Let's revisit my vibration issue - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Let's revisit my vibration issue

I figured now that there are some new people here, maybe they have some ideas for me on my vibation issue. Let me give a bit of background.

Last spring I had a leaky rear tire. Took it in and had it fixed. 2 things that MAY have happened. My car "may" have hit the lift (I didn't stay with it this one time...grrrr) and/or when "test driving" it the tech ran it over redline ( I have no rev limiter as I'm tuned and it was removed..and yes, my car pulls just as hard at 6k as it does at 2500, and if you aren't familiar with it, it's very easy to go past 6k and not realize it!!). When I got it back, I noticed 2 things. The first was my exhaust was weird sounding. So I looked underneath and I noticed the mesh hinge was failing and what looked like scrap marks on the front portion. I also noticed it was resting against the driveshaft tunnel. So I ordered a new front portion from Solo. The second item was the vibration that I now had....

My car has an ear shattering, nasty "smooth" (if that's possible) vibration from about 900rpm to 1500rpm. I cannot figure out why. I really don't want to tear the front open and replace the timing chain if that isn't it. My car has 82k on it. I have done some prehistoric data logging and can tell you this. My commanded AFT was 29.4 during FCO last year prior to this issue. It's not 27.58 during FCO. It appears to be running just a touch richer as well. Last year at idle it would usually stick to 14.7, 14.58...then after it went to 14.5...14.2. My other concern is that my downstream O2 sensor ranges from 0.89 to 1.2....which I don't believe it is supposed to do. So, 2 years ago I replaced the HPFP. I have replaced the spark plugs last summer. I have done the thermostat last spring. I don't have a hold in my IC. I cleaned my MAF. I cleaned my air filter (CAI Fujita). I have unplugged HPFP, both O2 sensors and MAP sensors, cleaned them and plugged them back in....

Please help!!! I really don't want to do a timing chain if that's not my problem....

Things I'm leaning toward...

Lazy Fuel Injector
Throttle Position Sensor
Dirty throttle body
dirty valves

Any advice???

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:58 PM

Question: Is the vibration present when not driving (i.e. stopped, but with the engine running)?

If only when driving, I'd suggest the drive shaft, but I'll bet it's not that easy

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Rotate the tires and see if that changes it

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:01 PM

I'm confused by "ear shattering" and "vibration" being used together. Ear shattering implies noise, but vibration suggests feel. Which, or both?

Given what you saw underneath the car it either hit the lift or was driven over something or off the edge of the pavement.

Also, from your description it appears to be engine speed related, and independent of road speed.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Alright, let me get more technical guys...sorry. It happens when sitting still and moving. So it's definitely something engine related. I was going to try to capture a glass of water on the engine, but my camera isn't fast enough to show the ripples in the glass....

JohnWR, the vibration is so bad, it's like a bass speaker.... Low amplitude, but the frequency is fast and close enough to be ear shattering. Not sure if that analogy makes sense? Plastic pieces from inside the car squeak because of the resonance. It's extremely hard on my ears inside the car when it is in that rpm range. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was a broken timing chain guide it should have already skipped a link right? I mean, I'm not the easiest driver on that little engine. I've been on several 100+ mile cruises with it since this all started. And we all know we don't drive like little angels on the cruises... Furthermore, if I had skipped a link, I would have a CEL by now...right? I can't believe carbon on the valves would give me such a horrible vibration.

A few things I've been leaning toward.....

Going bad Throttle Position Sensor
Going bad O2 sensor

I'm also leaning toward a possible alternator bearing failure, but I think by now it would have been squealing.
Or my exhaust....

My other question is this...is it possible to "overfill" the coolant? When I did my thermostat last year, I drained 1.5 gallons out and replaced 2.25 gallons...and it was not down according to the reservoir and never had a low coolant light or overheating issues prior to the thermo replacement.

It's like my HPFP, I really don't want to tear the front of the motor off if it's not a timing chain guide or balance chain guide....

There was a time last year that it 'seemed' to clear up after a throttle blip....blipped it again and it returned. It does seem to be a lot worse this year after sitting for the winter. (bad injector?) Guys I appreciate all the suggestions/help.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Balance shafts jumped a tooth?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
Balance shafts jumped a tooth?
That's what I'm thinking...but it has gone away at certain points. So I'm not sure I want to tear into the front of the motor if I'm not 100% certain.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
balance shafts could do it at different speeds.IMHO there a bad idea in the first place on any engine. as they are 1 not balanced..2 they are" balanced""tuned" to a somewhat narrow range of operation. 3 the higher the rpm gos the worse they are on things. with out them it's a non issue for most people. if you do not know how or what they do, just sit back in your recliner and move your feet back and forth pivoting it your heals. if you move them side to side the same direction the recliner foot rest will try to fallow and sway with the music.if you move them both out then in towards each your are counter balanced and the recliner foot rest stays perfectly still( unless your outa time).thats how these balance shafts work.they just counteract motions.not really balancing any thing but somebodys butt that probably cant be satisfied any way. I never had a issue with my older 4 cylinders that did not have them...and the newer ones that came out always got rebuilt without them.they cause issues. perhaps issues for the h2o pumps on ours. elimination kits are good ideas/practices when going through your engine. oe even chain&guide replacements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode