Frugal Friday, Solstice/Sky Edition - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Frugal Friday, Solstice/Sky Edition

https://disaffectedmusings.com

Imagine a pic of a Wicked colored coupe here
A recent photo by yours truly of a Pontiac Solstice Coupe. I don’t think I had ever seen one in person until this. While a Solstice has been featured in a previous Frugal Friday, and I have written about it and its close cousin—the Saturn Sky, I have not featured both of them in a Frugal Friday post.

Obviously I am a big fan of these cars. While they shared the same platform they did not share any sheet metal. I like the looks of the Sky more than the Solstice, but I think both cars are quite handsome.

My wonderful wife and I have both test driven a Sky, although not in Red Line spec. The Sky Red Line and Solstice GXP had a 2-liter/122 cubic-inch, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produced 260 HP/260 LB-FT of torque, which still might be the highest specific output of any GM engine ever. An available dealer installed option was a modified computer tune and two new sensors that resulted in an increased output to 290 HP/340 LB-FT.

Today’s Frugal Friday, therefore, is the “best” deals on a GXP and Red Line. Much subjectivity is involved as it’s not necessarily the least expensive car offered for sale in the US, but a combination of price and perceived quality. The Solstice first:

Imagine a pic of a mean Sol vert here
Picture via Autotrader; it is a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Yellow over Black with a manual transmission and just 37,000 miles. I limited my search to cars with fewer than 60,000 miles. The seller is asking $14,490.

Imagine a pic of a black Sky here
Also from Autotrader and, obviously, offered by Lucky Line Motors (in Fredericksburg, VA) is a 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line in Black over Red. This Red Line has 51,000 miles and has an automatic transmission. The dealer is asking just $10,990.

It’s hard for me to imagine two more interesting cars that are so affordable. For the nth time the average “transaction price” of a new vehicle in the US is approaching $40,000. The list price of both of these cars combined is only about $25,000. A shout-out to David Banner who suggested a feature like this.

Since it is likely I will begin revealing my Ultimate Garage 2.0 tomorrow and since that reveal, along with the cars that just missed the cut, will take about two weeks, Throwback Thursday and Frugal Friday will not appear until after Ultimate Garage 2.0 is finished.

The straw that breaks the camel’s back doesn’t even have to be as heavy as the other straws…

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 PM

One sensor, not two.

Agree that they are currently a great value for the performance and styling.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
One sensor, not two.

Agree that they are currently a great value for the performance and styling.
Mine came with two sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160427_195935307.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	96365  

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:04 AM

Without doubt, two sensors on the GMPP tune kit for my first Sol GXP that I purchased through Crate Engine Depot, in 2010.

When I let that car go, I supplied the two original sensors.

It would be nice to see a renewed interest in Kappas, to encourage the aftermarket to make some parts. Around here, where I was living when I had my first one up to 2012, people ask me what my car is. Pity they can't seem to read, eh?

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 05-25-2019 at 05:07 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Without doubt, two sensors on the GMPP tune kit for my first Sol GXP that I purchased through Crate Engine Depot, in 2010.

It would be nice to see a renewed interest in Kappas, to encourage the aftermarket to make some parts.
I stand corrected. Mine was installed in 2009- some water under the bridge since then.

And yes, as a Fiero owner I agree that extreme affordability does not help with aftermarket parts availability. My buddy can get *everything* for his 1969 912, including the dash, which was unique to that year and model. Meanwhile, there is a dearth of parts (not none, but some major gaps) for Fiero restoration. Used GT tail lights in 9.5/10 condition cost more than many complete cars.

The short production run will hurt the Kappas from a collectibility standpoint, I think: Nostalgia plays a big role in classic car values and it wasn't around long enough for it to be the "car of my teenage dreams" for a lot of people.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
Yeah - imagine of the Miata had been made for only four years, 1989-1992 - wonder how much stuff would still be available for them?

The Fiero situation isn't that bad but something like the mentioned GT taillights are hard to find in good condition - they had a tendency to come unglued with the outer housing separating from the rear housing.

Wonder how hard it will be to find good Kappa headlights in 2040.....(they'll be the same age then as the last Fiero is now).

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:01 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Yeah - imagine of the Miata had been made for only four years, 1989-1992 - wonder how much stuff would still be available for them?
There would still be 4 times as many Miatas as there were Solstices. Thus, more stuff would still be available. It has to do with the size of the market.

1st 1K - #741
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
It has to do with the size of the market.
And what the market is willing to pay for parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode