Got My New Smoothline Top! A Review - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Got My New Smoothline Top! A Review

After 5 long months of anticipation, my new Smoothline hardtop arrived this week. I was looking for a top which had a bit more room in it behind the seats so that one could fit a rollbar with rearward bracing under it. I think this will fit the bill.

The top itself is very nicely put together and looks nice. I asked them to build it lighter than usual and it is maybe 15 pounds. The only downside is that the fitment is quite gappy - in the rain, water WILL come into the cabin. Since this is a track car, I'm not too worried about it, but I would be aware of this if you are looking to have a hardtop permanently replace your soft top. You could be in the odd position of having to remove the hardtop to drive in the rain!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_145640.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	87193  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:01 PM

Garage
Looks great! Thanks for sharing~
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:10 PM

Looks great. Is that the Haartz Vinyl one? I had one that I loved on the roadster. When I added the Coupe to the family I decided to sell it to a Forum member. I am surprised to hear about the leaks. I had no issue with mine. The only thing I was careful about was when I washed the Sol I would not spray directly on the back window so water would not pool on the trunk lid. I drove through some major rain storms and had no leaks. When my top was ready I drove down to the factory to pick it up ( Haartz Vinyl so she was ready to go). They did the weather strip fitting and adjustments there on my Sol so maybe that is why she fit so well. Anyway, enjoy and looks great.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:23 PM

"I" would be unhappy with any leaks on a new top....

Bill
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:33 PM

These are NEW tops? Thought that they had stopped making these years ago.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:54 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
These are NEW tops? Thought that they had stopped making these years ago.
AFAIK they are still making them, when they have an order, and paid up front before shipping. I don't think they have ever had them "in stock". Each one is custom made.

But what do I know. Does anyone have different opinion/facts?

rob the elder likes this.

1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 05-14-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
AFAIK they are still making them, when they have an order, and paid up front before shipping. I don't think the have ever had then "in stock". Each one is custom made.

But what do I know. Does anyone have different opinion/facts?

You are correct. Usually takes 6 months to get one.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Did you put the seals on?

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Did you put the seals on?
I sure did! The only issue was that I got two driver's side seals, not one driver and one passenger, so the front of the passenger seal has a big ol' gap. I just stuck 'em on, because as I said I don't care one bit about having a sealed cabin. The track is windows-open after all!

I am guessing if I had the car at the factory they could get it to fit perfectly.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Well that makes sense. When you said it was leaking that caused alarm bells to go off because others have had no issues or only small issues with leaking that they got fixed. Yours sounded unusual and evidently it is. Cheers

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM

Mine leaks, but I don't drive the car in the winter or when it rains. I also have wind noise around the windows which could be alleviated if I adjusted the side windows to fit the hardtop better, but then you'd have to readjust them when going back to the convertible top. No thanks. When washing I'll spray the top, but avoid the windows and seals, including the rear hump area but water still manages to gets under the rear seal.

I think the top itself is made well, so it may be more about taking the time to adjust it correctly. Though the front and rear turnbolts are twisted about as tight as I can turn them. I also condition the seals when the top is removed which I do about one a year to check on the trunk area. Otherwise the top is on all the time because I like the look of it, and fell in love with the 2006 SEMA Weekend Racer concept.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Mine leaks, but I don't drive the car in the winter or when it rains. I also have wind noise around the windows which could be alleviated if I adjusted the side windows to fit the hardtop better, but then you'd have to readjust them when going back to the convertible top. No thanks. When washing I'll spray the top, but avoid the windows and seals, including the rear hump area but water still manages to gets under the rear seal.

I think the top itself is made well, so it may be more about taking the time to adjust it correctly. Though the front and rear turnbolts are twisted about as tight as I can turn them. I also condition the seals when the top is removed which I do about one a year to check on the trunk area. Otherwise the top is on all the time because I like the look of it, and fell in love with the 2006 SEMA Weekend Racer concept.
I just got back from the rollcage fabricators, and the hardtop is going to fit perfectly, and permanently, because they are going to weld it to the A pillar and bolt the rear to the rollbar!
lexpioneer likes this.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
@ChopTop

Did you mean to post those (I assume) low-mileage Sols in this Smoothline top thread?

1st 1K - #741
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Chiffonte...

For that five month wait did Jack (the supposed owner of Smoothline) keep telling you three more weeks three more weeks? What did you have to wind up saying to get him to understand he needed to get the top to you?!

I purchased mine in July and he has kept telling me "later" "later" etc. I feel almost as if he's going to take my money and run! Luckily, I've only paid him half ($1195) and keep telling him I will only pay him the rest when he says it's done and shipping. I don't want to throw good money after bad....

He's now told me it will "ship Nov. 30th" but refuses to put that into email because he says that "customer service costs extra." I kid you not. His words!
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 PM

Garage
I'm curious.

You need to have a hard top in order to track you Solstice?

Or so you can have rear bars on the rollbar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode