Have you had a waterpump fail? - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
View Poll Results: Have you had a waterpump fail on your Solstice? (please also chose NA or GXP as well)
No.....don't jinx me!! (I'm under 50,000miles) 45 39.13%
No....I'm on borrowed time (I have over 50,000 miles) 20 17.39%
Yes (My car had less then 60,000 miles when it happend) 37 32.17%
Yes...(My car had between 60,000 and 100,000 miles) 10 8.70%
Yes....(My car had over 100,000 when the waterpump failed) 2 1.74%
NA - Normally Aspirated 28 24.35%
GXP - turbo 47 40.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Have you had a waterpump fail?

Thanks Ghost. I love your posts by the way. I have the Dash Command ap. i think it has a log feature so maybe I'll try that. I just went under the car and I think the front seal is leaking. Even noticed an old oil (dark color) up past the Cat on the back side of the turbo. Does the turbo connect to the oil delivery somehow? (Think so). If so there may be a fitting leak as well.

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODROD View Post
Thanks Ghost. I love your posts by the way. I have the Dash Command ap. i think it has a log feature so maybe I'll try that. I just went under the car and I think the front seal is leaking. Even noticed an old oil (dark color) up past the Cat on the back side of the turbo. Does the turbo connect to the oil delivery somehow? (Think so). If so there may be a fitting leak as well.
Yes. There is an oil supply to the turbo and a return to the crankcase.

Yogi

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line
5 Speed Stick, Chrome Wheels
Black with Black Top and Black Leather
Single Disk Monsoon
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODROD View Post
Thanks GodRod.....I was a moderator many moons ago for an online racing sim (my job was 2 fold, moderate the forums and literally be a chief steward for the races and decide what was a "racing incident, and what was avoidable) and while our mods do an awesome job, I get frustrated at times because I can't speak my mind in some cases....Anywho, as Yogi said, there is a feed line and return line, one set for oil, one set for coolant. Are you noticing any clutch slippage? If so, then it would be the rear main seal leaking. But that would only be visable (most of the time) on the bottom side of the motor...

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Well its's an automatic. I'm seeing oil on the front of the engine (remember they just replaced the cover second time once for the water pump I assume and a second time for the timing chain) I brought it to the dealers this morning to diagnose the lean condition bank 1 at Idol as well as the oil leak. I do have an extended warranty but this is possibly a "go back"

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Garage
Factory one failed

Yes, at 58000 miles
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM

mine leaked at 25,000 miles

got lucky and had it covered by the extended warranty. happened somewhere in '14, mine is a '07 with 55k on it now...
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Didn't know this was a problem. Just turned 50K , should I replace it?

If at first you don't succeed....... do it like your wife said to in the first place!
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 PM

The original pump on my GXP went recently at 178,000 miles. That's the longest I've ever had a water pump last on any car. It's just a theory, but I think the low mileage cars that fail may be due to sitting out the winter or are only being started up on weekends. Or I was just lucky, which is a very rare occurrence.
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Blue...don't do it till it starts leaking. It's expensive!! About $1000. You'll know when it needs to be done because in about 80% of the cases of the low coolant light, it's the WP leaking. SolCal, I'm guessing you're just lucky. But, I'm guessing you drive your car more then 50 miles/day? If so, that plays into the "ball" theory of where the coolant develops balls that are wedged into the seals and cause the WP to leak. But, if you get the car hot enough, the balls actually disappear. Now, before anyone crucifies me for saying this, all of this was discussed in another post.
BobKatnKy likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 AM

'06 Sol, replaced @ ~66k. Discovered at time MAF sensor failed. Which was a weird failure to experience at 70mph. :-)

Daiwa
VIN 1702 DOD 10-22-05
BEAUTIFUL, BLACK
& CLUBS IN THE BACK
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Was too late to cast my vote, but in my case the answer is: No 92,000mi on the original water pump.
2007 Solstice GXP
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
ok, Ive read a lot of this...so what are the indacations of wp failure? just like a normal warter cooled car? weep hole weeps or drips or pours? or something else? yes Im new to these gm cars with the pump driven off the chain for some reason...( Im not a gm fan..... at all...with that said I did just sell off my race car to buy this( and buy some other stuff too) it did have a gm part in it...1 gm part. (tall deck bowtie block 572 ci, just the block as gm everything else was after market) car was also set up for my 600+ hp small block mopar, witch also went. Im new to all this fancy stuff, hell I dont even know exzactly what engine is in this thing....other than a ecotech 2.4. I got's lotsa learning to do...my racing dayz are over. so if you see me ask a stupid question....it isant stupid from my stand point, but may be from yours. this is one of the few areas I know squat about. very few areas vehicle related..( Im not up on stock stuff...at all.or newer electronic age cars.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode