• 2 Post By rob the elder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hydroplaning Solstice

Close call in Oklahoma.

Looks like the Solstice came out without much damage

https://www.newson6.com/story/403323...ts-ohp-trooper

Be careful in heavy rains with a light RWD car!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Saw this on the local news in Nashville yesterday. I wonder if that was Dad's car the kid was driving.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 PM

Location: Phoenix Arizona where there are about 250 days a year for convertible Bebop-ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygriff View Post
Close call in Oklahoma.

Looks like the Solstice came out without much damage

https://www.newson6.com/story/403323...ts-ohp-trooper

Be careful in heavy rains with a light RWD car!!!
It is the inordinately wide tires. I had the same with a 1990 Pontiac Formula. Both that and my 2008 Solstice "Sweetie" would do anything on a dry road. An eigth inch of water and Look Out! Be carefull on a wet road!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Turnpike driving. Lots of people are unaware to NOT use cruise control in rain conditions.
That would be my guess.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM

My Solstice does not have CC, but on my daily driver switching off CC is just as fast as letting go of the pedal. On top of that the ESC works perfectly with CC switched on. Except during heavy downpours I always use the CC during rain. Also I am very aware how unsafe RWD cars are compared to FWD and AWD.

I do find the OEM Solstice tires dangerous on a wet road and recommend every one to go for something better. I went for Michelin Pilot Supers Sport ( summer tire )
Greatgab likes this.

Last edited by RedOne07; 04-21-2019 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Edited the word 'stock' to 'OEM'
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 AM

If the car was on stock tires, that could easily happen. Hard to believe though that after all this time it would still be on the OEM tires, I hope not.
Sting Ya and easyryderca like this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Sorry for the confusion, I was not aware stock means something was never replaced and was refering to people driving on the same type of Goodyear RSA as when the car was new. During the years I have seen several Solstice that had the OEM tires replaced by the same type of tire. Will edit my post and write OEM instead of stock.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I was not aware stock means something was never replaced and was refering to people driving on the same type of Goodyear RSA as when the car was new. During the years I have seen several Solstice that had the OEM tires replaced by the same type of tire. Will edit my post and write OEM instead of stock.
What you said was perfectly correct. Stock or OEM both refer to the type of tire and not the actual tire. Original would refer to the actual tires put on at the factory.

If that is an NA, and it looks like it is, then it probably doesn't have ESC. Wasn't that only available for the last year? And I know a lot of people who foolishly make a habit of turning it (and the DRLs) off as soon as they start the car, so it may not have been on if it did have it.

While you can turn CC off as quickly as lifting the throttle, that can sometimes be a bad thing, as the sudden change can actually cause or worsen, a spin. When manually controlling the throttle you can feather it slightly, which is much better. You also tend to be less aware when using CC, so it actually may take longer to react.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
the dealer put new tires on mine before I picked it up last month..wish he hadent,I like to choose my own tire tread for rain siping...these have no sipes. I think there nextkin or somenthing like that...like contact next of kin....after it hydroplanes.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Garage
After viewing the video, my guess is that the driver was going WAY too fast for the conditions (as is pretty common in rain, snow and ice conditions), saw the police officer, applied the brakes aggressively, lost control and put the Solstice into a spin. As much as tires play a huge roll in traction (obviously), there are limits for all tires and this driver exceeded those limits. Glad to see everyone was alright and that the Sole had minimal damage.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:41 AM

Probably correct RM. Aquaplaning / hydroplaning is directly related to speed. It happens to me several times a year and I just reduce speed and keep a straight line and all will be fine . . . . as long as the road goes straight of course.

I can imagine it might be scary for some people and they steer away to a less wet part of the road or step on the clutch and or brake. Don't do that just reduce speed gently and all will be fine.

Quote:
While you can turn CC off as quickly as lifting the throttle, that can sometimes be a bad thing, as the sudden change can actually cause or worsen, a spin. . . . .
Of course one steps on the gas at the same time CC is switched off.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Back in the early years, the NAs factory tires were notorious for having problems in the wet. There were many drivers who reported significant hydroplaning due to the tires. Many swapped to the same style tires as the GXP for this reason. Some tires are very good in the wet, others not so much.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:37 AM

The problem with the RS-As didn't really feel like hydroplaning, as they were very stable going straight, no matter the amount of water on the road. The problems arose when turning, as any application of power would suddenly cause them to lose grip even at relatively low speeds and with not much more than a wet surface. I got pretty much sideways on a highway on-ramp at about 45 MPH during a very light shower.

That said, they made the lower power of the NA a lot of fun in the dry, as they were really easy to put into a mild and very controllable drift.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
Im quite used to hydroplaining. running 19.5" wide tires on my street car was just fine in most weather,but where I live there is a bridge to get any where and everywhere. those tires had zero sipes and deep grooves ( mickey Thompson prostreet sportsman 19.5"x33") very soft compound for go fast.very fast very quick . but they were **** in the wet weather,( better than the same tire but hard compound but not much) I went to a hoosier tire block pattern dirt track tire, better hook and awesome wet weather drivability(untill there almost wore out) after selling the prostreet/drag car to build a all new car those tires went on to my vw bug...again the mickeys were **** for wet, but when I put the hoosiers on oh so sweet!!! if you do wet driving get wet tires!!!!lotsa side sipes to remove the water from under the tire. and now that I have this solstice....the bug has to go... no room for 3 cars, just my 356 and the solstice. someday Ill introduce my solstice to it's older brother the 356, ( in the big shop) the solstice stays in the car port. solar tires are inexpensive and have awesome wet weather&dry weather drivability. (wally world carries them, made by sumituto tire, 3rd largest tire mfg in the world. I have them on the front of my bug and love them.about $70 for the solstice size. IMHO eazely hydro planed tires should be outlawed.( any tire that has any grooves just going around the tire and not siped to the sides to remove the water. I wish I had a tire grooving tool....other than my skill saw.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
What you said was perfectly correct. Stock or OEM both refer to the type of tire and not the actual tire. Original would refer to the actual tires put on at the factory.

If that is an NA, and it looks like it is, then it probably doesn't have ESC. Wasn't that only available for the last year? And I know a lot of people who foolishly make a habit of turning it (and the DRLs) off as soon as they start the car, so it may not have been on if it did have it.

While you can turn CC off as quickly as lifting the throttle, that can sometimes be a bad thing, as the sudden change can actually cause or worsen, a spin. When manually controlling the throttle you can feather it slightly, which is much better. You also tend to be less aware when using CC, so it actually may take longer to react.
There's actually another layer, however I don't know if it applies to the RS-As on the Solstice: GM has a Tire Performance Criteria that is used on tires fitted from the factory. This defines it's overall performance (traction, noise, wear, etc..) to GM's requirements. Because GM/Pontiac is striving for particular performance for a particular vehicle, they may request that the tire manufacturer make changes to the tire construction for an existing design. This may include compound changes or other construction variances, but the the tire otherwise looks identical to the "retail" version. So if you were to replace the TPC spec RS-A with a retail RS-A you may get different performance characteristics. Search "TPC spec" on the interwebs, and you'll probably get a better explanation. "TPC spec" will be molded into the sidewall somewhere on these tires.

Regarding the video: we also have no idea how worn the tires are on that Sol or the ambient temperature. If the tires were bald, the brand & style make little difference for hydroplaning. Additionally, if fitted with a soft summer compound and it was 55 degrees F outside, for example, the tires might've been hard as a rock. These factors we'll never know but I'd weigh them more heavily than the lightness and drive configuration of the Solstice, given no other detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode