportation, during the month of August.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 07-15-2019 at 05:04 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 PM

In Wisconsin a vehicle can be titled with a "collector" plate if it meets the following: must be 20 years old or more, must be pretty much stock ( not enforced much), owner must have other vehicle(s) registered, vehicle can't be on the road in the month of January. I believe the fee is twice the normal registration fee plus a one time handling fee. After that the plate is good for life, no renewal as long as you own the car. Once a person has a collector plate number other vehicles owned by that person can be registered with a "collector special" plate with the same number. Additional vehicles will have that number followed by a letter ex. A, B, C etc. I currently have four cars and a truck with the same plate # followed by a different letter. All of the newer vehicles have to be renewed annually.
Collector Insurance depends on the insurance company. American Modern will issue a collector policy with agreed value on a ten year old vehicle if they see fit.

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Garage
My coupe gets in in five years - our rules require 15 years old for any car that less than 1500 were made (otherwise it is 25 years).
easyryderca likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:23 PM

There are several different requirements for "collector" license plates.

• The vehicle needs to be at least 20 years old.

• The owner must prove that he or she also has one or more vehicles with regular license plates.

• The vehicle must be owned and operated solely as a collector's item and not for general transportation purposes.

What are general transportation purposes? To law enforcement, it means you can drive it to show it, but you cannot use it to go to work, school, shopping and other everyday activities. It is going to be a judgment call on the part of the officer, but the intent of the law is to use it only for fairs, shows, etc., and not as another vehicle for your family.

As the owner, you are responsible for maintaining the proper registration on your vehicle. So if you were in violation of one of those requirements listed above, you could be charged with:

• Improper use of registration - a misdemeanor (90 days and/or $1,000 fine).

• Intent to escape tax - a gross misdemeanor (up to one year and/or $3,000 fine), depending on the situation.

The license plates also would be subject to impoundment. So if you are going to use the vehicle for other purposes, have regular plates on it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Let me start off by saying my Solstice is registered in Ohio as a " Collector Car " my Chevelle is registered as a "Historical Vehicle " the difference being that the Chevelle is 25 years or older and I only have to register it once where the Solstice has to have it's "Collector "plate renewed yearly . Both cars are limited as far as mileage driven yearly ,you must have another vehicle registered in your name ie:daily driver so again you cannot use it as an every day car . I have a thread explaining all I went through it took 2 tries and from what the DMV told me at the time mine was only the second one in Ohio with this designation . As mentioned above your best bet is to contact your DMV and see if you can even register it as a "Collectable Car " I know some states don't have this .
ChopTop and easyryderca like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Hmmm. I guess every state is, or can be, different. That's good advice ... to check with your state DMV. Momsol said it first!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:40 AM

What state or country do you live in Vincent?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

I live in PA. It says if already a collectable then just submit form. If not have to mod the engine and exhaust. Then i can recive waver. Or each year if i have to put out more then $150 to make it pass emmisions then i can get another waiver. I rather fix it. If not gutting cat and running pipes right down. Prob cost about $800 to about $1200 depends on who i get to do. And engine just had new turbo on then i can show paper work on both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode