Seafoam? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Seafoam?

Thinking about treating gas oil and cleaning spray for intake. Here a lot about Seafoam. Is this the best for all this or is there better treatments for those things. I watched YouTube and they had nothing but great things about it. People swearing on this stuff. But I trust in this forum. So please let me know what you think. Money for this is no issue like if something is $20 a bottle or its $40 a bottle prefer to have the best for my baby. Her name is Christiana. 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP black Body perfect. Now engine is nice after $2k. Top in good shape a little things wrong not time for a new one yet. 6.2 inch radio going in with DVD and back up cam. 1100 W 5 channel amp. 19inch rims in back super wide 18 in front. Awesome rims and really wide. My macanic had to take to diff shop to put tire on his stuff could not do. Oil change reset pressure back to 100%. Took off trac and esc think thats it. But think it's called something elsse but gives you full control of car you hold down traction control button till it turns both off. So what should i do next if all stays well. The ground is off battery is that bad think macanic left it off by mistake should i put back on? Can this cause damage to car? Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 PM

I have used sea foam in my oil and use Marvel Mystery Oil in the gasoline. I don't have anything with a carburetor on it, but people pour sea foam into the carburetor at high rpms and it seems to break up some of the yuk in the cylinders and valves (but then so will pouring water into the carb at high rpms...)

Bill
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:52 AM

I recall that for our direct injection engines Seafoam is not recommended, from way back when these cars were new.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
We just had a member lose his motor due to an apparent injector plugging event

Personally I would not put anything into the intake. The risk of damage is too great for a perhaps very minor cleaning

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:54 AM

I've used Seafoam for years in all my engines from my vehicles , tractors , lawn equipment with no issues I've never had any carburetor or injection problems and everything is always easy to start . Another benefit is that it keeps fuel fresh for up to 2 years all my engines get a shot of this before they are put away for the winter . I wonder who recommended not using this in a direct injection engine GM maybe because they want you to buy their overpriced cleaner who is made by an outside supplier ? If you go on Seafoam's website they have a video that shows you how to clean your valves . This stuff may not be the latest "techie" find but for me it works .
Kevin Talley likes this.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:36 AM

Okay, a little bit of information you may need. Items like fuel injection service and Seafoam do absolutely nothing for a Direct Inject motor. Gasoline NEVER touches the valves. NEVER do a fuel induction service as this will ruin the bearings in your turbo. I don't even advise using Techron as I think that led to the failure of my HPFP. If you want clean valves, take it to a shop and have them blasted....it's about the only thing that works. Trust this from a guy that has 85k on his....I've learned more and experienced more then most have here because they don't have the same mileage that I do...So take my advice for what it's worth.
wspohn likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
berrymans works.Ive seen test that show seafoam doing squat. but what ever you use do not use lucas. and do not use a oil or oil type of substance. oil does not burn it just cakes on and stays there. ( the lucas is a oil type of junk) ..
gumout rogaine also works. I use berrymans and have for years on the wifes car,kids car ,my car. the lucas will throw codes...Ive seen it more than once.probably coats the O2 sensor with crap. Ive seen it cake up on the backs of the intake valves in very short time frame, and I tried many different cleaners to try to dissolve it.nothing will attack the lucas when it has caked up and cooked.NOTHING!!! abrasive blasting was the only way to get it off.It could not even be chizzeled off!!! berrymans has 2 products,one is stronger than the other. wally world has the cheeper berrymans for about $3~$4.woks great. techron is also good, but I dont know if they have keep up like they should of. when we were pulling our camper I would pour a can of berrymans in, and better mpg as well as a lot better pulling power with the wifes honda element 4 cylinder ( 2.4 vtec). also berrymans have been making carb/fuel system for probably longer than any other company. they are not a relabeler for somebody elsed snake oil .I knew a girl whoose dad worked for them,every year when he came down he would bring a case and hand out samples.that was 40 years ago.Ive tried quite a few and they always seem to work best.they also make carb/parts cleaner for cleaning parts in the gallon can with a basket in it.it's some wicked stuff....crap I didnt test it on the lucas caled valves...musta forgot about it.I never liked fouling my carb cleaner with any thing else so the carbs always come out looking new.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
berrymans works.Ive seen test that show seafoam doing squat. but what ever you use do not use lucas. and do not use a oil or oil type of substance. oil does not burn it just cakes on and stays there. ( the lucas is a oil type of junk) ..
gumout rogaine also works. I use berrymans and have for years on the wifes car,kids car ,my car. the lucas will throw codes...Ive seen it more than once.probably coats the O2 sensor with crap. Ive seen it cake up on the backs of the intake valves in very short time frame, and I tried many different cleaners to try to dissolve it.nothing will attack the lucas when it has caked up and cooked.NOTHING!!! abrasive blasting was the only way to get it off.It could not even be chizzeled off!!! berrymans has 2 products,one is stronger than the other. wally world has the cheeper berrymans for about $3~$4.woks great. techron is also good, but I dont know if they have keep up like they should of. when we were pulling our camper I would pour a can of berrymans in, and better mpg as well as a lot better pulling power with the wifes honda element 4 cylinder ( 2.4 vtec). also berrymans have been making carb/fuel system for probably longer than any other company. they are not a relabeler for somebody elsed snake oil .I knew a girl whoose dad worked for them,every year when he came down he would bring a case and hand out samples.that was 40 years ago.Ive tried quite a few and they always seem to work best.they also make carb/parts cleaner for cleaning parts in the gallon can with a basket in it.it's some wicked stuff....crap I didnt test it on the lucas caled valves...musta forgot about it.I never liked fouling my carb cleaner with any thing else so the carbs always come out looking new.
Did you read ANY of my post? NOTHING TOUCHES THE VALVES IN A DI MOTOR. Therefore, anything you buy that claims in cleans valves is snakeoil...and will probably destroy your turbo bearings. Just a warning. But go ahead. This subject has been discussed adnauseam. There is no fuel that touches the valves. The only thing touching the valves is air and oil from the PCV valve. If you introduce anything that cleans carbon deposits, it destroys your turbo bearings. And don't I wouldn't use Techron...It does nothing but cleans your injectors and I think it destroyed my HPFP bladder because it's very "sticky" stuff. Clear?

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:40 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
the OP did not say DI,if he did I musta missed it.sorry if I missed the DI portion. also many people thing by increasing the dosage they will get better cleaning faster, not true.that i could see doing more harm than good on any engine or turbo. I dont think there is a product out there that will hurt MY turbo bearings.( my car isant turbo) but yes there are some that are not good for squat execpt for oiling your squeeky snake.
Kevin Talley likes this.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
the OP did not say DI,if he did I musta missed it.sorry if I missed the DI portion. also many people thing by increasing the dosage they will get better cleaning faster, not true.that i could see doing more harm than good on any engine or turbo. I dont think there is a product out there that will hurt MY turbo bearings.( my car isant turbo) but yes there are some that are not good for squat execpt for oiling your squeeky snake.
You should probably reread his post...and if you don't know what a GXP has in it, please don't give out incorrect information. There's been a lot of incorrect information given out by newer members lately that have no clue what they're talking about and then they get all irritated with the older members trying to correct them. Not too mention, people in the future will be confused by their incorrect information, as is what's happening now in several other posts.

As far as hurting a DI engine...yes...fuel inductions (fuel system cleaners, valve cleaners, anything that fogs, etc) WILL DESTROY a turbo!!! (Sorry Raygun, I have to do it.....) I've worked with dealerships and in dealerships for almost my entire life, and one of our biggest clients was Hyundai/Kia. They sent an emergency TSB to all dealers about 5 years ago (maybe longer) warning them about the use of any type of cleaning product introduced into the engine before the turbo....especially BG products and Valvoline, but not limited too any particular product. Anything that would "clean" carbon deposits was NOT to be used in a DI turbo motor as it WILL cause damage. It stated that it could be used in a common fuel injected motor (non-DI) that was not turbo charged and was actually encouraged. Again, this has been discussed tons of times prior and comes up about 6 times a year in new posts.....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 PM

well thats good info, I stand corrected.I did not realize all the gxp's were DI. those motors do have a challange to keep alive from more than 1 stand point. ford addressed the issues pretty good with's it's racing program's on the ecoboost stuff, Im not sure "gm" did a lot till there was lots of issues. Walnut blasting is about the best way to get the crap off the valves so it dosent start running rich and insulating the intake valves till there red hot and broken and just making things worse. but even walnut blasting has draw backs.( properly done and properly cleaned after wards,) Im not sure there is a pour in injector cleaner that will cut all the lava rock off the intakes on a non DI engine.( I think the synthetic oils that"dont coke up" are part of the issue as when they do turn to lavarock...nothing will dissolve it) ( the lavarock,witch are also there on the DI engines from 1 pcv and 2 oil through the valve guides) TSB's are usualy right on most of the time.and since these cars have Hyundai heads.....they might just be on to something. it's time for the next genaration of turbo friendly cleaners. I wonder if the newer DI engines have coated intake ports&valves to keep the buildup down?
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:02 PM

Garage
Just had a friend lose his turbo after using seafoam. My mechanic says never use it for any reason. That is about all I know about it.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Ford also has the same issues. All DI engines have this issue and there is no "fix" at this point. Just have to blast the valves.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post

As far as hurting a DI engine...yes...fuel inductions (fuel system cleaners, valve cleaners, anything that fogs, etc) WILL DESTROY a turbo!!! (Sorry Raygun, I have to do it.....) I've worked with dealerships and in dealerships for almost my entire life, and one of our biggest clients was Hyundai/Kia. They sent an emergency TSB to all dealers about 5 years ago (maybe longer) warning them about the use of any type of cleaning product introduced into the engine before the turbo....especially BG products and Valvoline, but not limited too any particular product. Anything that would "clean" carbon deposits was NOT to be used in a DI turbo motor as it WILL cause damage. It stated that it could be used in a common fuel injected motor (non-DI) that was not turbo charged and was actually encouraged. Again, this has been discussed tons of times prior and comes up about 6 times a year in new posts.....
Ghost speaks the truth. Limit the use of additives like Seafoam, or whatever magic elixir, to your lawnmower or 1982 Chrysler K Car.
Ford has gone so far as to put right in their owners manual, that using any fuel additive or intake cleaner to one of their turbocharged engines will instantly void the warranty. The factory has even issued a procedure to check the seals and bearing on a failed turbocharger in order to determine whether additives have been used.
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for all your help. It is a pleasure being part of this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode