New Thread: Driver door glass hitting top, need diagram - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Question New Thread: Driver door glass hitting top, need diagram

I owe an update on the results of the repairs to Elsie from the crash on May 4th. That will be forthcoming. Meanwhile I'm dealing with little things as a result of the repairs. One is the driver door window rear edge overlapping the top as it closes. It pushes the top out of the way and seals but it should not hit the top. Passenger side is fine, closes like butter.

I've spent way too much time over the past two or three days researching the forum on this problem which has roots in the beginning of Solstice purchases. Lots of good information and a lot of never followed up on threads as well as the requisite referenced diagram or photo that is not there or the Photo Bucket overlay that obstructs useful information.

This from 2009 seems to hold the key but there's no diagram! Anyone have a reference they can post or direct me to where I've missed it (Rob, TS???)

This was from Small Dealer back in 2009 and referenced through the years but NO diagram. Help, please...

It could be a top adjustment is required or a door glass adjustment.

Here is the information on the top adjustment;

Quote:
Subject: Door Glass Comes in Contact with Convertible Top (Adjust Number 4 Bow)

Condition
Some customers may comment that the door glass is coming in contact with the webbing of the convertible top in the upper rear corners.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the number 4 bow being out of adjustment.

Correction
1) If the glass looks good to the opening with no wind noise or water leaks complaints, then proceed with the number 4 bow adjustment. If the door glass is out of alignment, align or adjust the glass.

2) Use a 10 mm open end wrench to loosen the jam nut. Move the upstop counterclockwise to tighten top cover. Each turn moves the upstop 1 mm (.039 in). There is a 4-to-1 ratio between the upstop and the top of the bow (one turn moves the #4 bow 4 mm (.16 in) at the top). Two turns of the upstop should be sufficient to tighten a loose top. Refer to the illustration above.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information

I appreciate any help on this one and, yes, I have the 3 volume 2007 FSM (FWIW...)

Richard Snipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:56 PM

You should find the information you are looking for in your service manual, page 12-54.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:17 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have had success pulling the inside door panel and loosening the two bolts that hold the window in the regulator. You can move the window up and down or just lower one end. I adjusted both my cars for the same issue by moving the back down a bit.
Once you get the door panel off and the plastic water barrier you can see the two bolts and access them easily

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:57 PM

2007 window adjustment instructions start on 4-24. With diagrams.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Wahoo...I hope this works. Thank you!

John, When I did not see the info on 12-54, in my in my book, I looked a bit forward and backward. The instruction and illustration is on 12-52. 12-54 is, reinstalling the top in my edition. I was missing it. Thank you! It's like the curved part of the top is moved forward and the window hits it. I'm thinking a combination of top and glass adjustment?

Rob, thank you, I understand that and the principle of window adjustments (I think), somewhat fearful as that is. If there's a prayer of no rain tomorrow I will take a couple of photos that hopefully will show what's happening with the window and the top. The glass may need adjusting too but pretty sure the top needs a touch as well.

When the uniside (driver's side rear quarter panel) was replaced, they removed the top. tulip panel, trunk lid, etc. The work was quite good but needs a little tweaking to get back to proper function, in my observations a week out from pick up.

Again, thanks to you both.

Richard
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:09 PM

I had the same problem when I bought my car. As the instructions you posted indicated, I loosened the upstop jam nut and turned the upstop out about one turn. that effectively pulled the top away from the upper rear portion of the window glass.

Bill.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Bill, That's what I thought and I bet when the top was reinstalled it was not adjusted although the passenger side is perfect.. They have worked on Kappas before but I'm not sure as deep as was required on this repair, and to remove the top. The instructions on the forum from 2009 were missing the illustration. John put me close enough in the service manual to get there and Rob doubled on the window adjustment if needed. I found the door handle was broken when I got the car back to the house. Just one bolt so not hyper critical but when I get the replacement in hand, I can do the window adjustment if needed. No rain and I'm on it.

Thanks for the affirmation.

Richard
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post
Bill, That's what I thought and I bet when the top was reinstalled it was not adjusted although the passenger side is perfect.. They have worked on Kappas before but I'm not sure as deep as was required on this repair, and to remove the top. The instructions on the forum from 2009 were missing the illustration. John put me close enough in the service manual to get there and Rob doubled on the window adjustment if needed. I found the door handle was broken when I got the car back to the house. Just one bolt so not hyper critical but when I get the replacement in hand, I can do the window adjustment if needed. No rain and I'm on it.

Thanks for the affirmation.

Richard
Not to get off thread, but if you are changing the outside door handle, fill it with epoxy first and it wont break again.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:22 AM

The top is rubbing the glass at the rear? I had exactly the same issue with my car and they fixed it at the factory in 2008 when I went down for Mecca. The process that they followed is posted with pictures over at Kappaperformance. I hope this helps you get it fixed because leaving it as is will cause the top to wear through over time.

Top rubbing glass? Here's how to fix it.
Black Sheep likes this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation This is it!

Sly Bob,

You have no idea how I have looked for just the photos and sequence you linked to. Clear and concise, and exactly my problem. I will copy the instructions and photos for my Solstice reference guide.

I think I've mentioned in the past how it often seems a resolution is found for some problem and never completed on the forums either with photos or words. Often time the thread simply ends. Sharing complete information is rare and valuable.

Thank you!

Richard Snipes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:52 PM

Just glad I was able to be of some help and thanks for the kind words Richard.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

More is revealed, or not...

Well, not having photos of the top mechanism before the collision work was done and not having a second reference vehicle, what I found is enough different from Bob's layout photos on the kappa site to cause me pause. I'm including two photos of the adjustment stops on my car. There is one inner and one outer on each side. The inner is the one to adjust for the door glass issue as I understand it.

Notice on the outer adjustment there are TWO elastic straps with mounting tabs attached and they are on the side with the lock nut and the straps are in front of the bumper...seems wrong to me. The inner adjuster measures about 3mm difference between the passenger and driver sides and there are no straps with tabs attached. I can see where the strap would route if one were there, but there are FOUR of these things.

I looked at it, made the measurements and got the camera. I need more information.

As a special treat I discovered the passenger side tulip panel flap buggered up. Perhaps a job for JB Weld while there's still something to work with. One problem at a time. Perhaps photos of that tomorrow. I did not find any clearly definitive photos of a broken tulip flap today hinge mount today. Springs too, huh? Damn I hate letting people touch my cars.

Does anyone know a site or service where there is a real illustrated parts breakdown like the one the parts folks at the dealership have access to? That would surely help explain, and show the relationship for, a lot of the small things not shown in the FSM...like those elastic straps. Note: These are NOT the straps that attach to the trunk side wall. I've no clue their purpose.

I sent Bob a PM but don't use an online photo service so here are the photos. I really appreciate his help. It got me in the door.

Richard Snipes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner and Outer Stops and TWO Straps Question 7 29 2019.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	98581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stops Passenger Side 7 29 2019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	98583  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, not having photos of the top mechanism before the collision work was done and not having a second reference vehicle, what I found is enough different from Bob's layout photos on the kappa site to cause me pause. I'm including two photos of the adjustment stops on my car. There is one inner and one outer on each side. The inner is the one to adjust for the door glass issue as I understand it.
Yes, you are correct. The only difference is that Bob's elastic straps are attached to the inner adjuster, when yours are attached to the outer. It's still the inner adjuster that you want. See the post below - the diagram is now gone from there, but I had saved it back then and now attached it here for you. As you can see this diagram looks like yours, with the elastic on the outer sides. (Not sure why Bob's is different.)

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...83/#post903684

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjuster.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	98587  
Black Sheep likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Could you check...?

TS,

I'd really be grateful if you could take a look at your car and see just which way the elastic straps are attached and how many of them are present, 2 or 4. In that first photo I'm pretty sure it's not factory done as the bottom strap is twisted several times instead of laying flat.

I also cannot figure out why the straps would be laying on the contact surface of that adjuster. What is the purpose of the elastic straps here anyway? I have not discovered anything in the FSM, although it may be something I am missing, not having read the three volumes cover to cover That's why I'd like to get my eyes on an original parts breakdown.

Just want to get this straightened out and correct so I can worry about my beloved tulip flaps. That certainly sounds worse, said that way or maybe I'm tired...

Thank you,
Richard
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
TS,

I'd really be grateful if you could take a look at your car and see just which way the elastic straps are attached and how many of them are present, 2 or 4. In that first photo I'm pretty sure it's not factory done as the bottom strap is twisted several times instead of laying flat.
OK, well I just looked at mine. Then I looked at Bob's photos more closely and mine matches his...

There are two straps (each side). One is attached to a metal loop bracket on the inner adjuster, and one to another loop bracket on the outer adjuster. So in other words, they're split across the adjusters.

Your's seems to have both straps and their respective brackets sandwiched together on the outer adjuster.

All this having been said, I don't think it matters one whit. Just adjust the inner adjuster as per the instructions and live your life!

(As for what they do, they come into play when the roof is raised, to keep things in position as it comes up. Thus, they move out of the way before any hoops touch the adjusters.)

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode