Looking to buy Opinions? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Looking to buy Opinions?

So here's my story: I just saw my girlfriends' uncle's solstice and fell in love. Now I'm looking to buy and am considering from the following:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...958814478.html

https://providence.craigslist.org/ct...955097264.html

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto...954998088.html

2007 Used Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible at JV Auto Wholesale Serving MIami, FL, IID 18592200

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am completely new to this car so I'm still learning about what to look for. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:06 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome to the forum

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

You don't have to buy my opinion, I'll give it to you for free!

Check out the sticky subjects at the top of the "Getting Your Solstice" section. Read away and learn all you should be looking for!
TomatoSoup, joybill44 and Saveaux like this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Welcome...I will say this...find out if your girlfriend's uncle has an NA (normally aspirated, 2.4L) or a GXP (turbo 2.0L). If it's a GXP, NEVER go to a 2.4L...you will be disappointed in the performance. The 2.4 has 165? hp and the GXP has 260hp from the factory. Many have been modded and are pushing 300hp+ (mines pushing about 330hp). You can tell a GXP from front or rear. The front it will have grills around the fog lights, where the NA does not. From the rear, unless it's got modded exhaust (which is rare they would go to single exhaust) the GXP has dual exhaust, where the NA has single. So decide what you want, then start to look. An NA in the 20k miles range will be $4500-$7500, where a GXP will be $8500-$12000 depending on years, location, color and mileage. Make sure if you're looking at "higher mileage" (60k+ miles) that the waterpump has been replaced...a very common failure and a dealer cost of about $1500 to replace. We're all here to help "addict" you, so if you have questions, ask away!!! Don't be shy!!!
Saveaux likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:22 PM

The first and last cars you have listed are NA.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 AM

read this -> https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...4/#post2083690

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the responses! I got a car fax report for the last listing and it says it was Registered as red from the start but in 2017 it was registered as black? (Itís black now, doesnít look like a repaint to me) Also itís listed on the site as 40123 miles but car fax says in 2013 it was in service at pep boys with 51876. Are differences like that normal?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:05 AM

The prices look good for all of them, especially the GXP models. However it's hard to recommend a car based on price alone if there's no history available. Some of them may have been driven hard and not maintained, others may have been driving normally and received regular scheduled maintenance.

You can get a service history of a car by asking a GM dealership to run a VIN. But records only show up for service done at GM. But GM will be able to tell you if all the recalls were performed even if they didn't do any maintenance on it. If they took the car to Jiffy Lube then you only have the owners word.

Same with Carfax, if the owner paid for damages themselves then its not going to show up on Carfax or any other vehicle history reports type service.

As others have said, print out a couple of the What to Look For When buying a Solstice threads, and familiarize yourself some of the more common problems the Kappa platform has; waterpumps failures, broken door handles, busted tulip flaps, misaligned body panels, dented bottom front fenders, oil leaks, airbag light, or test drive it to an Autozone type place and ask them to use a code reader to see if any codes are stored or being shown.

There are a lot of these cars for sale, so keep looking until you find a good one, and do not limit yourself to what's available in your area. Plenty of people bought these as fun cars and store them most of the year. Granted the prices will be higher but the saying you get what you pay for still holds true for these cars.

The Facebook Kappa groups are also another resource to find Solstices for sale since people regularly post their cars for sale in several different Kappa groups.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-21-2019 at 06:09 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM

Sometimes it happens...a service writer puts the wrong mileage in. Unkess there are more mileage discrepancies? But I'd be a bit concerned with the color differences. Kind of odd...

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkMackson View Post
Thank you all for the responses! I got a car fax report for the last listing and it says it was Registered as red from the start but in 2017 it was registered as black? (Itís black now, doesnít look like a repaint to me) Also itís listed on the site as 40123 miles but car fax says in 2013 it was in service at pep boys with 51876. Are differences like that normal?
A single discrepancy isn't usually a big deal, but two would usually be a warning.

Have you looked at the car in person? There are a lot of inside surfaces that are body color and that would not normally be repainted unless someone strips the body down to bare metal. Definitely look at those before deciding that it wasn't changed.

Are those the only mileage listings in the CarFax? Six years is quite a long time to go with nothing recorded, although with these as play cars maybe not unusual.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I haven't seen it in person yet, I'm in CT right now and that car is in Florida so I think I'm going to pass. I have been checking out the forum and it's really cool that this car has such a good following. Is there a general consensus about which engine is more reliable/less issues? I would definitely like the turbo but I used to have an MR2 turbo that ended up being a nightmare and I could always put a supercharger on the 2.4 in the future if I need to.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM

General consensus matches your experience with turbo's. The 2.4 is GENERALLY more reliable, but I would never come close to saying the 2.0 turbo is "problematic".

My wife is voting for the supercharger route this "off season". She's never had a speeding ticket in the Solstice while I received 2 early on in our ownership. (I'm thinking she's going to level the score next year.)

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 AM

I did not look at the listings but go for the GXP, little extra power and power drivers seat and think about the mileage on it and how much you will pput on it.

if it's going to be a daily driver, look for low mileage; but if it is going to be driven once a week; you might go for something between 45k and 60k miles and save yourself some money as its likely the solstice admirers will be getting fewer as its getting older and is not considered a collectible but the people that decide that, idiots.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM

The NA is more reliable, but an un-tuned turbo is probably less trouble overall than a modified 2.4.

To me it depends on how likely you are to want to add power.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
Do you prefer / need manual or an automatic?

I totally agree that the GXP/Redline's are 'faster', but the reality is my 2006 NA still goes 85 mph with no issue on the highway and can keep up with all traffic. Unless you plan to auto-X or are a street light racer, I am not sure why you would need to only look at GXP's.

What I have noticed (and its only my opinion) is that the water-pump failures on Kappa's are HIGHLY more probable on GXP's. I don't know why. The cost to repair is expensive unless you can do it on your own (sounds like this can be frustrating as well).

I know my NA has been absolutely trouble free short of fluid changes for the past 4 years I have owned. I drove a GXP and it was nice, but not $4000 nicer for a car I drive only in the summer for about 5-7k miles per year.

Regardless of your decision, the Solstice / Sky are very nice vehicles. Be prepared to get thumbs up and lots of compliments when driving it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode