Engine vibration - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sting Ya

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Engine vibration

I have two 2.4L NA Solstices. Engine in the AZ car is smooth as silk at all rpms at 28,000 miles.
Engine in the OH car shakes the whole car at 2500 - 2600 rpm. Only 8000 miles.
Questions to the longer term owners - Is there an external component (AC, generator, etc.) that could be causing this? (I hope) or is it likely to be something internal? Can the balance shaft somehow get out of sync? Any ideas appreciated, although I will not be able to do anything about it until May.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
My guess is that a balance shaft has gone awry, there are two of them as well as the water pump on the same chain. Only 8000 miles on the engine? Did I read that correctly?

1st 1K - #741
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Founding Member

You may also want to look at the motor mounts and see if one or both of them have sprung a leak.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
You may also want to look at the motor mounts and see if one or both of them have sprung a leak.
That was my guess too, apparently they are gel filled.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...leaking-74928/

[/QUOTE]

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Our cars are getting old enough that dry rot is an issue. Just bought mrs stuck a 09 GXP & had to replace all 4 tires. Even though they had 10k on them, they were 8 years old.

It's sticky!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
My guess is that a balance shaft has gone awry, there are two of them as well as the water pump on the same chain. Only 8000 miles on the engine? Did I read that correctly?

Yes, my summer coupe was purchased July 2017 with under 5000 miles. I put on 3000+ before I garaged it for winter.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
This fits with the Magnaflow having to be tweaked to eliminate vibrating against the backbone.

SteveBot39

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 AM

One thing I do every spring before I break out the car for summer driving is to spray everything underneath with WD 40 and then wipe down any excess . This keeps all my metal parts from developing any type of corrosion ,lubricates so I don't have any annoying squeaks and keeps my rubber components from developing dry rot I've been doing this religiously since I purchased the car and other than the axle shafts , which I'm going to paint this spring my car looks as nice as the day it left the factory .
rob the elder and SolCoupe171 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode