Finally Fixed My Cup Holder - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoons65 View Post
Good morning Riven02! How much would you charge an individual for a copy of that armature on the drink holder? Mine fell apart about a year ago and certainly don't want to pay the exorbitant price of new replacement! Thanks!
For those in the lower 48 I'll get them to you for $12 shipped. If it needs to go to Canada I might need to charge another buck or 2 for shipping.

I have the first set printing right now for CycleCat. I am at work but they appear to be done looking at the web cam.

I am off tomorrow thru Sunday, so I can print as many as you guys want. Please send me a PM. My wife is going to manage the Paypal and shipping for me, and she is watching the inbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
PET is way stronger than ABS - but the addition of the glycol takes care of that.
^ CONFUSED ^ - do you mean the glycol reduces the strength, or increases it?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #48 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Crap! That is one expensive printer!
I got it "cheap". They sell refurbished printers for less than half price. I bought a DX2 for $2100 which failed. I had some issues with tech support and the VP of sales replaced it as a courtesy. With a new Axiom. Very nice customer support.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #49 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

The first batch will go out tomorrow morning.

A couple things to note.

You might notice the pegs are shiny silver. This is because i am test fitting all of these and i use graphite lube in the slots on my cup holder. It makes them run really smoothly.

Another thing is when you assemble yours go easy on thr middle screw. If I tighten it too tight on mine the plates bow in and make it not slide real well and kinda bind up. On an early test model i shortened the pegs so that this wouldn't happen, but then they were loose near the front. So i decided it was best to just not torque it down real tight. The outside screws can be fully tightened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_202034_1503624130474.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	72785  
GODROD and CycleCat like this.
post #50 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Finally Fixed My Cup Holder

Gents, to help drive interest in the forum and the fact that you are providing an invaluable service to the Solstice community I mentioned this as a cross post to a couple of Facebook Solstice and Sky sites so you might see an uptick in interest. Thanks for all you all do. It is appreciated. (Group Hug)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lorennerol likes this.

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP
post #51 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
^ CONFUSED ^ - do you mean the glycol reduces the strength, or increases it?
Reduces the tensile strength, but reduces the flex modulus and increases the impact strength.

PET Tensile strength is around 11,500, PETG is around 7,700

Izod Impact for PET is 0.7, for PETG is 1.7. For comparison, ABS has a notched Izod of 7.7 lbs.

So ultimately, it's "strength" is reduced with the glycol, but it's "toughness" is about 2.5 times the PET. So if you were to put a shot put in the PETG cupholder it would likely break but in the PET cupholder it wouldn't. Slapping the cupholder in and out, the PETG cupholder would roll with the punches so to speak where as the PET would be more susceptible to breakage due to repeated impact.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #52 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the info!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #53 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Reduces the tensile strength, but reduces the flex modulus and increases the impact strength.

PET Tensile strength is around 11,500, PETG is around 7,700

Izod Impact for PET is 0.7, for PETG is 1.7. For comparison, ABS has a notched Izod of 7.7 lbs.

So ultimately, it's "strength" is reduced with the glycol, but it's "toughness" is about 2.5 times the PET. So if you were to put a shot put in the PETG cupholder it would likely break but in the PET cupholder it wouldn't. Slapping the cupholder in and out, the PETG cupholder would roll with the punches so to speak where as the PET would be more susceptible to breakage due to repeated impact.
Excellent explanation. The other factor to consider is how the materials age. It's been 25 years since I sat in my MatSci class at WMU, and it was focused on metals and ceramics, so plasticizer loss wasn't something we spent much time on, but what I want for the cup holder part (and the Fiero console skeleton) is something that will flex slightly and repeatedly for a long time without developing stress cracks, and without being saggy.
post #54 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 AM

And then there is that environmental stress cracking brought on by chemical exposure and UV aging, but hell, if you can just print a replacement cupholder arm you just put a couple in your glovebox and and you're good to go!

post #55 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I am now caught up. Everyone who has sent payment will have their package sent tomorrow. (Excluding the ones that went out today who I already messaged)
post #56 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:27 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I figured out how to print four at once. ��

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #57 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i do that when i sleep.
I suggest using the "Print one at a Time" option in Cura when printing multiples. If you dont it prints each layer of each part and bounces back and forth. When going for strength i dont like how much the previous layer cools before the machine makes it back to the original part.
TomatoSoup likes this.
post #58 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to give you guys a durability update.

I have been using mine every day and trying to use it instead of the waterfall ones.

I have been using it a lot with the cell phone holder pictured and with a coffee tumbler.

It hasn't shown any signs of breaking. However, it has deformed slightly. Notice in the image the piece is no longer a perfect circle. It still works but it isn't as smooth as it was originally. Now I really need to use the "pinch technique" after placing something large in it.

I put another one in to try and see how I made it deform. It seems that if I place something large in the cup holder it forces some deformation in the piece due to weight and/or over opening the mechanism. Then, unless the cup holder is closed, it stays in a bind in the deformed form even when the weight is removed. Since I haven't closed my cup holder in a couple weeks the shape seems to have stuck.

I took a heat gun to mine and fixed it, but wanted to let you guys know that heavy things like a 30oz tumbler, or things that lean back and put weight only on the new piece like my super top heavy cell phone holder, seem to cause it to bow. That alone doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you don't leave it that way for an extended period of time, but it eventually did cause mine to drag when shutting the holder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	72977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	72985  
post #59 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 AM

Not completely familiar but it may be the glycol lends the PETG to higher creep than you'd experience with the ABS. Both are susceptible to stress creep but I suspect the PETG would be worse.

Same concept as a cheap plastic hangar. You put the coat on it and hang it up and everything is fine. Two months later you open the close and find the coat on the floor, hangar all bowed out of shape.

post #60 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven02 View Post
Yeah i do that when i sleep.
I suggest using the "Print one at a Time" option in Cura when printing multiples. If you dont it prints each layer of each part and bounces back and forth. When going for strength i dont like how much the previous layer cools before the machine makes it back to the original part.
Riven, I am interested in a few of these. Maybe 6 actually.
Can you e-mail me a price to ship them to BC Canada please?
V1B 3H4

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode