Carbon Fiber - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Carbon Fiber

Love the look just placed an order for all trim and dash in car. It is very costly why? I seen hood reg $795 with carbon fiber scoops $1500 is it really that expensive? And what so you all think about the carbon fiber look I love it. And if you all know other parts I can replace with it let me know. Like I said doing whole inside that way can't wait till I get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent1313 View Post
Love the look just placed an order for all trim and dash in car. It is very costly why? I seen hood reg $795 with carbon fiber scoops $1500 is it really that expensive? And what so you all think about the carbon fiber look I love it. And if you all know other parts I can replace with it let me know. Like I said doing whole inside that way can't wait till I get.
Sorry 07 GXP And I bought a carbon fiber inside door panel's and whole dash.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:26 PM

Garage
i bought a set of the carbon fiber/3m tape for the inside of my Skpel. Ended up not liking it. I know @Robotech has it on his dash and door panels.

True Carbon Fiber is quite expensive, but not used much in our level of cars.

The stuff you see on the newer cars isn't really carbon fiber, hydro dipped vinyl, and then clear coated. I have to admit I am a fan of the look though.

My wheels are hydro dipped carbon fiber, the black part of the hood and rear deck are carbon fiber vinyl. Door handles, hood vents and grill are all done the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	98991  
Northern Sol likes this.

Last edited by skersfan; 08-24-2019 at 08:55 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:23 AM

Are there indeed new cars that use fake carbon fiber ?

I always thought the owner did that for looks (and to increase the weight of their ride )
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 AM

I have been learning hydro dipping to do some interior parts. I have done the door switch housings and parking brake handle and getting ready to try the dash. There is a definite learning curve to it. We'll see what the future brings for my projects
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:31 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
carbon fiber is expensive,it's also very fragile.chips oh so eazy at the edges. for strength they usually use carbon/Kevlar blend. it is very lablr intensive since it's visable.it's very eazy to get a slight snag or belmish.thus the expensive part.we had carbon fiber doors, nose,body,deck lid on our last 2 race cars.the last one(promod) the doors were about 2 lbs each.and you were very carfull when handing them between rounds, the entire 1 peice hood fenders,scoop was probably less than 20 pounds. long ago my boss had a carbon70 cigarette boat it was much lighter than the std boat of that model, it was a carbon kevlar mix.mostly kevlar from what I was told so it did not have the cracking issues.boats take a lot of pounding. kevalr is a bout as light as glass, but can use less resin and layered between the carbon fiber..I do miss the performance marina I used to work at and I ran the machine shop machining/building the pussy boat engines. hurricane washed the marina away back in 95 .it was almost 1/2 sq mile facility.not including the machine shop portion on high ground.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Garage
Carbon fiber is the new 'in' thing, but only the really high end expensive cars actually have any of the real stuff. The rest make do with a much lower cost for fake CF that looks like the real thing.

One car I own has a 'carbon fiber' intake kit available for $850 - only one small piece is actual CF but apparently that is enough to allow them to use the buzzword and attract idiots that want to be able to say they possess some CF even though you can't see it unless you open the bonnet. Actual weight saving between it and a GRP part is insignificant.

Decent article on why it is so expensive. https://gizmodo.com/why-is-carbon-fi...ensive-5843276

The look of CF has become popular because it is associated with space use and high end cars, or just because some people like it (I am not one of them, I can take it or leave it). This trend has also resulted in the use of the term 'carbon' for finishes that have nothing to do with CF, but is just what would have been called simply 'black' if it would sell as well that way.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
i bought a set of the carbon fiber/3m tape for the inside of my Skpel. Ended up not liking it. I know @Robotech has it on his dash and door panels.

True Carbon Fiber is quite expensive, but not used much in our level of cars.

The stuff you see on the newer cars isn't really carbon fiber, hydro dipped vinyl, and then clear coated. I have to admit I am a fan of the look though.

My wheels are hydro dipped carbon fiber, the black part of the hood and rear deck are carbon fiber vinyl. Door handles, hood vents and grill are all done the same way.
Nice congratulations. The kit I had carbon fiber cheapest then said real carbon fiber more expensive but of course picked real. And even if just dipped the look is amazing. It just dazzles me. Even considering hood that is 2 times price just for hood induction scoops are carbon fiber.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I have been learning hydro dipping to do some interior parts. I have done the door switch housings and parking brake handle and getting ready to try the dash. There is a definite learning curve to it. We'll see what the future brings for my projects
That's what I got real carbon fiber. Dash kit comes with 13 pieces more expensive then other carbon kits but sweet.
Does dash and doors.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Carbon fiber is the new 'in' thing, but only the really high end expensive cars actually have any of the real stuff. The rest make do with a much lower cost for fake CF that looks like the real thing.

One car I own has a 'carbon fiber' intake kit available for $850 - only one small piece is actual CF but apparently that is enough to allow them to use the buzzword and attract idiots that want to be able to say they possess some CF even though you can't see it unless you open the bonnet. Actual weight saving between it and a GRP part is insignificant.

Decent article on why it is so expensive. https://gizmodo.com/why-is-carbon-fi...ensive-5843276

The look of CF has become popular because it is associated with space use and high end cars, or just because some people like it (I am not one of them, I can take it or leave it). This trend has also resulted in the use of the term 'carbon' for finishes that have nothing to do with CF, but is just what would have been called simply 'black' if it would sell as well that way.
Very interesting article thank you was nice read.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM

I made fenders and the inner supports. Saved a bunch of weight, but even DIY, it was very expensive in materials and time to get done.

Fender 1
Fender 2

Supports 1
Supports 2

I still need to drill out the mounting holes so I can put the Pontiac emblems on, but have been too busy. :/

A hood for $1500 is super cheap, and partly that's because it's not really built in a way that gives all the advantages of using carbon fiber. (I hear they fit terribly, too, and I believe it, because I've tried at least one of those vendors on a previous car and fitment was awful.)
raygun likes this.

Instagram: @slab8
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Slab8, it looks like yours were vac formed with a mold.
Could you not recoup some of your time and money by doing a short run for those that are interested?
I know some have expressed interest in inner fender liners if you are looking for another project. Even better if you can do them in carbon/kev which looks fabulous in sunlight

Last edited by sLAsh; 09-04-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Garage
we do a fair amount of carbon fiber machining where i work. it is all plate and billet stuff though. anywhere from 1/16 to 4 inches thick. we have machined formula 1 rotors and pads as well as aircraft brake systems. we see all kinds of weaves depending on the application. i did some doors for a compartment on a satellite. the material was around 3mm thick and the strongest CF i've seen yet. we had some leftover material and my 97 eagle talon ended up with some gauge and switch panels made out of the stuff. it looked really cool when the surface was ground. didn't even need clear coat. i still have a couple pieces, i think i'll make some airbag light covers.

and yes, it was bulletproof. a 9mm wouldn't even crack it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190905_090633.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	99203  
raygun likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by slab8 View Post
I made fenders and the inner supports.
Very cool! I'm in the middle of figuring out vacuum bagging and resin infusion. Working on some glass fenders at the moment. Once I get my bridging issue worked out (thus, moving from hand layup to bagging), the plan is to make a set in CF as well as a trunk lid.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Very cool! I'm in the middle of figuring out vacuum bagging and resin infusion. Working on some glass fenders at the moment. Once I get my bridging issue worked out (thus, moving from hand layup to bagging), the plan is to make a set in CF as well as a trunk lid.
You should look up the experimental aircraft guys. They have, or used to have, inexpensive classes on a variety of things, and we have gone to a couple of their classes on composite construction.

For carbon fiber, buying pre-preg material is (or at least was) the way to go.
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode