Handgun carry - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Greatgab
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Handgun carry

I am looking for advice on what location that those who carry keep their handgun while driving. It's just not very comfortable on person while driving so I wondered if someone has ideas. The front pocket on the seat? Custom bag/holster? Waterfall? Yes, I realize I can install a lock box but that's not the input I'm looking for. And in advance of anti-gun activists please keep your opinions to yourselves or start your own thread. I'm interested in helpful input. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
Take a look at the SaddlX tunnel cover which has a holster on each side at your calf. Out here in California, we use them to hold small umbrellas or water bottles...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holster.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	95971   Click image for larger version

Name:	saddlx.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	95973  
SolCal and okiebill like this.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM

In a small car inbetween the passenger seat and console. Think contortions to open the window. Would only make sense if by yourself. Make a pocket for driver seat door side. Texas John Slaughter style
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 AM

The Kapparoo pouch could work. (I believe DDM Works purchased the Kappasphere product line so they may still be available.) It's an expanded pouch that hangs off of the existing seat front pouch.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM

What are you carrying, what holster do you use, and how quickly do you want to access it? Will you keep the holster on, or do you want to store them together? Also, how hidden and/or inaccessible do you want it to be if you are leaving it in the car for some reason?
sirwm likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
i usually hook the holster's belt clip into the pocket on the seat front. the gun is facing the wrong direction for a quick draw but it beats having my butt go numb after 10 minutes on the road.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
What are you carrying, what holster do you use, and how quickly do you want to access it? Will you keep the holster on, or do you want to store them together? Also, how hidden and/or inaccessible do you want it to be if you are leaving it in the car for some reason?
I recently purchased a Sig P365 9mm. It's a micro compact that I carry in a belly band but I don't want the discomfort for longer travel. In the past my 357 revolver was really not a good fit anywhere. As for leaving it in the car I will have a lock box secured in the trunk but will most like just not carry if I am somewhere that I can't take it. While I like the look of the access with the SaddleX I don't want that type of cover for the car. I was was planning to talk with them in Coring. Good questions.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:39 AM

I have built a custom storage compartment under my custom center armrest for just this reason. It is made to fit my Kahr PM9 and a spare magazine. The biggest downside is that the handbrake has to be set to remove the armrest, so it definitely is not quick-access, or even easy access. It doesn't lock - yet - but is so not an obvious storage location that i don't worry about it, even parked with the top down and cover on.

Before the armrest I would keep it in a soft holster tucked into a modified console storage bin that I still keep in front of my seat to use as a cupholder and general catch-all. The access was easy, but it is completely exposed there, so required moving it to the trunk whenever I left it in the car. I can post a picture this evening if you want to see it, but it isn't anything real special.

I will have the armrest and storage bin at Corning if you want to look at them.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 05-13-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 PM

I thought this option

Solstice Lock box

was pretty cool and contacted the forum member but never followed through with it. It looked pretty nice to me. You might want to try to contact the him or if you're handy you could probably make something similar.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the input. Always nice to what others consider when doing something different.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
I've been carrying a small shoulder bag (macho looking black nylon) for my tablet and it has room for a flat semi. Extra handy in shorts weather.

If I have to drive into Seattle, which I rarely do in the GXP, I'll have the bag between the seats or between my legs with the strap under me to prevent sliding.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Ankle holsters if you wear long pants solves a lot of problems too. Google "Uncle Mike's" if you are interested. They're pretty cheap and comfortable unless you are trying to carry a cannon around with you.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:08 AM

Garage
Is there a way to make/purchase a small 'box' mounted under the glove box?

I am thinking something with a design like a cabin filter slot/box with a clipped door on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode