Curse you, Texas weather! - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
For the same money one can get a canopy carport and for double the money a metal carport.
If you can get a carport for 200 that fits in your car let me know where.

And the cover is for when we are on the road and run into a problem. I have a garage.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
Can't find a pair but if you go on Cleveland Craigslist Auto Parts (Pontiac Solstice )there is a guy who has a drivers side used but in nice condition 40 bucks .I was going to pick it up as a spare but you need it more than me . If he won't ship I'll see what I can do to help you out it's about a 1/2 hr . to 45 min. drive from the homestead .
Thanks, Sting. Appreciate it.

---
al_c
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 PM

Had it happen to me about 5 years ago - looked like someone took a ballpeen hammer to it, more than 100 dents. The only remaining blemish is on the windshield surround. Took advantage of the situation to have the car repainted white, and I love it.

...sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware...
1971 Javelin SST
2006 Solstice
2014 Silverado
2016 Silverado
post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, crap ... insurance calls it a total loss. Now I've got to decide what I want to do. Buy it back and part it out or fix it? Let them have it and try to find another one? Decisions, decisions ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolsticeTrunk04.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	671.8 KB
ID:	94621   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolsticeHood04.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	619.5 KB
ID:	94623   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolsticeLeftRearLight.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	834.3 KB
ID:	94625  

---
al_c

Last edited by al_c; 03-29-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Having been through this, in Texas, two years ago, I'd say:

Let them have it, buy another one. Good examples pop up surprisingly frequently. Rebuilding a hail car can be fun and educational, but it'll never be quite right unless you're willing to spend $$$$.

If it was a GXP, I'd say it would be worth parting out, or storing as a parts car if you have the space.

Take the check, throw in another couple of grand, and get a GXP or whatever your heart desires. Sucks, but... such is life.

I rebuilt my car, after this happened:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...il-damage.html

Now I'm trying to find someone to take it off of my hands at a steep discount. Bought a GXP last year, and it is a very different and far better car. It's not just the extra horsepower (which is substantial, but still not really 'Vette or SS levels).

Could've bought a Corvette but I didn't want to get on Rob's bad side.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 03-29-2019 at 04:01 PM.
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow! Where did that happen?

---
al_c
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Yes. One for each car and a spare
Hey Rob, do you feel the car cover would protect the car from the type of hail we get here in Colorado? I park outside currently so about twenty times this past year I had to move my car under my neighbors carport for like 20 minutes, Id love a car cover that would provide the same protection
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_c View Post
Well, crap ... insurance calls it a total loss. Now I've got to decide what I want to do. Buy it back and part it out or fix it? Let them have it and try to find another one? Decisions, decisions ...
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! If it were me before I did anything with the insurance company I would get an estimate maybe a couple from the paintless dent removal companies I've used these guys on the Solstice and Chevelle and was really impressed .The insurance company is going to give you blue book value unless you have an agreed price policy which we know is not worth what a car in good condition is especially if you like the car .Any other parts are out there it's just a matter of finding them and I'm sure if you put a list of wants on the forum you have a country full of enthusiasts here to help you . GOOD LUCK !
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Raygun and I have both had a NA and then a GXP. Get a GXP.
raygun likes this.
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_c View Post
Wow! Where did that happen?
Wylie, TX. June 11 2016.

Fast forward to about 5mins and then wait for it. This video shows some of the smaller hail. (One of my neighbors' house.)

Softball-sized hail. We had three cars totaled, including a fairly new, not-cheap 4Runner. Roof completely destroyed - we had hail on the kitchen floor that went through the roof, stuff in the attic, and the ceiling. Literally every window in the house busted out, fence destroyed, craters in the backyard, and I got a nice concussion. It took over a year before most of the houses in the neighborhood were repaired.

It was not fun.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 03-30-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The hail blanket is good protection for pea size or slightly larger it has a layer of rubber like energy absorbent material seen into it. For protection against baseball size hail I have blow up air mattresses that go under the cover

You need "collector car" agreed value insurance. I have it on my car at $70k and on the Dragon at $25k. They will pay for repairs up to that value and not total it

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
We need some sort of ablative armor system. Or, just ditch the steel body and go CF or fiberglass.

post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Wylie, TX. June 11 2016.
Ah, yes ... I remember that one. Brutal.
raygun likes this.

---
al_c
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got word back from my insurer ... If I keep the car, they pay out $5,266. If I let them keep it, they pay out $7,633.

I think I can get it repaired for a lot less than $5,266, but it will have a salvage title until I can get it repaired and then inspected by the DMV.

---
al_c
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Garage
Curse you, Texas weather!

There was a really nice GXP listed on the Facebook group the other day for $7200. Braces, tuned, something like 50k miles.

-

2007, 53k Miles, Manual!

Replaced HPFP (zzp higher flow pump) and waterpump since I purchased it in 2017. DDM tunnel brace, venom brace, short shifter and cai/charge tubes installed. Hawk pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Solo catless downpipe. Custom hptuner tune (91/e85) and Trifecta (91/e47/e85). Car has been great but I picked up a low mileage Z06 and need to get rid of this, only issue is the bypassed heater core (gave up on bleeding it, poor design) since then temps never get above 192 or so in Vegas summer's. Car is garage kept, price is firm. Happy to take anyone out for a ride, but test drivers must be serious. Feel free to ask any questions, I strive to be transparent! (Will add more pictures tomorrow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode