GM's Forgotten Miata Competitors Are Now A Used Bargain - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM

So I remember reading a few articles about the Sky when it first came out and the fact or so the writers believed that GM was marketing this car to the female consumer ( did I get that right Mom ? ). I've always been a big fan of C3 Corvettes had 3 of them and the styling of the Solstice with all the curves reminded me of them . The Solstice to me is more raw while the Sky is more refined especially the interior , all the chrome trim and overall shape of the car . I always question these article because most of the writers don't own the car or have limited use of one when writing about them and as we all know opinions are like ---holes everyone has one .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMarion View Post
I don't understand the comparison to a Miata...if Lutz wanted a Miata like car he would have ordered up a "Miata like car". That isn't how the Solstice started and from my understanding wasn't the purpose. This car caught the attention of many car enthusiasts when it was first shown to the public and went into production...that's what Lutz wanted...a bright light to attract attention to Pontiac. Yes it's bigger than a Miata, has more weight, more interior room, a killer design, bigger wheels and tires, a larger engine and a turbo, is great to drive, etc... Why would anyone think this car should be compared to a Miata or a BMW$$$$$ or a Porsche$$$$$$. If you like it, great...if you don't, move along. Don't listen to the anti-GM press that make the comparison. As for the quality of GM products, IMHO I think Lutz made big improvements. My last GM car was an '86 Oldsmobile and I swore I would never own another GM car, until I bought a new 2012 Buick. However, I appreciate all of the comments from an obviously bias group that truly appreciates the Kappas.
I think it's more of the press realizing that the Miata kind of cornered the 2 seater market for an affordable sports car. Another one enters the market they're naturally going to compare them even if the newcomer wasn't intended to be a "Miata fighter".

And yeah, to each his own. (Or HER own.) I mentioned lift kits and decals without backing it up with people that put them on 4x4 pick ups that never go off road - even to wash them in the front yard! If that's what you like, go for it. I like chrome wheels. You want to black yours out? Go for it!

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
As far as the "hassle" of the top goes, for Gods sake, let it go
Having owned brit sports cars in the past, I never found the top to be a hassle, compared to a Sunbeam Alpine
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:41 PM

Before buying my '08 Solstice I did a lot of research and heard about the "hassle" with operating the top. I'm used to having to hassle with the top on my '69 Firebird, and it is a power top. There is no way to just push the button and have the top down successfully. There are pinch points to watch out for and if you don't get the top material out of the way the top will get creased and not stack up properly. When that happens the boot will not fit right. That is another thing, the boot. I sure don't miss that on the Solstice.
So' all in all, I don't see any hassle at all.
skersfan likes this.

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Having owned brit sports cars in the past, I never found the top to be a hassle, compared to a Sunbeam Alpine
I'll see your Sunbeam and raise you a Mark 1 Sprite. Takes two engineers about the duration of the rain shower to get the top on just in time for the sun to come back out.
Sting Ya, chickenwire and CycleCat like this.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM

You Americans just don't understand. There is never a need to put the top down in English weather. Doh!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
I am currently located in Lancashire and is amazing how many convertibles they have overhere (mostly MX5 , BMW and Mercedes). Last week I have seen at least 2 dozen of which half with top down !
So you're a Red rose-er! Here I took a picture for you...

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Both my MGC and all of my TR-3s had tops that stowed in the boot, in the former case, along with the top bows that had to be erected like a meccano set. If it started to rain and you could find a bridge to park under to erect the top, great; if not, might as well keep on going as you'll be equally wet either way.

The stow away tops gave a cleaner look, mind you.

And the Sol Converts are nothing - like to see a video of a timed installation of a coupe soft top in a rainstorm - any volunteers?

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
I've had two Miatas: an '04 that was pretty slick, and a '99 that I picked up in New Jersey and drove back to Dallas.

Fun fact: Jersey is right next to New York City. Manhattan was visible from the used car dealership. Driving through Times Square, on a Saturday night at 7pm, in the snow, in a Miata, is about as fun as one would expect. But, hey - it was right there. What would you have done?

Moving on.

I bought the '99 with 60k miles, and put another 40k on it over the next year. I then bought a Boxster S. The Miata spent awhile sitting in the garage. Like, four years. I'd drive it occasionally just to remind myself why I was paying so much for a Porsche.

A few years later - say, five years after buying the car - it had about 140k on the odometer. I'd never had to touch anything other than brakes, tires and oil. The AC was flakey, but considering the age of the car and the mileage at that point, I couldn't really complain. I installed a Hard Dog rollbar - nice thing about Miatas is the aftermarket support - drove it at track events for another year when I didn't feel like buying slicks for the Boxster.

Then, one day, a friend slammed it into a concrete pillar in an underground parking garage.

I paid $6500 for the car when it was about 4 years old.
I put well over 100k miles on the car, and probably spent $1k-$2k in maintenance and repairs during that time.

The insurance company gave me $8k.

Overall, I'd call that a win.

It's a really, really fun car. Certainly not as distinctive as the Solstice, but don't knock it. There's a reason they're popular track cars - handles like a go-cart, loves to oversteer (but very predictably), and they're CHEAP.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one for a weekend track car.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 04-26-2018 at 03:53 PM.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
I've had two Miatas: ...

[snipped for content]

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one for a weekend track car.
I have a friend here in Abiquiu with one for sale (teal and tan top). Well-cared-for, rust free NM car. I'm not sure what they are asking but it didn't sell before and now it's just sitting.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
I have a friend here in Abiquiu with one for sale (teal and tan top). Well-cared-for, rust free NM car. I'm not sure what they are asking but it didn't sell before and now it's just sitting.

I should have said, "I wouldn't hesitate...IF I didn't already have an awesome weekend track car." I already have two persnickety sports cars. But, I do sometimes miss the Miata.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Here's another, generally positive, article on the 'old' Sol: Turn back the clock: Pontiac Solstice coupe

(callin' @wspohn )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode