Forced to Mobil 1? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Forced to Mobil 1?

I've been curious if anyone uses a different full synthetic motor oil for their Sol. I think the mandatory requirement is Mobil 1 full synthetic per the owners manual and the oil cap. My latest brief research into cheaper alternatives turns up Wally World and Amazon Basics with the same or near same API ratings API SN Plus (which is the highest rating). It kinda scares me to think of these as cheaper but what seems same alternative. I'm sure I'm going to get schooled here, but it would be interesting to hear thoughts of the group. Truth be told, I'll probably stick with Mobil ! just because of heard mentality...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 PM

Garage
Amsoil full synthetic for me

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 AM

even the GM dealers do not use Mobil 1 any more.
The dealers now use some no-name brand, a Mobile 1 knock-off...

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:23 AM

me... I still use Mobil 1. I buy it at Walmart when it is on sale for $23
WickedMike and Sting Ya like this.

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:54 AM

The actual spec is in the owners manual. If you do your research on it it'll basically lead you to a list of every modern synthetic oil, synthetic always being recommended for any turbo engine (and just about every other engine as well.)

It was a bigger deal back in the day because there were only a few oils that met the spec but since nearly every new car comes with a direct-injected turbo engine now, the oil is much easier to find.

Like I've said a dozen times before, unless you've significantly modified your engine, it's still just a Gen 2 Ecotech. They spit out over 10 million of them, continue to do so, and are generally considered pretty robust. You don't need to pay for some exotic oil, filter, or service. If you want to, then by all means feel free. But it's not required.
Sting Ya and joybill44 like this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 AM

P.S. In case anyone didn't know, pretty much anything that isn't a brand name - and even some of those - comes out of the same Warren Distribution factories. If you look close enough at the container, you'll find it printed on the label somewhere.
Sting Ya likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Oil is the lifeblood of any engine that's why I use a name brand in all my vehicles and do regular changes every 3 thousand miles .. After a lot of research and talking to a rep from Driven products I have used their LS series oil in my car ,it is specifically blended for turbo and supercharged engines I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for .
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
even the GM dealers do not use Mobil 1 any more.
The dealers now use some no-name brand, a Mobile 1 knock-off...
"Dexos" from GM dealers is an oil specification. Most synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils are Dexos certified.

If you are curious or concerned, Google "dexos oil" and do a little reading.

GM requires Dexos certified oils in order to maintain your warranty on all 2011 and newer GM vehicles.

YMMV

1st 1K - #741
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
P.S. In case anyone didn't know, pretty much anything that isn't a brand name - and even some of those - comes out of the same Warren Distribution factories. If you look close enough at the container, you'll find it printed on the label somewhere.
Because it comes out of the same distribution factory does not mean it is the same product. The additive package can and will vary considerably. People should be Careful to making leading statements.
JohnWR and TomatoSoup like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 AM

You may find Mobil 1 to actually be your cheapest option. Every spring and fall they offer rebates. Usually $17 off a Mobil 1 filter and 5qt purchase. Combine that with the recent combo price at advance auto parts. I got 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 EP and a Mobil 1 filter for $19 net. Rebate is submitted electronically and takes me about 4 weeks to get.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:59 AM

MOBIL1 here in Detroit is cheaper then dino oil. It's $11 for 6 qts at WallyWorld....all the time.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:18 AM

I use Castrol Syntec which is Dexos compliant. I change the oil and filter annually or when the oil life indicator is at 10%, which happens between 6k and 10k miles. My current "fleet" has 300k cumulative miles with no engine problems. Occasionally I will send a sample out to Blackstone for analysis and there has never been an indication that the oil was overdue for changing.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
i wont use mobile oil.....but no you dont have to use it, use any name brand that fits the specs&weights. I usualy alternate my brands, castrol,quackerstate,penisoil valvolina etc,and many times I mix them to get the different additives used by some and not by another. I dont use the walmart brand,Ive seen tomuch carnage from walmart branded oils...( back in the 90's Im sure it's good oil nowdays, same company makes amazons oil and many other off brand oils) there is 1 drawback to syn oil that I do not like...it's not stickey and drains back faster than dino oil. I use quacker state blend dffy/high millage in the wifes honda and alternitivy in my air cooled bug with straight 5-20 syn. that quacker state has more zinc in it than most oils do and my bug needs it for the high spring pressures& mushroom cam it has in it. never add zinc to a oil unless it's just for the first break in period of 1 hour or less. zinc is a converter killer and causes ash deposits in the chambers with results in detonation/hot spots.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGXP View Post
I've been curious if anyone uses a different full synthetic motor oil for their Sol. I think the mandatory requirement is Mobil 1 .
Cant be mandatory only a suggestion. Parts of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if its mandatory for warranty they have to give it to you for free. Full synthetic would give better protection from coking your oil with a turbo. My F150 suggested oil is a synthetic blend not even full and has 2 turbos so go figure. I use Mobil in the Sol and their filter. With only 1 oil change a year for me not that big of a deal cost wise even if it were at full list
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:39 PM

whatever you do, don't go from synthetic to dino back to synthetic, as a rule of thumb. Dino oil can swell seals. Not sure if this was a consideration or design issue when the cars were made, but in general, don't go dino to synthetic.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode