Help!!! Looking at buying my first GXP - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Help!!! Looking at buying my first GXP

Ok so like the title says, Iím looking at buying a GXP. I wanted to see if there was anything I should know before going into this. I have looked around on this forum for a few things but thought I would start this thread and see if I could get some more help. I guess my main question is what year should I look at. I noticed that the 07/08 had a recall. I take it this is not the case for the 09's? Should I be worried about anything on the 09's vs. earlier years? What about power ? My last Pontiac was a 97 Grand Prix GTP and I remember the 97's were the only ones with 34 lbs. injectors vs. the other years being 32 lbs. which helped when I modified the SC. Ill be using this as a daily driver but I plan on upgrading the power as much as I can which brings me to a few other questions. I saw the GM upgrade for the turbos. Are there better upgrades? what about other performance parts? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

-Michael J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 AM

We have two '08's and haven't had any major issues with quality, and as far as I know there have been no recalls.
The GMPP LNF Turbo Upgrade is a good tune for our cars and it retains the warranty. On a manual transmission car it bumps it from 260hp/260tq to 290hp/340tq (less torque on the auto) and is a definite improvement. Just solder the connections on the sensor wires after you get it home or you WILL have issues.

John's- 2008 Sly GXP Manual Transmission- Loaded- Ebony interior w/red stitching
Tracy's- 2008 Mean GXP Automatic Transmission- Loaded- Ebony interior w/white stitching

MODS:
SLY: GMPP LNF Upgrade, Backbone, Z0K Sways, GMR Hi-Flow CAT, Kappasphere springs, painted calipers, Opel shorty antenna

MEAN: Lighted Windrestrictor, painted calipers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM

Also GMPP is the lowest power gain for a "tune"

There are many tunes available out there (aftermarket) that see more HP

As far as year to year, Make sure your GXP has the vent tube recall done (nbd) and you should be good to go.

As far as aftermarket / performance parts, you can take your pick of the vendors. Most sponsor this website, so check out their webpages in the vendor section.

However remember that modding a Kappa IS AN ADDICTION THAT'S INCURABLE!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Yep

08 Deep&Silver GXP
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Mine is 2007. Bought it new and have had no issues. I have 25,000 klms on her and still have two years + to go on the warranty. I paid a little more to get 6 years warranty bumper to bumper. As for Mods being addictive with these cars....they sure are!!!! I have tried to rehab so many times. I just had my exhaust done and I said that that would be it for 2011 mod wise. I lied, to myself, my fellow forum members, my wife, my dog. Next up GMPP performance tune as that does not void the warranty!!!!

You will love the GXP. I am a former Corvette man and I am enjoying my Sol as much ..... Perhaps even a little more. You get so many looks as there are so few.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades - SOLD Sept 13, 2019
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Garage
As always, the latest year normally has the fewest issues as everything has been sorted out (using the owners of earlier years as guinea pigs).

Having said that, I don't think there are huge differences between years with the GXPs. As miller said, if you buy one that is still on warranty, you have the decisions of whether or not to risk warranty coverage by going to a non-approved tune (i.e. anything other than stock and GMPP tunes).

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
1) Run a CARFAX report to check for any issues on record

2) Go to the GM dealer with the VIN and pull a report from the GM maintenance database, it will provide a lot of useful info on maintenance, failures, mileage, and recalls applied or outstanding

3) Early 08s had the electric vacuum brake booster pump deleted. Some have had issues due to this. There are two fixes, one software one adds the pump back to the car as a "kit"

4) 09s had the center double cup holder deleted. Many find this a problem and some have had the dealer install one. See threads on this subject

5) 2010 MY has updated engine management software and is not compatible with the GMPP tune.

6) Check the front cup holder to see if itís there and functional.

7) Visually inspect the differential for seeping / leaking and operation. Some 07s had noise issues and there was a recall to install a special additive to address issues.

8) Visually inspect the undercarriage. Look for damage due to lifting in the area of the front fenders and the front lift points. Put a torque wrench on the bolts that retain the wheels on the inside as there are a few cases of these coming loose. Check the shocks for leakage, there are a few instances of them failing prematurely.

9) Visually inspect the "chin" for damage, many have been run into curbs and need repair. Itís a place where you can easily get it fixed but could negotiate the fix into the purchase price.

10) Cycle the tops several times for proper operation and look for any wear on the sides where the trunk hold down feet contact the fabric. Some scuffing is ok but the unwary owner has often had the top holed in this area. Visually inspect the trunk lid to make sure the rubber portion of the hold down feet are intact and properly aligned. Check the top for proper deployment and any sticking as well as general alignment. Make sure the twin flaps move freely and smoothly. Verify that both buttresses release easily and completely. Check the condition of the trunk hinges and the torsion bars. If the trunk has popped open when in motion, the hinges can be damaged and the torsion bars are known to fail occasionally. The fix is to pull the rear bumper cover and while itís not difficult, it can be a significant labor charge to get it done.

11) Visually inspect the center console. Many have failed due to their design. If the previous owner put any significant weight on the center console cover, it is most likely cracked. The cracking starts at the curved rear portion on the driverís side and progresses up through the center of the console cover. Often you can press down on the cover and see it flexing abnormally in this area and determine that it is unsound. Itís an easy fix, but if out of the bumper to bumper warranty, it will cost about $100 for a new part. If in doubt, pull up on the rear of the console cover and it will pop up so you can visually inspect the underside.

12) Visually inspect the tire pump assembly in the trunk. Itís about $50 to replace and its all you have on the road.

13) Visually inspect the intercooler for damage or defects. Many have been run into curbs and damaged, they are subject to foreign object damage on the road and unless you give them a good look you may not discover it until you have a problem. In rare instances, GMPP equipped GXPs have experienced splitting of the IC can on the outlet side. It is hidden by the plastic shroud but you can infer damage if there are codes thrown regularly or on cold start you listen up front near the ground you can hear a sucking sound.

14) Manually inspect the hose clamps for tightness. Give the air cleaner a quick look. If its full of tons of junk, that may be an indicator of the attention that the car received from the current owner and be a subject for triggering a more detailed inspection of the car by a trusted tech.

15) Check the condition of the MAF sensor where it mates with the intake tubing up front. Some have been broken off and glued back on as an expedient repair. This is not necessarily bad but is another indicator of the level of attention the current owner gave to the car.

16) Check for heavy uneven wear in the tires. If they were rotated as required, they should be evenly worn. If they are not, then that is another indicator.

17) Pull up the passenger side carpet and give the BCM a quick look. Is the cover in place? Does it show signs of having been removed frequently? Are there any signs of modification or tampering?

18) Inspect the fuse / relay box on the left side of the engine bay at the firewall. Look for any signs of problems, excessive handling or modifications.

19) Visually inspect the turbo for any signs of external cracking, oil leaking, or ďmodificationsĒ to the actuation rod. The locktite should be intact with no signs of the nut having been turned.

20) Check the coolant level and color. If there is any question or anomaly, have it tested for specific gravity.

21) Have a person sit in the passenger seat to verify the proper operation of the seat airbag sensor. Several have failed and its relatively expensive to have them repaired out of warranty.

22) Check for proper operation of the driverís seat lift motor. Many are never used and need to be lubricated to free them up properly.

23) Road test the car. Make sure all systems are functional. Check the DIC for all displays and the presence of any codes or warnings.

24) Visually inspect all the rubber seals Ė they are hard to find and some are very expensive.

25) Visually inspect the condition of the headlight and tail light assemblies. They are expensive and difficult to find. Some light pitting can be polished out but cracks are a problem.

26) For automatic cars, drive the car in low speed conditions an check for smooth upshifts and downshifts. Some cars are experiencing very hard 3-2 and 2-1 downshifts apparently due to undiagnosed camshaft position sensor failures.
easyryderca likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
1) Run a CARFAX report to check for any issues on record

2) ...
3) ...
26) For automatic cars, drive the car in low speed conditions an check for smooth upshifts and downshifts. Some cars are experiencing very hard 3-2 and 2-1 downshifts apparently due to undiagnosed camshaft position sensor failures.

Wow - great list - somebody needs to post this thread for all to see !

easyryderca likes this.

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 AM

I love my 07 GXP. check Autotrader.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
Wow - great list - somebody needs to post this thread for all to see !

When I went shopping for a used Sol, I learned a lot! And having lived with both cars and their idiosyncrasies for 3+ years I learned even more.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Garage
4.5) 08 and earlier did not have bluetooth.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Hi! I just picked up a low mileage 08GXP (8900 original) and after having it for a few days I've discovered that it has the cold start brake booster problem. Does anyone have info on the retro kit to add back the vacuum pump? NHTSA apparently did not issue a recall (that I could find) and I haven't found much about a TSB to fix it... If I can get carmax to add the pump (without messing with an ECM flash), that would be my preference. Pontiac Solstice Service Brakes Hydraulic - 2008 PONTIAC SOLSTICE Problems With Service Brakes Hydraulic
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Talk with GStage 1, he has had it done on his car.

I have one with the vacuum pump and one without. Most of the time you can not tell the difference. Rarely the 08 without will exhibit the low vacume behavior for a couple of minutes but it works fine.

Are you having brake problems?

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Mine had it done at the dealership, but it was in the first 5k... Or at least I think that's what the history was talking about when it said Brake <something> TSB.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM

Great list thank you. I am still in the learning/shopping stage on this car and one thing i have noticed is the alignment of the front hood to the fender on some cars there seems to be a abnormally large gap on one side. I used to own a 70 mustang and they were uni-body. If you seen a bow at the top of the front fender of one of these cars it was usually a indication the engine had been rev'd high and the clutch dumped causing the body to twist. Is this something that is found in the Solstice as well and an explanation for the gap? if not, any thoughts on why you would see large gaps? thanks in advance

Last edited by Thump; 07-24-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode