Have you had a waterpump fail? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
View Poll Results: Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)
No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles) 45 39.13%
No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles) 20 17.39%
Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend) 37 32.17%
Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles) 10 8.70%
Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed) 2 1.74%
NA - Normally Aspirated 28 24.35%
GXP - turbo 47 40.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Is the problem the Dex Cool?.....

Dex-cool Contamination
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Your a newbe so just to enlighten you the GXP's for some reason seem to have water pump failures usually around the 30000 mile mark and up . Not all mind you but enough that there is some concern, for some reason the NAs are not affected by this as much there have been a lot of posts on the forum addressing this problem .
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 AM

Mine just failed on my GXP at 43,000
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
Your a newbe so just to enlighten you the GXP's for some reason seem to have water pump failures usually around the 30000 mile mark and up . Not all mind you but enough that there is some concern, for some reason the NAs are not affected by this as much there have been a lot of posts on the forum addressing this problem .
This is news to me -- that the failures happen far more often in the GXPs than the NAs.

As I'm sure I've already said far too many times, my 2006 NA had the original WP replaced at around 36k, that one replaced around 66k and may need another one now (at 95k) -- unless my low coolant level ISN'T a warning sign of anything other than the need to add some coolant, which I'll do today.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:49 AM

40K N/A auto, recently bought Coupe at 37K, no known repairs, WP still going strong.

Is there any disparity in WP failure between autos and sticks, hard driving and granny driving, etc. as there appears to be between the Turbos and the N/A's? Do autos have seperate tranny coolers?

I ask, because in my experience, engines with autos last much longer than ones with sticks. Of course, the extra wear that manuals impart to an engine concerns mostly the pistons and rings, I'm just curious if WP's are somehow affected by the wilder swings of rpm and torque reversal from engine braking from manuals. It doesn't seem likely, but I just thought I'd ask.
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:36 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
If you have not yet read the transmission succage thread, I recommend it. The autos have unique issues with hard sifting.

There is no reported evidence of any meaningful difference in wear between an auto and a manual. I would like to read some sources for your claim about a difference in life of engine internals. I fail to understand the science behind this statement.

The observed data indicates that a kappa driven within the design parameters, at factory HP levels will last for server all hundred thousand miles with normal maintenance. Clutches, water pumps etc. high HP cars as you would expect tend to fail earlier, but even then it's generally upwards of 100k.

There is evidence that suggests the seals on the water pump are the issue and that as a result of their location and environment, they fail early. Décolleté does not appear to be an issue.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:52 PM

According to the poll here; 60% haven't had a water pump failure yet. Perhaps the common failure, may not be that common after all?

1954 MG Magnette ZA
1971 Triumph TR6 (Supercharged)
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Conv
2015 Ford F350 4X4
2014 Jaguar XF Sport
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2012 Fiat 500 Sport
1971 Corvette Conv.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

And those 60% have yet to hit 60k yet.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Garage
I'm no math whiz, but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyfromVA View Post
According to the poll here; 60% haven't had a water pump failure yet. Perhaps the common failure, may not be that common after all?
I don't mean this nearly as harshly as it will probably appear, but that's an absurd conclusion!

First, who'd agree that 40% premature failure is acceptable? If you say that 60% haven't had a water pump failure yet, you're also saying that 40% have -- and you're saying that a 40% failure rate is acceptable.

Aside from that: Look at the numbers in the poll -- which, no offense, has serious flaws of its own that make the results virtually meaningless:
* 25 of the respondents who haven't have a WP failure have <50,000 miles on their car, and I'd bet that many of them have substantially less than 50k
* 17 had a failure at >50k miles -- and there was no provision for indicating that you've had more than one WP failure (as has my car)
* The number of NA & GXP cars totals up to 44 -- while the responses in the "Yes" and "No" options total up to 58. With no provision for one voter to indicate that they've had more than one failure, and presumably the poll software won't allow the same voter to vote more than once, shouldn't the number of responses be the same as the total number of NA & GXP cars combined?

The low number of responses -- either Yes OR No responses -- would probably be considered statistically meaningless when you consider that there are supposedly something like 23-24,000 members of this forum (which seems like an impossibly, unbelievably high number -- but I've seen it somewhere).

Even if the number of forum members was 2300 -- not 23,000 -- 44 cars being reported on or 58 total responses is statistically meaningless.

And finally, here's a thought I'm sure has some merit:
* MANY Solstice owners have sold their car -- and many of them have done so due to the problems they had with it. With water pump failure appearing to be one of the most frequent problems Solstice owner's -- including ones who are current forum members, but certainly also including many who aren't -- have had, doesn't it stand to reason that water pump failures have occurred to FORMER members, and have almost certainly been instrumental in causing the sale of a lot of Solstices?

And isn't it virtually certain that many former owners who sold their car due at least in part to water pump failure are no longer forum members -- and thus didn't participate in the poll?

The anecdotal evidence that many -- too many -- Solstice water pumps fail at an unacceptably premature mileage -- relative to how many miles water pumps typically last in ALL vehicles -- is overwhelming.

Just because it hasn't happened to YOUR car doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to FAR more cars than it should have, based on industry norms.

Last edited by Carey; 12-08-2014 at 07:06 AM.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Just to throw in a little more controversy. Over four million ecotec engines were built and placed in everything from cars to farm machinery to taxis and other commercial vehicles all over the world. It is interesting to note that, according to factory records, this engine had the lowest warrantee payout costs of any engine ever produced by GM and no record of unusual failure of water pumps. Its kinda of like the old joke, "If you've been married four times, it might be your fault". Could it possibly be that maybe we are doing something wrong?
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
MANY Solstice owners have sold their car -- and many of them have done so due to the problems they had with it

For the record, my GXP has been one of the best, most reliable cars I've ever owned. Other than the rear end seal that was replaced under warranty, and now a slightly leaking water pump, I've had virtually no problems whatsoever.

But Carey is right about the statistics. The sample size here is too small, and to have any chance of significance, it needs to be random.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM

the participation, I mean
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

How many miles on yours Kelly? And Oceansol, get it fixed soon or it will catastrophically fail.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 AM

According to the poll, there are 23 reported pump failures out of almost 27,000 members. Doesn't sound that bad to me.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
And Oceansol, get it fixed soon or it will catastrophically fail.
I promise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode