Put a ding in my car closing the trunk! [Don't close trunk pushing on humps] - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Put a ding in my car closing the trunk! [Don't close trunk pushing on humps]

So, the dealership teaches me to close the trunk from the center and to the front - ultratight when brand-new.

I forgot and slammed it from one side, using the driver's side nacelle (the Mayan Temple) and my palm put a ding in the darned thing! My car is Mean yellow, so it really shows up.

I wish that sucker was carbon fiber, so it would be dingproof. That really bummed me out! I love the Sol's light weight, but I've got cans from Libby's that are thicker than the skin on my Sol!

Haha! But you can't pry me out of this car.... Fun, fun, fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

BTW - anybody have any experience with those "paintless dent removal" places?
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
So, the dealership teaches me to close the trunk from the center and to the front - ultratight when brand-new.

I forgot and slammed it from one side, using the driver's side nacelle (the Mayan Temple) and my palm put a ding in the darned thing! My car is Mean yellow, so it really shows up.

I wish that sucker was carbon fiber, so it would be dingproof. That really bummed me out! I love the Sol's light weight, but I've got cans from Libby's that are thicker than the skin on my Sol!

Haha! But you can't pry me out of this car.... Fun, fun, fun!
Not be picky, but the Mayan Temple is the structure in the trunk, i.e. the gas tank.
The humps are just humps.
I always close mine using the heel of my hand on the chrome ring for the buttress pin.
This seems to be the strongest part of the clam shell lid.

If all you have is a little dimple the dentless boys should be able to fix it, no problem.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
BTW - anybody have any experience with those "paintless dent removal" places?
my truck got some dings on the hood i was told the dent doctor really works good cant say what the results will be, but they can get 99% of dents out pretty cheap

MYGXP07
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoking View Post
Not be picky, but the Mayan Temple is the structure in the trunk, i.e. the gas tank.
The humps are just humps.
I always close mine using the heel of my hand on the chrome ring for the buttress pin.
This seems to be the strongest part of the clam shell lid.

If all you have is a little dimple the dentless boys should be able to fix it, no problem.
thats how I close mine too

MYGXP07
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Oh, sorry about that! Yeah, I mean the humps.

I don't know about closing from the grommets, just because they told me specifically to close the trunk from the center. This thing seems thin enough to become warped after a while if you close it from just one side.

Second poster: I think we have a dent doctor down the street. I'll check them out and tell you all what they say about my ding.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry about that! Yeah, I mean the humps.

I don't know about closing from the grommets, just because they told me specifically to close the trunk from the center. This thing seems thin enough to become warped after a while if you close it from just one side.

Second poster: I think we have a dent doctor down the street. I'll check them out and tell you all what they say about my ding.

You will learn that dealers probably know less about these cars than anyone else on the planet.

There is no need to slam the lid, Mine is almost two years old and this method has worked just fine.

The big thing to worry about is if it is windy out. Don't let the wind catch it when it is up or it can really screw things up.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave clancy View Post
my truck got some dings on the hood i was told the dent doctor really works good cant say what the results will be, but they can get 99% of dents out pretty cheap
My buddy used to work for Dent Wizard(I assume similar to dent dr) and they were pretty good at removing dings.

Envious, Premium Package, Power Package, Convenience Package. AC, Polished Wheels, LTD Slip

GM CAI, Borla Performance Muffler, 3M Clear Bra, Kappashield, Lil Chromies, 9 in Stubby, WERKS - ECM Retune, 18 In O.Z. Ultralegger Rims

Delivered 2/27/06!

Name: Green Goblin
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, my dealer had to look stuff up before telling me how to close the trunk!

Mine is really stiff and tight. I can't close it without slamming it! But it's getting easier with time, so I'm hoping it'll loosen up. I'd rather have it tight when new than sloppy for the rest of my ownership. And it does seem like this car just keeps getting better and better with break-in!

On a side note, I run only Super Unleaded pump gas right now, and I'm way beating the listed fuel mileage! I'm getting over 29 miles per gallon on the stocker setup. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Texas is really, really flat where I live, so maybe that explains it.

I haven't had a problem with the wind when I'm raising the top, but I bet the sucker can get racked and bound pretty easily. It's not the most solid top mechanism I've ever seen -- it's even clobbered me a time or two when I'm leaning forward and dropping the top!

Quote:
You will learn that dealers probably know less about these cars than anyone else on the planet.

There is no need to slam the lid, Mine is almost two years old and this method has worked just fine.

The big thing to worry about is if it is windy out. Don't let the wind catch it when it is up or it can really screw things up.

Last edited by Charley; 02-09-2008 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Garage
Another thing to be aware of. The Trunk closes a lot easier when the top is pressed down into the trunk fully. If it isn't, the trunk will twist, and take a lot more effort to close.

Check out Western Canada Kappa Club on Facebook !

My Garage https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/g...ehicle_id=1132
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

You're right. I've had to deal with that too.

I do that, but it's like I get air pressure at the last six inches. Strange, since there are huge drain holes in the trunk! This car has a very elaborate gutter system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Oka View Post
Another thing to be aware of. The Trunk closes a lot easier when the top is pressed down into the trunk fully. If it isn't, the trunk will twist, and take a lot more effort to close.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
You're right. I've had to deal with that too.

I do that, but it's like I get air pressure at the last six inches. Strange, since there are huge drain holes in the trunk! This car has a very elaborate gutter system.
I had that same issue. Seemed like I was trying to close a tupperware container by slamming it shut. I always checked to make sure the top was down fully.. but still this problem.

I took it to the dealership and they realigned the trunk for me, and it's close much easier ever since.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I need to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhammon View Post
I had that same issue. Seemed like I was trying to close a tupperware container by slamming it shut. I always checked to make sure the top was down fully.. but still this problem.

I took it to the dealership and they realigned the trunk for me, and it's close much easier ever since.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I always close mine in this manner also.

Lenny

2007 N/A Aggressive. LSD, AC, ABS, Auto, Premium package. Delivered 04/23/2007

In a truly free country, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be the name of a convenience store, not a federal agency.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Retired Free Range Sols

I've never closed mine with a hand pushing down anywhere-get within 12" or so from closing and give it a fling-have it by the protected area under the buttresses and let 'er fly. Closes every time. (Just remember to let go on the down swing )

06 NA...was 106k miles, do-over at 12k
06 NA...56k miles...Black today, black tomorrow?
01 Aztek GT...102k miles...Black and loaded. Best non-Solstice ever!

Team Solstice 2006 & 2006

Life is good with a pair of Sols in the garage.

Runs/Meets in '06:13 '07:13 '08:7 '09:9 '10:9 '11:6 '12:4 '13:3 '14:2 '15:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode