counter balance in trunk - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

counter balance in trunk

Hello everybody,, I have been reading on this site for a while now, I own a 2006 N/A for about 3 years now. I enjoy the car a lot. Recently the trunk would not stay open, I noticed that there is a counter balance system there. I don't know if it works off a spring or levers. has anybody have this problem yet ? and if you did , Did you repair it or took it to a chevy dealer ?I am almost tempted to remove the rear valance and see what going on in there. I have learned from past experience sometimes to let this stuff to a pro.
Thanks for any help.
Jerry B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 PM

There are torsin rod springs that open the trunk. Some have had them break and more have had them just get weak. They can be bought quite cheaply, but not the easiest things to replace.

RobTheElder did a howto write up somewhere. https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...-spring-74222/

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 PM

Here's a cheap, easy solution:

Trunk springs mod - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
bds

I tried the springs Rusty Boltz recommend. They were inexpensive and worked but needed replaced every so often. I was going to resort to replacing the torsion bars but I guessed the new ones would wear out over time as well. Not to mention the effort necessary to replace them.

I chose to use a spring strut to 'automatically' open the trunk lid.

My trunk lid had gotten to the point that it would barely raise above the latch when I would push the opener button.

I came across an aftermarket supplier in Germany that designed brackets that mounted a gas strut to replace the torsion bars. Based on their design I was able to fabricate my own and it works perfectly. Much more 'elegant' in design than the torsion bars IMHO. And reliable.

Now when I press the 'trunk lid button' the trunk lid opens like it’s motor driven to a full open. I even considered providing these to the Kappa, Solstice, and SKY forum members. Unfortunately, my travels don't allow me the kind of time necessary to coordinate it all.

The SKY forum recently had a discussion about this same problem and where to order the kit from. Here's a link to the discussion:
Saturn SKY Forum - Perfect solution to opening trunklid automatically!

I hope you find this helpful.

bds
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 AM

I couldn't do the ghetto springs....My OCD wouldn't let me. I would have to paint them black for starters!!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:17 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I replaced mine. It's actually not that difficult just time consuming. The rear valence comes off, several push pins and a couple of small bolts. Then the bolts across the top under the trunk lid. The tails and one bolt on each side of the forward edge of the bumper where it mates with the quarter panel. And of course the rear inner fenders. The bumper cover then lifts off so you can access the electrical connecter. The left and right torsion bars are then accessible.

I had a spare set (2) so did a swap. I ended taking a two foot long by 1 inch piece of oak scrap and by drilling a hole in it to mate with the torsion bar end created a pry tool that made removing and installing the new bars easy. To increase the torque of the bars I moved the bar end retainers forward slightly. As in hammer time. Worked well

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, do you by any chance have any pictures of the procedure ?
How many hours do you think a GM shop would take to do this ?
Thanks again,
Jerry B
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, I have a few more questions for you
Do you have any pictures of the torsion bars while you had the valance off ?
How many hours do you think it would take a chevy dealer to do this ?
thanks again
Jerry B
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Garage
After reading this thread several times, I decided to go ahead and purchase the "opener" that was being discussed on the Sky Forum, for my Solstice. Looks like I may have to drill a couple of holes but that does not bother me. My lid opened only an inch or two at the most and then I added the factory luggage rack. Now I have to click the button a second time on the fob while grasping the hook of the luggage rack to open the trunk. Hope this will solve the problem. Will post installation pictures when it arrives...probably not for a month or so, I imagine.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldsbernard View Post
Thanks for your help, I have a few more questions for you
Do you have any pictures of the torsion bars while you had the valance off ?
How many hours do you think it would take a chevy dealer to do this ?
thanks again
Jerry B
It's not difficult if you are ok with mechanical work. Remove the rear valence, couple of screws and push pins. Use a panel tool they pop out easily

Remove the tail lights, two 7 mm bolts each side. You don't need to disconnect them, just move aside

Remove the fasteners on the rear side of the inner fenders.

Reach up inside behind the rear wheels to remove one bolt on each side that holds the ends of the rear bumper cover in place. Then remove the bolts behind the license plate in the canter. And finally the row of bolts across the top of the trunk

The bumper cover will lift off at each end then from the center

Unhook the electrical and set the bumper cover aside

You now have access to the torsion bars.

I fashioned a "tool" by drilling a hole in the end of a - by 1 inch piece of oak about two feet long. The end of the torsion rod fits into the hole then I could move it out of the retention clip easily. Did the reverse to install the new rods.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
After reading this thread several times, I decided to go ahead and purchase the "opener" that was being discussed on the Sky Forum, for my Solstice. Looks like I may have to drill a couple of holes but that does not bother me. My lid opened only an inch or two at the most and then I added the factory luggage rack. Now I have to click the button a second time on the fob while grasping the hook of the luggage rack to open the trunk. Hope this will solve the problem. Will post installation pictures when it arrives...probably not for a month or so, I imagine.
Riggs, are your torsion bars permanently removed due to swapping back and forth between the decklid and your hardtop?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 07-25-2015 at 08:42 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Garage
No...the hinge link is separated from the hinge spring (torque rods) with a long screwdriver. Then a hinge hold down bracket is installed to keep the torque rods at bay. Hardtop is mounted to this plate in the rear.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
How was the lift kit, riggs314? Did it work well?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I couldn't do the ghetto springs....My OCD wouldn't let me. I would have to paint them black for starters!!!
I used the springs, and I DID paint them black.

Bill
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Talley View Post
How was the lift kit, riggs314? Did it work well?
4 year old post, Kevin. I don't think Riggs has been active on the site for a while.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode