GMPP Tune + Trifecta Tune? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

GMPP Tune + Trifecta Tune?

Quick question, I seem to remember it being possible that if you already have the 2.0 GMPP tune, that a Trifecta tune can be added to it?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Not so much as added... a new tune will overwrite an existing tune when the car's computer is re-flashed. Trifecta has a base tune, similar to the GMPP tune and they have custom tunes, which are tweaked based on what mods have been added to the car. Trifecta tunes (both base and custom) are 'canned' tunes which have fixed parameters based on past tunes for stock cars or modified cars with basic mods.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM

The GMPP tune indicates that 3 bar MAP sensors are installed. I understand that the Trifecta tune does not require them, and will work with the stock 2 bar sensors. Is that the case, and if so, do they have a calibration for each sensor type?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Garage
I have 3 bar MAP sensors on my Sol - but I'm running their custom select-a-tune ($400) because of mods to my intake and exhaust. On their website - the base tune ($200) does ask for sensor type on the order page.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM

My understanding was that Trifecta do (did?) have a tune compatible with the GMPP 3bar sensors.

Best thing is just to contact them directly and verify.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
....Best thing is just to contact them directly and verify.
Oh, sure, act like the responsible grown-up, why don't you.

John
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:11 PM

I think there have been people on the forum replace the stock tune with the GMPP tune and then put a trifecta tune on the cruise control switch. All the three bar sensor does is increase the operational range of the sensor so I don't really think the tune matters. Once you reach a certain boost level the three bar sensor will give you a more precise and reliable reading, but I don't remember exactly what that boost level is. Somewhere in the low to mid 20's I believe. The general consensus was that the factory wanted a little margin of error and required the three bar where most tuners are okay with running at the upper fringe of the stock sensor.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Just remember... the 3 bar MAP sensors need to be tuned in. If you swap out the stock sensors without a tune, the 3 bar sensors will drive the non-tuned computer crazy.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgab View Post
Just remember... the 3 bar MAP sensors need to be tuned in. If you swap out the stock sensors without a tune, the 3 bar sensors will drive the non-tuned computer crazy.
That I do believe you are correct about. I think the GM 2 and 3 bar sensors both operate in the 0 - 5 volt range so if you don't adjust the tune for the new sensor you would have incorrect readings.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:12 PM

It is also possible that the Trifecta tune uses the MAP calibration data already in the ECM, and will therefore work properly with whichever sensor was working before.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 PM

Before I purchased the base Trifecta tune i asked them if it would be advantageous to install the 3 bar sensors with it and they said it made no difference. With the gmpp the 3 bar were required by the EPA to provide adequate sensor headroom for emissions system diagnosis. The whole thing had to EPA compliant. Thats how it was explained to me.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
The Trifecta tune does not overwrite anything - it leaves whatever the existing tune is, alone. It apparently resides in a different area of the ECM and if you ask for it, they will program to include the 3 Bar sensors. I have run my car with stock, GMPP, basic Trifecta and lastly, custom Trifecta to suit a modified turbo.

My underlying tune is the GMPP, though I never switch off the trifecta as the GMPP would give too much knock retard as it isn't intended to work with anything but the stock turbo.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
The Trifecta tune does not overwrite anything - it leaves whatever the existing tune is, alone. It apparently resides in a different area of the ECM and if you ask for it, they will program to include the 3 Bar sensors. I have run my car with stock, GMPP, basic Trifecta and lastly, custom Trifecta to suit a modified turbo.

My underlying tune is the GMPP, though I never switch off the trifecta as the GMPP would give too much knock retard as it isn't intended to work with anything but the stock turbo.
OK, that's what I was thinking of. The GMPP tune would work under normal driving conditions, then use the cruise control switch to turn on the Trifecta tune for extra performance.

I have no plans to add the Trifecta tune to my GMPP, I just wanted to make sure I could if I changed my mind. Thanks everyone.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
There is really no downside to just leaving the Trifecta tune on all the time. The only reason I didn't is that I wanted to be able to take the car to the dealer while under warranty, without them knowing that there was a non-factory tune on it. Once that period is over, there is no reason to ever switch back as the Trifecta tune is a 'safe' tune. Both it and the GMPP have the same octane requirements.
ChopTop likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
The Trifecta tune does not overwrite anything - it leaves whatever the existing tune is, alone. It apparently resides in a different area of the ECM and if you ask fortheir custom tune. it, they will program to include the 3 Bar sensors. I have run my car with stock, GMPP, basic Trifecta and lastly, custom Trifecta to suit a modified turbo.

I asked Trifecta about leaving the existing stock tune alone, and they clarified to me their switching option does not switch from the stock tune to the custom tune. It switches from their "stock power profile" tune to their "tuned power profile" tune. Here is a quote of their description of the cruise control switch function: "The CC function is just switching between power profiles within our custom calibration environment. It is not switching between the actual factory programming and the custom programming."

2007 GXP Pure
Probeam/Backbone/Trifecta Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode