Put a ding in my car closing the trunk! [Don't close trunk pushing on humps] - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM

hi every one, i am new in this forum, well no advice at this point of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 AM

My 2006 earned a dent early in life. I now ensure the top is completely collapsed down into the trunk. I then hook my finger in the trunk latch and with a crisp swing downward, let it fly. It closes completely every time and never requires a hand pressing down on the trunk lid. I lift up and set down the top/trunk from both sides of the car so no worries about creating an imbalance with the trunk lid adjustments.
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4z View Post
I was shown a trick by jrsno1fan that really works if you are in the "closing from the side" crowd. Works when closing with top down. Before closing the trunk lid, with your right hand (at your preferred location), take your left hand and open the springed flap in the silver stripe area. Make sure your left hand is clear of the trunk lid and then close the trunk lid with your right hand. The opening due to the little flap opening lets the air out of the trunk as the lid closes, requiring a lot less force! Thanks jrsno1fan
I would like to try this method; but I don't know what is being referenced in the above as the "springed flap in the silver stripe area"...would be very appreciative if someone can help me with this, as it always takes me 2 or 3 tries to get the trunk shut!
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Garage
Sure. Look at the tulip panel (the silver stripe thing) when you lift out the convertible top...the flaps that spring up by themselves are the ones he's addressing. They can be lifted by the back edge at any time...the springs holding it down are only moderately strong and can be lifted with no problem.

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVerde View Post
Sure. Look at the tulip panel (the silver stripe thing) when you lift out the convertible top...the flaps that spring up by themselves are the ones he's addressing. They can be lifted by the back edge at any time...the springs holding it down are only moderately strong and can be lifted with no problem.
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am still not getting it - what is the tulip panel and where are the flaps that spring up by themselves? Sorry to be dense but I am a newbie Solstice owner and not familiar with the jargon or the layout yet. Thanks for bearing with me.
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am still not getting it - what is the tulip panel and where are the flaps that spring up by themselves? Sorry to be dense but I am a newbie Solstice owner and not familiar with the jargon or the layout yet. Thanks for bearing with me.
Tulip Panel in silver:

Flap:

Jim

2008 Sky Redline
If your goal in life is to stir the pot, be careful, you may find the pot stirring you!
Tiny Mods:
Trifecta Tune, KappaSphere Billet Grill, KappaRack, Painted Calipers, Engine Cover, DDM Backbone, Vert Top Cover, FlySwatter, Short Antenna, Painted Visors
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Tulip Panel in silver:

Flap:

Jim
Man the sky's are pointy
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_L View Post
Man the sky's are pointy
Yup!

Jim

2008 Sky Redline
If your goal in life is to stir the pot, be careful, you may find the pot stirring you!
Tiny Mods:
Trifecta Tune, KappaSphere Billet Grill, KappaRack, Painted Calipers, Engine Cover, DDM Backbone, Vert Top Cover, FlySwatter, Short Antenna, Painted Visors
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_L View Post
Man the sky's are pointy
That's because they are always happy to see the ladies.
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM

If you look behind the trunk lining right behind to escape t handle you will see the trunk vent. Cut a hole in trunk lining to match the grill of the trunk vent. Make some kind of grill to cover the hole in trunk lining. Make closing the trunk easy

LEAD,FOLLOW,-Or get out of my way! RED ONE / thomas paine
NASSOA Officially Recognized by GM
Founding Member #99
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Go to just about any auto parts store. They sell a $20.00 kit that works just great taking out small dents. This kit just saved me about 500.00.
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM

It's called "Pop-A-Dent"
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Hi, my name is Holly and I am a new proud owner of my 2006 Black Solstice. and I am new to this club so I apologize if I am not very good at this, I live in West Palm Beach, and I am a prior RX=7, and presently still own my Pontiac 1986 Fiero, but anyways I love my new car and appreciate any tips and info on my new Pontiac.
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Welcome Holly, there's a wealth of information here you can search on, but for now just get out and drive!

07 GXP - Trifectatated Hahn S20G - carpe diem incoronatus
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyStarks View Post
Hi, my name is Holly and I am a new proud owner of my 2006 Black Solstice. and I am new to this club so I apologize if I am not very good at this, I live in West Palm Beach, and I am a prior RX=7, and presently still own my Pontiac 1986 Fiero, but anyways I love my new car and appreciate any tips and info on my new Pontiac.
Welcome! Lotsa current Sol owners are also current Fiero owners! Just look around the forum.

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode