Shifter pate - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Shifter pate

anyone know where I could get one of the shifter plates with the shifter positions on it the chrome and the chrome ring that goes around it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Are you asking about a gated shifter? As far as I know, no one has done one.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 PM

Garage
If your asking about an OEM replacement, then they pop up on eBay quite often; 2 have sold in the past week.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Are you asking about a gated shifter? As far as I know, no one has done one.
I think he means the auto shift plate

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
I looked at making a gated shifter plate but I don't think it's realistic. (Or, at least *I* couldn't figure it out.) The distance from the pivot to the area around the shifter is so small that there's not really enough room between the position of the shaft in different gears. The short shifter (which is awesome) exacerbates the issue.

Many of the cars I've seen that have OEM gated shifters have cable-driven shift mechanisms with a pivot that's much lower in the car, resulting in a lot more left-right movement of the shifter between gears.

It'd be great if someone has figured out a way around this, but I've got nothin'.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 AM

I thought he was looking for a liver appetizer type thing...

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I think he means the auto shift plate
Could be. I don't tend to think in terms of "auto".
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
I looked at making a gated shifter plate but I don't think it's realistic. (Or, at least *I* couldn't figure it out.) The distance from the pivot to the area around the shifter is so small that there's not really enough room between the position of the shaft in different gears. The short shifter (which is awesome) exacerbates the issue.

Many of the cars I've seen that have OEM gated shifters have cable-driven shift mechanisms with a pivot that's much lower in the car, resulting in a lot more left-right movement of the shifter between gears.

It'd be great if someone has figured out a way around this, but I've got nothin'.
Another significant problem is having the shifter mounted to the transmission (which is a good thing except in this instance) and the gate mounted to the chassis, since the transmission can move relative to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
I thought he was looking for a liver appetizer type thing...
I don't actually laugh out loud when reading things, but I did after this. Thank you!
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Be aware that a gated shifter plate will make shifting more "difficult' , but it looks cool though.
In the couple of cars I've driven with gated shifters - I'm specifically thinking of an F355 - you couldn't really hit the gate with the shifter. The key to its operation was just to not look at the shifter. As long as I kept that in mind, it shifted just like any other manual, though without a lot of the slop that you get in lower-end cars.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
anyone know where I could get one of the shifter plates with the shifter positions on it the chrome and the chrome ring that goes around it?
If you are looking for the plate that is part or the automatic transmission shifter assembly:
FactoryOEM and SourceOne both have the assembly for a Sky, but neither has one for the Solstice.
Try Glenn: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...7/#post2175957

John
Lexington, KY
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:20 AM

You could make one by hand and get it etched up still look pretty good. Seems like the main purpose would be down shifting making super sure you didnt hit first while clipping pretty good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solstice concept dash.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	94969  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
Why are there two of these threads going?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM

The OP duplicated his post, and the two have drifted in different directions.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Maybe he's talking about the chrome plastic shifter surround:

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 AM

If looking at the manual stock shifter, it can have a gated plate if it is inset way down in the tunnel.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireKicker View Post
You could make one by hand and get it etched up still look pretty good. Seems like the main purpose would be down shifting making super sure you didnt hit first while clipping pretty good
Is that a photoshop or actually someone’s solstice ?

VIN# 4257 Deep - Conv. pkg-Power pkg - ABS - LSD - floormats Mods: Kappashield - Chrome door locks - caliper decals - visor sticker covers - Kappa alum pedals - Vector ECM reflash - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster 40 exhaust - chrome fender vents - aluminum door sills - RK sport rear wing (best appearance mod yet) Normís Recessed Grills- awesome!coming soon -Normís GXP side skirts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode