StanceWars Solstice Feature - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

StanceWars Solstice Feature

I just ran across this article (3/9/17) about a (former?) forum member car being featured. I think a lot of you will remember it, the owner went through a couple different set of wheels in a short period of time. Anyway, it's nice to see an American car being featured in an import heavy genre.
StanceWars Group ? Fitment is Key ? Jared Morgan ? Stancewars

Whats it like to be Jared Morgan and pave the way with a Pontiac Solstice
Photos by JW Photos - Words by Mike Tolliver and Jared Morgan
I was wondering though our StanceWars Facebook group and I saw this amazing ride, so I asked Jared to pop me a few pics, after being impressed I asked for more info, so enjoy and #Bedifferent
My name is Jared Morgan. You can find me on Instagram at @Jared_r_morgan. I’m from New Orleans, Louisiana and I represent @Hyperlowmafia and @Sovereign_fitment. I drive a 2008 Pontiac Solstice on LB Forged wheels
Jared Why this car? I wanted something out of the box…something that no matter what I did to it, I would be endeavoring into uncharted territory. For me, It’s fun to make something that will have all who view it second guess their own views like, “Damn….I hate (inset car make and model here), but that one is SICK!!!” hahaha.

Jared , How many cars have you built? This will be my second car that I’ve built. My previous one was equally uncommon in the stance/import scene, but it wasn’t as fun for me to drive. It was a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu that gained a lot of attention. However, I could only drive an automatic economy sedan for so long before I got totally bored.
What was the hardest to do on this car? The hardest thing was dialing the fitment. It’s not like I could just hop on a forum and steal specs. The majority of Solstice owners are older fellas who own the cars strictly to take their wives out on the weekends for tea at the country club and stuff. I juggled through a few wheel sets getting it all squared away.
What do people NOT notice on this car? That’s a hard thing to say honestly. The car is an attention grabber by nature, but if there’s one thing that the majority of people don’t realize it’s that there is HUGE aftermarket support for this platform. Lots of performance as well as aesthetic mods out there to work with. The possibilities truly are endless. There are hardtops that turn the cars into station wagons, there are V8 swap kits, forced induction kits…you name it. It’s pretty rad! I’m definitely not finished with this car.

If you did this again what WOULD YOU NOT do? Knowing what I know now? I wouldn’t waste a second settling for wheels that aren’t perfect. If you know your specs, go custom forged. I tell everyone that. Get the wheel you want. Get the finish you want. Get the specs you want. Don’t settle, because you only spend a hell of a lot more in the end. What I would do to get some of that money back…..haha!
What do you think of people copying you? Faltering or hate it. Honestly, nobody has tried. Haha! I like it that way.
Jared – Who inspired you to do this? My taste has been influenced by many aspects of car culture. You’ll notice my “culture is a beautiful thing” stickers on my front fenders. This is an ode to the fact that I have an appreciation for all custom cars granted they are built with care and built right. I grew up on American classics, but I found fascination in imports/stance as I grew older. Hence why you’ll notice my car is a fusion of styles all in one little package.
What is your dream car? Well…Dream car assumes no budget. So let me go full dreamer mode here and say my dream car is that baby blue Liberty Walk 458 with the dark blue Forgi’s on it. That thing drives me absolutely nuts. *insert heart eyes emoji*

Wheels specs
LB Forged LB-152 in 24k Gold finish w/ polished lips.
Front 20×10 +25 w/ 225/35 Toyo Proxes
Rear 20×11 +30 w/ 245/35 Toyo Proxes

Jim Armagost likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 03-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Can't say that's my style, but always cool to see the Solstice in any form (except crashed or junked, heart breaking).

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Pics from article added.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:06 PM

A front bumper, wheels that don't fit and tires that are too small for the wheels counts as "building" a car now?

I guess this is cool if you hate driving.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM

HUGE aftermarket??? Really???

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Remember y'all we were young once too… For example, in my youth the look was 70s aspect sidewalls, white letter tires on 15 inch Cragers or Keystones chrome wheels, with airshocks so you could get the ass of the car up as high as stupidly possible, in order to show everyone the obnoxious red Cherrybomb mufflers. And the more that older people B&M about it, the cooler it was. Bumper sticker of the day; If you think it's too loud, you're too old!

However, I think what has to be focused on is that this Solstice is being exposed to a younger car crowd, and if it's anything a orphan car needs, it's new blood so that the car remains relevant.
Seldom Home and Steelmesh like this.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
A DONK!

Diversity is fun

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Wow, that looks like garbage.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Street Performance pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
Wow, that looks like garbage.
To you. There is a pretty huge scene out there, can't deny it. Stancing is not Racing, it's about looking good in a parking lot IMO; it's a completely different culture that I don't completely understand. What I do understand was my willingness to do anything to mod my car when I was 16-18...then I went to Auto Tech school and smartened up a bit. But that passion, zip ties, exhaust tips, Home Depot cold air intake ducting, etc. all got me into automotive industry, and now automotive engineering development.

I think part of the reason this stance look is persistent is because it upsets a lot of people, so it is like a form of rebellion. In addition, the cars almost resemble real life cartoons, I can see why it is appealing to the youngsters.
Sting Ya and ChopTop like this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Remember y'all we were young once too…
Yeah, but I wasn't stupid, and I like cars I can drive and any mods should be in aid of that. Modding to reduce the ability to drive a car safety is stupidity. Basically turning a functioning car into a more or less immobile sculpture.

Paint your Solstice metalflake purple and I'll question your aesthetic sense, which is no big deal - to each his own. Turn it into clown car with appearance mods that also cripple it's handling and drivability, and I'll question your sanity, while agreeing that you have every right to do what you want with it..

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:37 PM

The look of Jared's car is not for me but this what he is into so who am I to judge . Just like painting anything but a hot rod flat black or the patina look that's popular today these trends do nothing for me and I think it ruins the look of a lot of cars I have seen but again it's up to the owner to personalize his car and in the end he or she is the one who drives it .One of the great things about the forum is the diversity of the cars the owners have from a well maintained stock car like Chickenwire's to the "King Of Modders " Rob The Elder life would be pretty dull if we all drove around in similar looking cars .Just to add Jared's car went through a couple of different looks while he was on the forum and the last was a bit more tamer .
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Yeah, but I wasn't stupid, and I like cars I can drive and any mods should be in aid of that. Modding to reduce the ability to drive a car safety is stupidity. Basically turning a functioning car into a more or less immobile sculpture.

Paint your Solstice metalflake purple and I'll question your aesthetic sense, which is no big deal - to each his own. Turn it into clown car with appearance mods that also cripple it's handling and drivability, and I'll question your sanity, while agreeing that you have every right to do what you want with it..
This is my type of clown car, it's called Ronald

2015 Detroit Auto Show

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Remember y'all we were young once too…
Being in my 20's I would say I'm younger than 80% of the members on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmesh View Post
...I think part of the reason this stance look is persistent is because it upsets a lot of people....
I am not upset that somebody made their own car undriveable. I don't mind if they want to ruin their own property. The reason it is "popular" is because it takes no skill at all. You buy your way in with expensive wheels and cheap coilovers. There is no competition or way to loose at stance events. You """build""" a car, take some pictures of it, drive to the nearest parking lot and scrape going in, and thats all. This is what happens when a generation growing up always gets a trophy. They have to have a "scene" or "movement" to describe themselves but its nothing more than attention whoring. They modify there cars not because they like it, if you have ever ridden in one there is no way somebody could like that, they do it to fit in with their group while at the same time trying to call themselves unique.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Street Performance pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
This is what happens when a generation growing up always gets a trophy. They have to have a "scene" or "movement" to describe themselves but its nothing more than attention whoring. They modify there cars not because they like it, if you have ever ridden in one there is no way somebody could like that, they do it to fit in with their group while at the same time trying to call themselves unique.
I think that's on point and also accounts for other manifestations of pretending to be different while actually conforming to a group - kids who all get tattoos to be 'different' being another one.

I shake my head at the guys doing mods like that, but I respect the young guys who get into things like solo at any level where they get to shoot for a target and, I think, benefit from the exercise no matter how successfully they do it.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Being in my 20's I would say I'm younger than 80% of the members on this forum.

I am not upset that somebody made their own car undriveable. I don't mind if they want to ruin their own property. The reason it is "popular" is because it takes no skill at all. You buy your way in with expensive wheels and cheap coilovers. There is no competition or way to loose at stance events. You """build""" a car, take some pictures of it, drive to the nearest parking lot and scrape going in, and thats all. This is what happens when a generation growing up always gets a trophy. They have to have a "scene" or "movement" to describe themselves but its nothing more than attention whoring. They modify there cars not because they like it, if you have ever ridden in one there is no way somebody could like that, they do it to fit in with their group while at the same time trying to call themselves unique.
I am not a stancer supporter, I would just palm slap my forehead and walk away, so my way of insulting stancers is to ignore them.

Part of me thinks there are stance kids out there who love cars and making them better, but are ignorant and unexperienced and really tight on cash. Personally, there are no and were no gearheads in my family, not even close. When I saw a Senior in High School automotive class building a V8, I wasnt sure what to think and didnt understand how the kid could do that. Obviously, his dad wrenched on cars, they built a sick fastback Mustang that year. I am genuinely jealous of friends dads who taught them mechanics when young.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode