Put a ding in my car closing the trunk! [Don't close trunk pushing on humps] - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 03:25 PM

I did the same thing to my first Solstice. Most dealers have someone come into their used car lot once a week or so that will do the paintless dent repair. I went to the local dealer, not even where I bought the car, and he did a great job pulling it out. I think it cost me $50 but taught me a lesson and I never push on the humps. Good Luck!

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 PM

I think we need a STICKY with a VIDEO of the proper/different ways to close the trunk.

Previous #14 Owner - "Bumble" / Previous(crashed) 08 GXP - "Bruiser"
----
CNY Kappa Club Event Calendar 2011
į KAPPA REGISTRY į
----
* attendee: 2010 NASSM | SMMM8 *
----
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 PM

I used this method and it worked......took about 90% of the dent out, no problem on the paint. (your results may vary....)

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Holy cow. Never heard of that. You know that makes me want to go put a big dent in my car just so I can try it! Well, maybe not.

I'm assuming on that van, the dent was in the plastic cover? Would it really pull a dent that big out of metal???

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/Chromies/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And UAW 435 workers
2007 Xterra 4x4/1996 Viper GTS/1995 Z28 6 speed in the driveway now
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Been closing my trunk from the chrome ring since day 1 and have had no problems at all.

The trunk has also not been aligned correctly since day 1 and when I did take it in to fix they had it for 2 days and when i got it back, it was misaligned on the other side lol so oh well.

2008 Deep GXP Manual.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Garage
Seems this has been mentioned before, but the lid can be closed with the pressure placed over the transverse reinforcing rib below the forward edge of the lid...that beam thing. Works for me.

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 PM

I'm grateful to whoever first discovered that oysters are edible, AND to whoever discovered the benefit of opening the little spring-loaded hatch when closing the trunk.

MEMORABLE PERMAGRINS SINCE 1954
Austin Healey 100-4, Triumph TR2A, MGTF, Devin Panhard (!!), Jaguar XK120, Buick GN rocketship ...and just sold my white '07 Solstice NA bought as a new car in 2010. Interestingly, that modern and comfortable roadster would probably whip any of the cars I raced 50 years ago. Well, it's been fun - and thanks for the help!
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Dent on rear hump

I too have a dent in mine now also,from closing the trunk.I can't believe how thin it is.I am one pissed off dude.........
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Founding Member

Paintless Dent Repair - Southern Maine York and Cumberland Counties - IDR

The above Guy is a Dent Doctor Surgeon when it comes to dings and dents. Had 4, all gone, came to my home, $90 Bucks. Looks like 2006 again. Gave him a ten dollar tip. Can't even tell at all.

AMAZING

Mitch
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
BTW - anybody have any experience with those "paintless dent removal" places?
My new Cadillac CTS got caught in a horrible hail storm in west Texas last summer. Being a picky sort, i insisted it be repaired at the Cadillac dealer where I bought the car. They bring in paintless dent removal guys when appropriate. The bill said over $5000 of the $8500 repair bill went to them. The results are great and have remained so for over 9 months, so I guess they did their job. I would definitely recommend a qualified paintles repair guy.
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep-GXP View Post
Been closing my trunk from the chrome ring since day 1 and have had no problems at all.
Ditto...No problems whatsoever. Never touch the paint just the buttress chrome ring. Like closing your doors...think CHROME.

Mysterious 2007 N/A 2.4. "DarkSol" is the name.

Mods: Billet front grille.
GM mud flaps (front only)
Carolina Custom armrest pads
ASAP Signs & Graphics, Back up Lite Covers
Carbon fiber license plate frame
Solo Mach Split Duals for N/A with Resonator (Amazing Sound! DarkSol now has DeepSol's voice)
GM Cold Air Induction hardware with AEM Dry Cone Filter
Norm's Fiberglass Split Dual Rear Fascia

Lovin' AZ

PONTIAC: "We Used to Build Excitement! Now We Build Nothing"....

Last edited by AZDarkSol; 03-21-2010 at 12:08 PM.
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDarkSol View Post
Ditto...No problems whatsoever. Never touch the paint just the buttress chrome ring. Like closing your doors...think CHROME.
That's probably correct if the top is down and the spring-loaded door is held open. Otherwise, there's risk of distortion due to non-symmetrical loads.

But when the top is up, we should propel the lid down smartly - then remove your hand before it hits the latch.

I don't know how robust that latch is...
There's this horrible image in my mind of the trunk opening at high speed. Hopefully there's some sort of interlock that prevents electrical release when moving.

MEMORABLE PERMAGRINS SINCE 1954
Austin Healey 100-4, Triumph TR2A, MGTF, Devin Panhard (!!), Jaguar XK120, Buick GN rocketship ...and just sold my white '07 Solstice NA bought as a new car in 2010. Interestingly, that modern and comfortable roadster would probably whip any of the cars I raced 50 years ago. Well, it's been fun - and thanks for the help!
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Garage
Ill stick this in general for a while and probably move to problems/solutions forum in future.

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
DES

always close by the chrome cover on the left or right sides.
and always force the top into the trunk first prior to closing.
on my new top it seems like a tighter fit than my old top but I assume because its new.
have 40,000 on my car and no dents or dings... little paint chip or two on the front due to road rocks or whatever but besides that it all looks good.
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM

In the years gone by here, I had never heard of dinging the deck lid by closing it. I personally have always closed mine where the protective film and Buttress hook-up is, just to hide any hand prints.
Theres a lot worse thing to be very aware of! When opening the deck lid, make sure that the wind never catches that sucker. The Hinges / Torsion rod set-up is as flimsy as it gets! I currently have a sprung deck lid. I had to undo the torsion rods altogether after this occurred, as bumps on the top rear fascia, appeared within an hour after untightening the four deck bolts to realign the lid. I have a ding now as a result of slamming the deck lid after it had been pulled backwards by the wind & I didn't realize it was severley screwed up! If this happens to any of you, expect to put it in a body shop or with any luck, your a gearhead and can remove the rear fascia after you either, buy all the components to re-build the hinge set-up and put it on from behind the car (Rear Fascia Off)
or do like I did, watch Ebay for a tested used entire set-up that was removed in one peice by a reputable auto dismantler. Theres one on there now by a guy I have dealt with in the past and found he has 100% feedback also. I have all the parts, 20 push-pins, basic 1/4 inch drive ratchet w/sockets and the hinge / torsion garbage which I am going to stabilize after installation, so it can't open ever again to the Outer Limits!

Last edited by solsticeclampe; 04-25-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode