Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Reasonable priced service manuals in 2019?

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  mazeroth 
#1 ·
I've been looking casually for service/repair manuals for some time. I haven't be willing to commit the $ to purchase the set. Over the past 1-1/2 years I seem to remember $250+ for the set. Well, I'm having some car issues that may warrant the purchase and now the cheapest I can find is HelmInc for $427 out the door. Capitalism is great but what the $%^& happened. Is there another cheaper source to get these OEM manuals? Also the manuals on Helm are qty. 2 vs. qty. 3 books I've seen on Ebay. How does that work? Are there 2 different sets? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
The manuals came from Helm in 2- or 3-volume sets depending on the year, the car, and when they were published.

I haven't looked at Helm lately, but if the price has gone up it is because they ran through the original print run(s) and are now printing in shorter runs which are more expensive per unit printed. They may even be printing them on demand.

Edit: I just checked Helm's website and the manuals are still $300 except for the '07 which is $335.

The '08 manual with tax and shipping is $341.69, so I don't know where you saw $427.

#8 ·
I filled out the online info. to the point of purchase and it came out to $427+. Maybe the price difference is the zip code.
$335 for the manuals
$6.75 handling
$52.82 shipping
$32.56 taxes.

Thanks for putting yourself out there like that, but anything close to that $ is too rich for me at this point. If you're semi familiar with my posts, I'm a weekend warrior usually because I like the challenge. Most of the time I can hold my own thanks to this site. If I get desperate, I may have to reconsider. I do appreciate yours and every ones contributions to this site...

#10 · (Edited)
I filled out the online info. to the point of purchase and it came out to $427+. Maybe the price difference is the zip code......
Thanks for putting yourself out there like that, but anything close to that $ is too rich for me at this point. If you're semi familiar with my posts, I'm a weekend warrior usually because I like the challenge. Most of the time I can hold my own thanks to this site. If I get desperate, I may have to reconsider. I do appreciate yours and every ones contributions to this site...
Taxes and shipping. It was an impulse that it turns out wouldn't have worked anyway.

I guess it is an obsession, but I buy a set of manuals for every vehicle I own. Once I've spent thousands, a few more hundreds doesn't seem like much, and i really like access to the information. I actually own three sets of manuals for the Skys: an '06 because the '07 wasn't published when I got the first car, an '07 and an'08 to go with the cars. I find the differences between them quite interesting.

I THINK the manuals are available to be downloaded on-line (at least I found and posted that once-upon-a-time)
Bill
There is a version of service manual on line somewhere, but it isn't the same as the official one from Helm.
For the price it may be worth looking for, but I haven't used it so I can't say how good it is.

#12 ·
Good day, I purchased a manual set for my 2008 GXP, and they sent me only 2 of the 3 manuals, and 2 more manuals for a car I do not even have. I paid FULL price, and shipping and taxes into Canada. I had to call up the company (the one noted here in this discussion) and kindly asked for them to send me manual 3 -- perfectly fine right? I was told NO LONGER AVAILABLE so they refunded my money. but I still am out the shipping and costs for crossing the broader. I have two manuals but no volume 3 -- anyone have volume 3 they would like to share for a 2008 GXP solstice? I found the whole experience a very expensive lesson.

- charles

#13 ·
That is really strange. First that you had a problem with Helm as they are generally very good. Second, the 2008 service manual is still listed as "In Stock" on their website.

Just because I am curious, what other car did they send manuals for?

#14 ·
The other manuals were for an 2010 HHR -=- whatever this is, I think an SUV perhaps. I called them voice as soon as I received the very heavy and expensive to ship box, and they told me clearly and multiple times I could get the 3rd volume as they are not available. I was shocked at this as I also noted why is it on the web/site they said .. sorry nothing they can do. I then said you have to pay shipping back for the manuals, as I did not receive what I purchased, they just said we will refund you. but that was done -- took 2 weeks but was done, but then I had to pay the FED ex shipping and customs charges -- and I do not have a complete set missing volume 3 - and have these two extra ones to a car I do not even own.

was a wonderful experience -- I found dealing with them not a good experience they did not even give me a reason why I could not get the 3rd volume just said not available. I guess that is a reason not available but this really did not provide me what I of course purchased.

if they are still advertising it, why then did they not send me my 3rd volume since I already paid for it!! if this is still available this makes then even worse in my opinion -- because now I am out the cost of shipping / customs / taxes and have a company who is trying to sell more --but yet cannot complete my set I paid for in full. not right.

regards
Charles

#15 ·
Good afternoon, JUST FYI -- I just called Helm Inc again and they told me that they do not have the manuals, that the website is wrong and will remove it. interesting when I purchased the set I paid 200.00 u.s. dollars in early August 1st when I ordered the set, and now it is shows 300.00 dollars yet they do not have any. interesting they raised the price on a set they do not have!! ok that sounds like a good idea.

essentially I am screwed for the 3rd volume. you know I reached out to many a ADVERTISER OF THIS set on ebay, and as expected no one will sell me one volume all tell me it is useless to sell one as it makes the other worthless -- well stupid me.

regards-
Charles

#16 ·
Even more strange. I don't ever remember seeing a set for $200, they have been $300 almost for forever, it seems.

Finding only the third volume is definitely a long shot, but it was worth trying in case someone had a partially damaged set, so not really stupid.

The only bright side I can see is that you got 2/3 of a set for well under half price (I am guessing about $100 for shipping and customs), and you might be able to recoup that by selling the HHR manuals.
Helm is currently selling that set for $300 also, so you can make someone a good deal and get your money back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.