Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Headlight Protection

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Saveaux 
#1 ·
I've seen several posts on dulled scratched or sand blasted headlights and how to recondition them. Given the replacement cost of our headlights, I saw something in a catalogue I just received that might address the problem. It is a 30 mil thick clear urethane film that glues over your headlight and prevents small rocks and sand from causing problems. They come custom cut to fit various cars including the Kappas. Have a look:

XPEL? Headlight Protection Kit, Light Guards - California Car Cover Company

The reason I had a catalogue was that I bought a really spiffy little jack from them. All alloy, folds flat to 1.5" high and capable of raising 2,00 lbs. to 6.5" high. I need one for some heavy (450 lb.) speakers I need to maneuver, but it strikes me that they would stow neatly in a Kappa and not take up much space. Given that we have no spare wheel, the benefit may be limited, but it would still be nice to be able to get under the car while on the road if necessary.

If you are interested, see Low Profile Billet Aluminum Jack | California Car Cover Company

#2 ·
Thanks for posting this. I have clear bras on both of my Sol's but no headlight protection. The 2007'roadster has the 2009 street edition ( same as the coupe) headlights. I paid a good $ for them. Crazy that I don't have them protected. Have ordered a set for each Sol.

#10 ·
... been over a year now...

How is the protection working out ?

#3 ·
Please let us know how they work out - I may want some too.

#4 · (Edited)
I've had the clear-bra material on my headlights for 8 years and love it! Really helps protect from chips/nicks & seems to be doing well regarding any yellowing so far. But, then again our cars are garaged for at least 5 months every year, so not as much UV exposure as those that are left outdoors 24/7. I highly recommend using it not only on the headlamps & foglamps, but I have the front bumper, hood, rocker panels & backsides of my mirrors on the Coupe as well. Even cut some small pieces for inside the door handles to prevent scratching the door while opening. Especially on a Black car!!

#5 ·
I agree 100% and even more on a black Coupe. We are lucky to have them and you have to protect them. We are moving at the end of June. Stay tuned for my piece on my "Coupe Cave"?!?!? Don't know if you saw my thread on the GMPP Tune on my Coupe? I had an extra one of your GMPP tune brake light cover decals that you made me for the roadster. It is now proudly on the Coupe.

#6 · (Edited)
yeah but...

before putting that stuff onto the headlights, you have to have headlights that are in good shape.

I have 3 cars: one in great shape, another where the top of the light is fogging, and a 3rd that really is in need of headlight TLC.

#8 ·
They arrived today. I had a local tint installer put them on the Coupe. Arrived just in time as I am leaving tomorrow for Nationals. All seems good. The installer thought the film was quite thick compared to the 3m that they usual use. He thought this was a good thing for added protection. He said installing them was more difficult than the 3m stuff. Not a job I would want to do. See how they wear on the Roadtrip but right now I give them a :thumbs:

#12 ·
Glad to hear there holding up Northern & it sounds like a good product. So far so good on my cars with the the 3 m film with no yellowing or peeling . I had my entire coupe done with 3 m film several moons ago as it was by far the most expensive thing i have had done to it & with no regrets so far.

#13 ·
it would sure be nice if some aftermarket lenses were available.....I thought about buying a new set and keeping them on the shelf.mine look great but do have a few twinkles. I probably should get some of those films.also need some on the body just infront of the rear tires that seem to be peppered... looks like very light black over spray...but it aint. hmm I need a wind deflector for the hood to wack away the small stones before that get to the hood or windshield!!! got one on the wifes honda element...dont do a lot..or possiably it does and the car wouldent have any paint or windshield it it wasent there....

#14 ·
it would sure be nice if some aftermarket lenses were available.....I thought about buying a new set and keeping them on the shelf.mine look great but do have a few twinkles.

I saw a set of lenses only on Ebay about a month or two ago it has been the only set I have ever seen for sale , per the seller they were in very good condition I have no idea how he removed them. NOS headlights are becoming hard to find the going price is $250.00 each the Street Editions (blacked out instead of chrome trim ) have pretty much dried up I know Crate Engine Depot had a few sets for sale awhile ago .

#16 ·
I like the chrome inside. I dont think my silver solstice would look good with black eyes.. just how clear ar these covers? can you tell they are on a new looking lens with a a "new" lens look? or ....? do they show more than a lens would? how do yhou get them off once they do die and replace?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.