First Time Owner - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By Greatgab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

First Time Owner

Hello All!
Just did an even trade of my custom painted ‘53 Ford for an ‘08 GXP with 57,000 miles. I live in Southwest Virginia where there are very scenic roadways. The vehicle seems to run well and really holds the road. I took it for state inspection yesterday and the tech said it is like new underneath. Good to know. Any advice?
I just ordered an interior drivers side door handle as mine is peeling and is a bit sharp. Is this a job I can do myself or should I find a tech?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice you have for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75DB3314-FB58-4FF5-B595-3D6EBBEE28E2_1565445300496.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	98781  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:13 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here, and feel free to ask away.

1st 1K - #741
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Congrats, check into what's know as a chassis brace package. There's a couple different vendors that offer their own versions. You didn't mention if auto or manual, but if manual a DDM short shifter, and you might want to check into tunes. GM does offer one if you want to stay all OEM, or you can go w/an aftermarket can tune that are cheaper and offer greater performance that the GM one.

This is a recent thread regarding tunes, worth a read if you want more performance: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...eneral-159387/

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-10-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary G View Post
Hello All!
Just did an even trade of my custom painted ‘53 Ford for an ‘08 GXP with 57,000 miles. I live in Southwest Virginia where there are very scenic roadways. The vehicle seems to run well and really holds the road. I took it for state inspection yesterday and the tech said it is like new underneath. Good to know. Any advice?
I just ordered an interior drivers side door handle as mine is peeling and is a bit sharp. Is this a job I can do myself or should I find a tech?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice you have for me.
Welcome to the forum and the family.

If you are moderately competent working on things you should be able to do it yourself, as many people have. You can find a how-to here on the forum or on YouTube.

Here is a very lengthy, but very informative post with a lot of new-owner information: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...8/#post1322250

Something I do not think is in that post is information about the Passenger Seat Sensor for the airbag. There is a recall for chronic failure of the sensor, but you should already know that. The single most important thing to know is to never kneel or put concentrated force anywhere in the seating area, as it is the most common cause of premature failure.

There are also several mentions of warranty repairs that, due to the age of the cars, are no longer going to be covered.

While there are a lot of things you can do to your car, and one or two that I consider essential, you really should simply drive it for a while to try to learn what you like and don't like about it. It is pointless for you to spend time and money on what I consider essential if you don't.

Good luck, have fun, be safe, and don't be afraid to ask questions. You will, however, be advised to "Do a search" if it appears that you are just asking out of the blue.
The forum search is under TOOLS in the toolbar, and is called Advanced Search. There is also, of course, Google.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 08-10-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Welcome Hilary to the forum & congrats on your new ride & JohnWR gave you great advice in the above thread.

Last edited by easyryderca; 08-10-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:49 AM

check out the Virginia sky/solstice group on Facebook. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/vmssc )
They are doing a Skyline drive run on Oct 12, 2019
Always a good time with great people!

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 PM

Congratulations on the new car. You'll love it. I'm on my second; never should have gotten rid of my first one.

My first one had the GMPP tune, installed by GM (as is necessary for the code reflash). I can state that the gains were real; I could break the rear tires free in turns, and the car would get rubber in gears 1-4 when new to begin with...if you flogged it. I only did that trick twice. The nice thing about the GMPP tune at the time (2011 when I had it done) was that it carried the warranty.

Today, the GMPP tune still does interest me, as while it costs a bit, I had quite a trouble-free experience and my indicated MPG actually increased on the highway.

The link John provides ha this info, but in the interests of reinforcing the info, do not ever tow the car. Flatbed only. In addition, many Sols have "fender frown" on the inside bottom of the front fenders, from damage due to, frankly, ignorant techs lifting the car incorrectly. It's pretty standard. GM did it to my '07 Sol GXP in 2008. My current one has extremely minor damage there and it can't be seen; I've seen some mashed flat underneath. These cars need to be lifted similar to Corvettes, with 'pucks' that place the lift in the correct location. John's link covers that too, but it is worth mentioning twice.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:35 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum... check the dates on the tires - one of the best upgrades for my GXP was getting rid of the TEN year old Goodyears and putting on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports!
Rphillips66 likes this.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode