New turbo - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

New turbo

Installing larger turbo today (RPM-K04 upgraded turbo charger).will drive tuesday for about 50 miles or more than start programming over next few days.
raygun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
What's your goal? More boost (which you can do with $10 of parts from O'NapaZone), reduced lag, just more hp / tq? Did you install new injectors (and associated tune)?

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
What's your goal? More boost (which you can do with $10 of parts from O'NapaZone), reduced lag, just more hp / tq? Did you install new injectors (and associated tune)?
What is this $10 method of getting moar boost? Wastegate adjustment?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 PM

DO NOT drive a car with a new turbo and no tune for it!!!!!! The computer won't know you have a bigger turbo and I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty, you're going to pop your motor on a 50+ mile drive.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
DO NOT drive a car with a new turbo and no tune for it!!!!!! The computer won't know you have a bigger turbo and I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty, you're going to pop your motor on a 50+ mile drive.
He'll be fine, its a minor upgrade. The ecm still knows how much air is passing through the maf so it will lower the boost to say 12psi at full throttle to achieve similar power of the stock turbo at say 15psi.
Sting Ya and raygun like this.

1993 talon tsi awd - stock on the outside, modded on the inside
2008 solstice gxp - Solo Performance 3" mach exhaust + hiflow cat - dyno sheet
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Just to put things in order so some of you dont go off in the wrong directions,I drag race the car on 1/8 mile strips which are the most abundant in Virginia area,1/4 mile are few and farther away.
My gxp ,automatic and 24000 miles already has trifecta tune of which Im changing,solocat,lnf tubes intercooler,back bone brace,pilot tires and runs only sunoco 93 oct.
With the new turbo I SHOULD GAIN 30-50 WHP AND 38LBS of air flow,which should add up yo 358whp and 386 lbs of torq.
I will be adding stage 3 tune by rpm motor sports after breaking in new turbo.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
What is this $10 method of getting moar boost? Wastegate adjustment?
On many cars, you can put a restrictor inline with the reference line to the wastegate. Makes it see less boost. The MAP will still show the correct boost level in the intake, but the wastegate won't open as early. On my 300ZXTT, we used welding gas nozzles inserted directly into the vacuum line.

On the GXP, it might take some work to do that, and you'd need a tune to disable the silly "learn down."

Or, add a momentary, normally-closed switch inline with the ECM fuses, so you can easily reset the damn thing periodically. (Hack for the day. You're welcome.)

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 07-10-2018 at 12:30 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:25 PM

Garage
He should be OK if he babys it and avoids significant throttle openings before it gets tuned. But you are right, you can see huge amounts of antiknock activity from an untuned modded turbo, so all you need is a couple of missed signals to get engine damage.

Personally, I would recommend the whole trip with absolutely zero boost used.
Sting Ya likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
@wspohn I agree. My primary concern would be exceeding the capacity of the injectors; but, again, that really depends on how much boost we're talking about.

I'd just baby it until the tune is dialed in.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Garage
You don't have to worry about injectors on an LNF engine until you exceed 400 bhp by a decent amount. You are talking about the LNF, aren't you?

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster

Bill in BC
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Founding Member

He said a RPM-K04 which I am assuming is a large wheel upgrade to the OEM K04, so is about 350-360 BHP, this is based on my DDM tune with my K04 large wheel.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Garage
Sure, but HP to boost is a correlation, not some sort of magical causal formula. Fuel capacity to boost is a requirement. Too lean, pistons go "pop."

You can't just say "turbo x" makes "hp y" so "injector z" is fine. I can overboost my 2.4 out the wazoo and happily blow a motor, with the recommended injectors. (Ask me how I know.)

AFR is key here.

You can happily make really terrible whp with a massive charge and insufficient fuel. It can go sideways very, very fast.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Founding Member

Sure but he does not list any larger injectors, e85, etc, and is claiming 428 BHP out of a large wheel turbo.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Morning took car home last night and put 60 miles on it at normal speeds not exceeding 60 mph as suggested by scott at rpm motors.
Next to take trifecta tune out and put to stock,drive and down load info to start new program.Didnt have any engine knock as the trifecta tune was still in the car
raygun likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
Morning took car home last night and put 60 miles on it at normal speeds not exceeding 60 mph as suggested by scott at rpm motors.
Next to take trifecta tune out and put to stock,drive and down load info to start new program.Didnt have any engine knock as the trifecta tune was still in the car
Uh - why not just get the tune revised by Trifecta? Worked perfectly for me when I went to the same turbo you are using. A few logged pulls, send them back to Trifecta and get a personalized tune back that works.

BTW, I think that the modded big wheel K04 tops out it's envelope around 315 whp or 375-380 bhp and no increased fuel over stock injectors is needed. Unless you have even larger than normal wheels than the normal modded K04...

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode