Cold Weather... any odd things happening yet? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Cold Weather... any odd things happening yet?

Here in Chicago the weather has been hitting freezing points... which gets a couple of my cars to act up. Weird noises, alarms not responding the way they should, locks not coperating, and so on.

For those of you with a Sol in the cold areas, wanted to know if you've noticed anything odd yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
well...check my thread on ECOTEC Computer problems

can't say for sure it is cold-weather-related...but when I get Merlin back from the dealership with a new PCM I'll know a lot more for sure

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Sol Driving Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integraoligist
Here in Chicago the weather has been hitting freezing points... which gets a couple of my cars to act up. Weird noises, alarms not responding the way they should, locks not coperating, and so on.

For those of you with a Sol in the cold areas, wanted to know if you've noticed anything odd yet?
Yep. There have been reports in other threads that people are out driving around in very cold temps with coats on and tops down.

Wait, you asked the people that already have their cars. Nevermind....

Soon, very soon, I should be able to give you a better answer...I hope. Mine is near, can almost smell it, and I plan to drive it in the cold with the top down.

Wicked 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe on order 24 October 2008 Produced 7 April 2009 Delivered 6 May 2009 VIN 1G2MT25X59Y000038 (Watched her come off the truck)

Original 2006 NA Ordered: 8 Sep 2005 Delivered to dealer 15 Dec 2005 (Watched her come off the truck) Traded 6 May 2009 #5357
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Founding Member

Dylan01 has nothing to report on. Over.

2006 Pontiac Solstice
VIN 1,715
4,500mi

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:

I am not to far from Chicago. The only problem I am seeing so far, is water getting between the gaskets and windows or top and freezing. When you open the door or top you might tear the gasket, making you more prone to water leaks.

Trinity
Slyl/Power/Convenience/Premium/
MP3/Monsoon/AC/LSD/ABS/Floormats
polished wheels
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2
well...check my thread on ECOTEC Computer problems

can't say for sure it is cold-weather-related...but when I get Merlin back from the dealership with a new PCM I'll know a lot more for sure
yes, let us know as soon as you can, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan01
Dylan01 has nothing to report on. Over.
Over... OVER?... NOTHING IS OVER UNTIL WE SAY IT'S OVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBUNNY
I am not to far from Chicago. The only problem I am seeing so far, is water getting between the gaskets and windows or top and freezing. When you open the door or top you might tear the gasket, making you more prone to water leaks.
yikes, sounds like a recall waiting to happen.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:

I also live in Chicago and I had to take my car in to the dealer already. The buttress on the passenger side refused to lock down in cold weather. The latches don't pop out all the way in the trunk. The dealer told me that they readjusted the latch and lubricated it. Hopefully this will not happen anymore. Not being able to access the trunk all winter will truly suck.

Another thing that might help from the windows freezing to the seals is to lubricate the seals with a light coat of oil. This will help prevent tearing the seals in the winter.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Founding Member

The only thing I've noticed is some excessive rattling of the passenger door panel when I go over bumps, which I assume is related to different rates of shrinkage in the materials during cold temps. I am bringing the car to the dealer on Friday for an unrelated window seal problem, so I may ask them to take a look at it. May be just a loose panel.

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Acbunny, use some armorall, or baby oil on the gaskets will keep them pliable and help prevent sticking.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing"

GXP, Deep, premium, power, convenience, a/c, 6 disk/MP3,XM,Monsoon, chromed whls, acoustic headliner

Location https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/v...0026855&zoom=4
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM

When the transmission is cold I find it hard to shift into 2nd until it warms up. I'm not sure if this is normal with manual cars as I am new to them.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:57 PM

No Cold Problems in SE Michigan

Quote:

Been driving my Sol to work in the freezing cold (top up of course). Have not noticed any significant problems - other than the frozen roads of Michigan giving me quite a bump here and there. Will probably put her up for the winter though. Not sure if I should disconnect the battery - or if the rundown protection is good enough - or just periodically start her up in January/February/March.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschimp
Been driving my Sol to work in the freezing cold (top up of course). Have not noticed any significant problems - other than the frozen roads of Michigan giving me quite a bump here and there. Will probably put her up for the winter though. Not sure if I should disconnect the battery - or if the rundown protection is good enough - or just periodically start her up in January/February/March.
Might I suggest getting a battery maintainer.I just got one today for my brothers Chirstmas present.Their pertty cheap at wallyworld.

Envious,Sand/Steel,LSD,ABS,A/C,Premium Package,Power Package, Convenience Package,MP3,Floor Mats,Roof Liner,Painted Wheels
Werks Turbo Stage II,Werks high flow cat,AEM Meth /Water injection,AEM gauges, Magnaflow duels,DDM pro beam, DDM induction piping and tune.313 RWHP,351 WTQ

I Am What I Am And Thats All I Am
It's not easy being green
Lead,Follow,or Get over.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeDesire
When the transmission is cold I find it hard to shift into 2nd until it warms up. I'm not sure if this is normal with manual cars as I am new to them.
I'd have to say thats normal with a Manual, both my Acura and Audi are a little "notchy" in the winter time unstill their warmed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschimp
As for winter storage options, with my bikes I found it to be easier and for some reasonbetter for the battery and engine to just start them up and let them warmup and run for about 20-30 min. ever 2 weeks or so.
My buddy's has a "Battery Tender" that he's used for a couple of years now, usually he's got to get a new bike battery after 2 years while mine usually last 4-5. Don't know why that is... but some people swear by the Battery Tender so to each his own.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Just called my dealer about your concern. He said that GM makes a product called "Weatherstrip Conditioner" which is a roll-on type of liquid. This should take care of any problems with freezing. However, it costs about $70. Yikes!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 PM

I've had a slight rattle in the dash in the morning. Once the cabin has warmed up, it goes away though.

I'm having 2nd gear issues not related to the cold and when 2nd doesn't want to play nice, I pretend my Sol came equiped with a 1-3 skip shift. So if you're running into cold 2nd gear problems, that's an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode