4Likes
  • 2 Post By phil1734
  • 1 Post By phil1734
  • 1 Post By Sting Ya

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Correct Hardware for Tire Balance

Hello,

I recently had my tires balanced, and the shop use stick on weights. Yesterday I discovered one strand of these weights lying on the floor of the garage.

What are some better / correct approaches to balancing Solstice tires?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:28 AM

A different shop.

There are only two forms of wheel weights I'm aware of. Stick on and clip on, and you don't want to be putting clip on weights on solstice wheels. If the stick on ones fell off it's because whoever installed them didn't give a crap about the job they were doing. They normally don't even come off when you want them to.
Sting Ya and Rphillips66 like this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 AM

Tru dat, if done properly they require a chisel or similar to remove, I've been using them for over 20 years and never had one fall off, like phil1734 said- they didn't give a crap-lazy!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I also wonder if the surface condition of the wheels is a factor. My wheels have what looks like surface corrosion (?), that could possibly be eliminated with cleaning and polishing (?). Maybe this would allow for better adhesion of stick on weights (?).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Do you have chrome or painted wheels? And did the chrome/paint come off with the weights?

Otherwise you have to have a lot of dirt, dust or corrosion on wheels before they won't stick, and again - the tire shop should have cleaned that up or at least told you they had a concern before they gave the car back to you. Even a modest wipe with a dry rag and most weights will stick for way longer than the life of any tires.
Sting Ya likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
Do you have chrome or painted wheels? And did the chrome/paint come off with the weights?

Otherwise you have to have a lot of dirt, dust or corrosion on wheels before they won't stick, and again - the tire shop should have cleaned that up or at least told you they had a concern before they gave the car back to you. Even a modest wipe with a dry rag and most weights will stick for way longer than the life of any tires.
I have the polished aluminum wheels (not painted).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Garage
the shop should use a cleaner to clean the area that they are placing the weight in (I use brake clean, spray it on a clean rag )
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM

They should not fall off, take it back to the installer and have them rebalance the tire and check the others for loose weights.

2008 NA, factory chrome wheels, power windows, wind deflector, OnStar.

Midland, GA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 PM

Lacquer thinner and some steel wool does wonders
Rick Bennett likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Anyone try tire beads ?
I have 5hem in my harley and see they are used for all types of tires but not sure if they would mess with the tmps
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:37 PM

The Counteract website says they are compatible with TPMS, but only lists applications for trucks, motorcycles, and off-road. The calculator will not accept our tire size, either.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:15 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I dont know if lead weights are still around or if there all steel now, some of my wheels have led and some steel. I agree the give-a-****less person who did it did not clean them first. or not conform them to the wheel's arc. I bought a box of lead stickeys about 10 years ago for my light weight forged vw wheels. Im gladd I bought the box!!! the steel weights can rust.

on another note....my wheels are the polished wheels. are they clear coated??they dont really look like they are but...this is my first go round with factory non color painted aluminum wheels. rsx wheels painted, and my bug wheels are 6061t6....a bitch to keep clean& polished but look like a mirror. and my chrome wheels are...clear coated....foggy,pealing..and well over 20 years old.
so are my solstice wheels clear coated or just polished?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:58 PM

I havent done it on the Solstice, but on my rods when I would get them balanced, I always put duct tape over them.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
I havent done it on the Solstice, but on my rods when I would get them balanced, I always put duct tape over them.
That's what we used to do on the race car wheels, and they never came off. You do have to ensure that the weights aren't stuck onto a layer of corrosion on an alloy wheel....

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Metal foil tape (the stuff you actually put on the ducts in your basement) works well and blends into chrome/polished aluminum better.

But again, these things should never really come off. Racecars do it because of the excessive heat and fluids that can get on them and there's a certain level of aircraft-level no-failure-is-acceptable attention to detail.

2007 Solstice GXP

Last edited by phil1734; 04-07-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode