RPOs and radios: A tale of woe - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
RPOs and radios: A tale of woe

I spent a few hours pulling the Kenwood touch-screen radio out of my car last week and installing the '09 factory radio I bought off a list member a few months ago into my '08 car. I was hoping for the satisfaction @rob the elder achieved doing the same on the Green Dragon. After spending another 2.5 hours at the dealer today I have learned that this stereo will not work on my '08... no way.... no how.

The tech tried numerous times to unlock and synch the stereo to my car. Finally after working over the phone with a tech at GM they determined the RPO code for my car and the car it came out of won't allow it. There is no work-around.

My radio RPO is US9, this stereo only works with RPO# UUI, which was new in '09.

All the plugs fit. After installing the radio the screen powered up showing time and "LOCKED", the chimes and turn signal "tick-tock" worked (although louder due to the internal amp). So it's not that different.

I'm bummed. The navigation screen on the Kenwood I took out leaves a lot to be desired. The screen for nav and radio controls is unreadable with the top down on a sunny day.

Several members list radios for sale. I'll be in touch soon.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains

Last edited by CycleCat; 08-07-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:34 PM

I have a 2010 USB head unit in my early 2008 (July 2007 build) Sky. Removed original, installed 2010, turned on car, turned on tunes.

The one caveat is that the USB unit had never been installed in a car before, so it wasn't locked to a VIN (or whatever happens). But as far as 2009+ head OEM head units not working in older Kappas: Poppycock.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This unit had been in another car and was locked to the VIN but I expected them to be able to override it. Maybe it is poppycock but this GM certified tech and the one he worked with over the phone couldn't make it work. If anyone can get me in touch with someone who really knows how to make it work, I'd appreciate it.

Chris

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can remove the eprom chip in the radio and replace it with a new/clean one. It will then act as an unprogrammed radio and 'learn itself' to your car.

I'll find the info if you decide you want to try.

UPDATE: Or pay @yevgenievich to do it for you (I just saw his post here: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...3/#post2192377 )
rob the elder likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 08-07-2019 at 08:25 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have the same radio in my 07. Worked out of the box

Try to reset it with our scan tool. Alternative is get a refurbished G6 or G8 radio which is what I have in the Dragon. When you come up next time lets give it a go

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rob, I'd love to try the tech II. That was my plan this last weekeend and then I ended up not being able to come up. When is the next garage day (other than this weekend. I'm on pet duty while Caroline is gone).

Soup, I'm good with a soldering iron but that may be above my pay grade. I may have to get yevgenievich to fix it. I was looking at what he has for sale but I'd like to use this higher power unit if possible.

Chris

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This may be a case of the official GM software saying "you can't get there from here" but in reality, if you ignore the experts, there is a hole in the fence that all the locals know about.

Chris

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 AM

Garage
I put a UUI in my 2006 Solstice. My service advisor at the dealer I go to got the techII and set it up for my VIN in about 15 minutes for free
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygriff View Post
I put a UUI in my 2006 Solstice.
Was it new or out of another vehicle?

Again, it may be a case of the tech at my dealership needing to forget using the factory software and just go to the basics and use the tech II.

Chris

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
Was it new or out of another vehicle?

Again, it may be a case of the tech at my dealership needing to forget using the factory software and just go to the basics and use the tech II.
I think that new/used is the key.

Factory software and Tech2 isn't an either/or. While I haven't tried this specific operation I have done a lot with the Tech2, and most things work in a similar manner.
Keep in mind that "Tech2" can also refer to emulation software, so you don't actually have to have the device itself. The dealership had to use one of the other and functionally they are 100% the same thing.
Basically, there is a selection of things that can be done with a Tech2, beyond which it is used in what is called pass-through mode to connect to GM's TIS2WEB for access to the program files.
Assuming the radio works like other things in the car, the Tech2 can be used to set it up, adjust it, and find out what might be wrong with it, but it cannot program it. It also cannot, on its own, do things that were determined to require intervention above the technician level.
It is impossible to set up any module in a car if that car was not originally programmed to accept that module. For most things you go to a list of available options and select the ones you want. Fortunately a new radio will work without being set up, but a used one has to go through the process to un-pair it with the original vehicle. The problem is that this radio is not one of the available options for the car, even in the source files at GM.
The only way around that would be to select a different year of car, one that the radio was available for, but that is unlikely to work in the first place, and could have unintended (and unpleasant) consequences in other areas.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 08-08-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
It is impossible to set up any module in a car if that car was not originally programmed to accept that module.
I think that is the gist of what the technician was telling me yesterday.

OTOH, this isn't a totally foreign module... it's a radio. A different radio but still a radio. Maybe replacing the eeprom is going to be my only option.

Chris

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:49 AM

My car, a 2008 Solstice, came without Monsoon. I put in a new ex-factory 2009 Sky USB Monsoon radio and it worked straight off.

I think that's a pretty big 'programming' gap (year, car model, radio model and Monsoon) and yet it worked.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
My UUI came out of a 2009 Cobalt. I had the 6 disk CD with Monsoon in my 2006 (still have it in the basement).

My thread:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-radio-125201/

As noted earlier, my service advisor (not even a tech) got it up and running in 15 minutes using a TechII. No charge
CycleCat likes this.

Last edited by tygriff; 08-08-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygriff View Post
My UUI came out of a 2009 Cobalt. I had the 6 disk CD with Monsoon in my 2006 (still have it in the basement).

My thread:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-radio-125201/

As noted earlier, my service advisor (not even a tech) got it up and running in 15 minutes using a TechII. No charge
There are differences, some subtle, and some not, between years and trim packages. A 2006 and a 2008 may not react the same way.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:55 PM

I had a gm tech try working using non tech 2 software that he usually uses and was having issue with the newer radio because it was not listed in the drop down and rpo codes. I was trying to do more than vin relearn so I left it at that. However aftermarket tech2 look alike did it just fine and probably tech 2 could as well. My offer to try swapping empty eeprom to that radio or one of the other stokers still stands. The problem is I am not sure if blank eeprom really makes the usb radio work like the earlier ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode