Differential Leak - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Differential Leak

I have a leak on the left side of the differential. Assuming it is a gasket.
Being new to working on the Solstice, I was wondering if this is something I could replace myself or if it is a major overhaul. Haven't gotten underneath to look at it real close. Wondering if others have had this problem and how they fixed it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 AM

There was a recall for the pinion seal. Check to see if it was done on your car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:42 AM

Leaking on one side would indicate the axle seal.
Just had mine changed while doing other work.
The left side ended up with a bad seal.
Since it was an AC Delco seal, the dealer changed it out as warranty work.
The no charge bill, was for $146 charged off to warranty.
So that should be what they would charge to change one.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:49 AM

Location: Phoenix Arizona where there are about 250 days a year for convertible Bebop-ing
You can do it yourself, but before you do that siphon out about half a cup of the 90 weight and top it off with that motor stop leak stuff and wait about a month. It has chemicals in it to "fluff up" the seals. It worked for me with a '64 Impala convertible. If not it's a messy job but you can do it. It's a 'gomer' repair and I have never tried it on a Pontiac Solstice! Be carefull and read up on how to properly Lift the vehicle !!! Good Luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
if you decide to change it or if the axle has been out there are some special seal protectors that should be used so the splines on the axle shafts do not cut the seal as they are sharp,some jagged and love eating soft stuff. ebay has them for around $10. eazy to use and a must to use. I wish I had a spare diff to swap into my car so I could rebuild/check out the one it has. dam these are kinda pricey...then theres the shipping.....hell a dead one would be good I could change the gears and what ever else it needs...

Last edited by marksbug; 05-25-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode