Cracked Front Wheel Wells - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Road Trip
Cracked Front Wheel Wells

So, has anyone had the front wheel wells crack? I did a search and did not find a thread. Lumix pointed out this problem to me and suggested I take it to the dealer. On both front wheel wells at the screws is a crack. Each crack is about 3/4 of an inch long. I took it in and after looking at it my dealership decides to replace them. Well, it turns out the new wheel wells are also cracked!

They attempted to re-order the wheel wells only to find out one of them is on national backorder. Oh well, not that big a deal but was wondering if anyone else has had these cracks?

Smile and wave Boys (and girls) Smile and wave!
Brazen 2008 GXP
Leather, 6CD Monsoon

Modifications
Type Z stubby antenna
Lil' Chromies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Got Turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
So, has anyone had the front wheel wells crack? I did a search and did not find a thread. Lumix pointed out this problem to me and suggested I take it to the dealer. On both front wheel wells at the screws is a crack. Each crack is about 3/4 of an inch long. I took it in and after looking at it my dealership decides to replace them. Well, it turns out the new wheel wells are also cracked!

They attempted to re-order the wheel wells only to find out one of them is on national backorder. Oh well, not that big a deal but was wondering if anyone else has had these cracks?
My right-side one cracked when the dealer incorrectly lifted it. Scheduled to replace both the 1/4 panel and the wheel welll plastic. When I took it in, the wheel well part Pontiac delivered was craked as well! Turns out they shipped it really shoddily (Is this a real word?) packed and they had to order another. That one was fine and is still on the car. You'd think Pontiac would know how to ship plastic so it wouldn't get broken

SkyGazer

NASSOA
Officially Recognized by GM
Founding Member
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Could you show us some pics of the cracks so we will know where to look.

Me
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 PM

I saw cracks in mine while I was shining it up today.
I also noticed that my left rear wheel well is gray not black.
Then I opened the hood and my hood liner is torn to shreds.
I usually wipe everything down under the hood at least every other washing.
The last time was just a couple weeks ago and it was fine then. I am suspecting that varments got to it somehow.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM

chefmartins is cracked too...at the front screw....noticed it when installing the nitrous...didn't slow him down tho....

Phoenix Sky & Solstice Club NASSM2013 Event
2006 Red Solstice - parked
2007 Blue Solstice - Debbie's replacement for totaled 06
2006 White Solstice - Son's DD...needs work
2009 Sky Redline LTD - long distance, top down
2009 Sly Coupe - Car Shows
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon73 View Post
Could you show us some pics of the cracks so we will know where to look.

Me

Here you go.

J/K
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressiva View Post
Here you go.

J/K

Too funny! I'll try and get some pics posted tomorrow. I agree! You would think that Pontiac would know how to ship plastic. <sigh> I started to trash GM's vendors but I will stop myself. I really do love this car; but, are we going to be dealing with things like this often? <must stop the > Repeat after me: I love my car, I love my car.....

Brazen 2008 GXP
Leather, 6CD Monsoon

Modifications
Type Z stubby antenna
Lil' Chromies

Last edited by Road Trip; 05-11-2007 at 07:29 AM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:18 AM

Both the front...and now the rear inner fenders, have been redesigned. Most of the front wells are going to crack, sooner or later. Poor design.
The rear wells have been redesigned to enlarge the area directly in front of the tire to prevent rubbing during cornering... or when the car squats.

On another sad note...when the dealer ordered my new front inner fenders, they came TOTALLY unpackaged. No protection what-so-ever. They work fine...but when you look under the hood, they're plenty scratched up and look worse than the original ones did. Thanks again GM. Another nice job.
It's very discouraging to have so many problems on a brand new car. You would think... in the 21st century... they should be able to do better than this. Yes, we still love our cars. Nothing wrong with that. But come on GM, even you can do better than this. Makes me wonder when you'll be out of the car business altogether. Were it not for the solstice, I would never have bought another GM car...and this is why. -Lumix
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to ripple
Count me in too, my dealer has order several sets and each one arrives more damaged then the ones on the car now, deep damage in each set shipped...image below

Picture of the cracks

I have been dealing with this for months and months now and others have too.

This is my signature - how do you like it?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumix View Post
Both the front...and now the rear inner fenders, have been redesigned. Most of the front wells are going to crack, sooner or later. Poor design.
The rear wells have been redesigned to enlarge the area directly in front of the tire to prevent rubbing during cornering... or when the car squats.

On another sad note...when the dealer ordered my new front inner fenders, they came TOTALLY unpackaged. No protection what-so-ever. They work fine...but when you look under the hood, they're plenty scratched up and look worse than the original ones did. Thanks again GM. Another nice job.
It's very discouraging to have so many problems on a brand new car. You would think... in the 21st century... they should be able to do better than this. Yes, we still love our cars. Nothing wrong with that. But come on GM, even you can do better than this. Makes me wonder when you'll be out of the car business altogether. Were it not for the solstice, I would never have bought another GM car...and this is why. -Lumix

I too would have never purchased a GM if it were not for the Solstice. This and all the other problems are part of the reason why American car companies are having problems. I agree Lumix it is very discouraging!

Having said that I'm not giving up on the Solstice! This car is just to much fun!

Thanks for the pics ripple!

Brazen 2008 GXP
Leather, 6CD Monsoon

Modifications
Type Z stubby antenna
Lil' Chromies
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Garage
My front driver fender liner is also cracked but closer to engine. It's cracked behind the wheel near the frame. I brought it into the dealer and they claim I ran over something and it caused the crack. They aren't willing to replace it either under warranty and will run me around $200 to replace. Is there a TSB about this issue?

VIN 103423, Sly/Ebony, AC, ABS, LSD, MP3, Monsoon, Power, Leather
Mods: RK Sport Body Kit, RK Sport Blister Ram Air Hood, Fujita CAI, Bi-Xenon HID 8000K Conversion, 19" Moda MD1 w/ Kumho Ecsta SPT, Stubby Antenna, Debadged, Autobot Emblems, Wind Screen
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CndnSol
My front driver fender liner is also cracked but closer to engine. It's cracked behind the wheel near the frame. I brought it into the dealer and they claim I ran over something and it caused the crack. They aren't willing to replace it either under warranty and will run me around $200 to replace.

Is there a TSB about this issue?
No. ......

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Having said that I had not considered GM before the solstice I would like to compliment Saturn. I think they are doing an outstanding Job of revamping their line. If I did not have a sol or sky I would consider the new cars and suv the have coming out. This still would not change my view of the quality of some parts and the state of the American car industry. I think GM is doing a good job of revamping their line up but they need to pay attention to the quality of the parts coming from their vendors. I just want to see the big three regain there former stature. Saturn and Pontiac or making great strides with the new cars they are coming out with.

Brazen 2008 GXP
Leather, 6CD Monsoon

Modifications
Type Z stubby antenna
Lil' Chromies
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to ripple
FYI - as a point of clarity I too would like to say while have found this whole wheel well thing to be quite frustrating it in no way takes away from the joy and excitement I get when I get behind the steering wheel. Having just driven home from work with sunny and 85 degrees I have left the frustrations of a tough week in the parking lot at work and am now ready for the weekend....

This is my signature - how do you like it?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CndnSol View Post
My front driver fender liner is also cracked but closer to engine. It's cracked behind the wheel near the frame. I brought it into the dealer and they claim I ran over something and it caused the crack. They aren't willing to replace it either under warranty and will run me around $200 to replace. Is there a TSB about this issue?

I got the same line of BS from the service department. "It was all my fault"...(which may be true because I was stupid enough to buy another GM car).
The solution...same as always...stick a bug in their ear. I had my fenders replaced early, before the problem was widely know. Talk about the run around...I got the standard GM denial speech.
Don't put up with it. Do whatever you have to do. They don't have a clue how you drive your car so don't stand for it.
It's just more GMBS... -Lumix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode