RPOs and radios: A tale of woe - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
I had a gm tech try working using non tech 2 software that he usually uses and was having issue with the newer radio because it was not listed in the drop down and rpo codes.
That's exactly the problem he was having. The GM software was presenting him with limited menus based on the RPO codes and radio part number. It didn't give him the options he needed. After two hours the guy was super frustrated and I didn't want to push him to throw away what he was trying and switch to the more generic option using the Tech II so I just let it go. It's a case of the software being too smart for its own good. It needs a dumber machine that will just do what you tell it to do without fighting back.

I'm buying another radio from Yevgenievich with a fresh eeprom that I am going to try. I'll pop this radio back in next time I make it to one of Rob's garage days in Denver and see if we can get it working. We have a club member who is a long-time GM tech and really good with the Tech II. And I will be quite experienced swapping radios once this is all done!
rob the elder likes this.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the replacement stereo from Yevgenievich installed today. It powered up, tuned and saved stations, all the buttons do what they should. But I have no sound from the radio. No music, no blinker tick-tock, no seat belt chime. Nothing. I checked BCM fuse #6 to the amp. It's good.

All the balance/fade is balanced to the middle and I dialed the volume from min to max and back. Maybe the radio is bad. I'm stumped.

Chris

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I attached a photo of the radio on, showing stations tuned in and saved as presets. The other photo is with the radio off, only showing the clock and a dot on the left. I don't know if the dot is normal.

It seems to be working perfectly normal, steering wheel controls work, just no tunes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190817_162543.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	623.4 KB
ID:	98893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190817_162537.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	776.7 KB
ID:	98895  

Chris

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:15 PM

Connector X1 Pin 3 js the output from the radio that turns on the amplifier. I would check to see if there is power there, and that the pin is properly seated in the shell.
Connector X1 Pin 15 is the output from the radio that mutes the amplifier, although it shouldn't mute the chimes and tic-toc. You could check that it goes on and off when the mute button is pushed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-11-234-5 Radio Connectors.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	995.6 KB
ID:	98897   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-08-005 Radio Wiring.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	928.8 KB
ID:	98899  

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Connector X1 Pin 3 js the output from the radio that turns on the amplifier. I would check to see if there is power there, and that the pin is properly seated in the shell.
Connector X1 Pin 15 is the output from the radio that mutes the amplifier, although it shouldn't mute the chimes and tic-toc. You could check that it goes on and off when the mute button is pushed.
Thanks, John! You are always so helpful with the electrical stuff!

I pulled the plugs and checked that all the pins are straight. When I hit the mute on the steering wheel the stereo shows on the display that it is muted/unmuted. I'm having a hard time reading that second photo. I'll try to check those pins in the morning. I'm done with this beeyotch for today.

Do I need to check the output from the back of the radio, or the X1 plug?

Chris

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
Thanks, John! You are always so helpful with the electrical stuff!

I pulled the plugs and checked that all the pins are straight. When I hit the mute on the steering wheel the stereo shows on the display that it is muted/unmuted. I'm having a hard time reading that second photo. I'll try to check those pins in the morning. I'm done with this beeyotch for today.

Do I need to check the output from the back of the radio, or the X1 plug?
You're always welcome. Sorry it isn't more clear.

I think you are going to have to go into the back of the connector so that you can check it while it is plugged into the radio.

The connector pin map is really all you need, the schematic is just to reinforce the pin labels.

John
Lexington, KY
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The connector pin map is really all you need, the schematic is just to reinforce the pin labels.
So that pin map is the orientation looking at the front of the plug? I need to reverse it when looking from the back?

Does the amp power ALL the speakers or just the sub? I'm getting nothing from any speaker.

Chris

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:55 PM

A bit at a loss, but possible that it go damaged unintentionally by me. I have swapped couple of chips back and forth on my other radio without issues but something might have happened to that one. Vehicle side is likely to be fine as the other radio had all the chimes working. Sent a refund.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
A bit at a loss, but possible that it go damaged unintentionally by me. I have swapped couple of chips back and forth on my other radio without issues but something might have happened to that one. Vehicle side is likely to be fine as the other radio had all the chimes working. Sent a refund.
Thanks, man. I didn't expect that. The radio seemed intact after shipping. I'll probably just put the first one back in and try to get to someone with a Tech II ASAP. I live in a small town and there are only a few shops that have them.

Chris

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
So that pin map is the orientation looking at the front of the plug? I need to reverse it when looking from the back?

Does the amp power ALL the speakers or just the sub? I'm getting nothing from any speaker.
Yes. Yes

Yes, all of the speakers, including the sub.

John
Lexington, KY
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Today, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The only shop in town that has a Tech II couldn't get me in for several weeks. With summer dwindling away, I didn't want to be without my music any longer. I found a refurbished USB type stereo on eBay and installed it yesterday. It powered up and made music the instant it was turned on! I even got a free XM radio trial period! No programming needed. Same as the UUI stereo I originally tried.

I'll still try to unlock the first stereo... just to prove it can be done. But for now, this was the path of least resistance and I have music again!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode