Stupid Battery Placement Replacment Club - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
I once had a 2004 Cadillac DHS. The battery was under the back seat.
While the Solstice sleeps over the winter, I have a 2001 LeSabre for a winter car. It's battery is under the back seat and I love it. Yank the seating area up from the front edge with no tools and set it across the front seat. One socket for the terminals and one for the hold down. Took like 10 minutes and everything is sooooo nice and clean under there. There's so much room in the back of that sucker that I set my battery booster box on the driver's side and I knelt on the passenger side. Made it easy to keep the car hooked up to power with just a few seconds interruption (I have trust issues ☺ ) by putting the booster box clamps on the battery cables as I removed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
The compartment should be vented to avoid that .
There batteries made just for the underseat applications, with small rectangular vent nipples on either side. The LeSabre has a rubber tubing Y arrangement like a stethoscope that runs to outside the car. If there's an underseat battery size the same as the Solstice's there's probably a bunch of those batteries in some of our cars right now, as you'd never notice if you weren't looking for that.

Last edited by ┐spoom; 01-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
The compartment should be vented to avoid that .
There are batteries made just for the underseat applications, with small round or rectangular vent nipples on either side. My LeSabre has a tube arrangement like a stethoscope that runs to outside the car. If there's an underseat compatible battery in a size the same as the Solstice's there's probably a bunch of those batteries in some of our cars right now, as you'd never notice if you weren't looking for the vents.

Last edited by ┐spoom; 01-18-2017 at 07:03 PM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:33 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
My 69 VW bug had the battery under the rear seat.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 AM

Garage
That's the Battery I just put in my Solstice, removed the previous owners wall mart battery that seemed to be leaking causing a corrosion issue to start on the inside of the front fender, and the top of the battery tray.

Interesting that this is one thing that seems to be easier to change on a Mallet conversion, as the power steering reservoir is not located above the battery now. I also am using this opportunity to replace the slightly cracked inner fenders, and remove the ECM so it can be sent out to fix the cruise control issue inherent with the early conversions.

While I did find the battery a bit of a pain to change, I have owned cars that it was worse. I had a 70's Ford that you almost had to remove the front fender to get the battery out. You could see it, get all the hardware loose, but just could not get it out of the position it was in without loosening either the front fender or the radiator core support. Removing the front fender of a Solstice is not a difficult job Provided you can open the door all the way to get to the 1 bolt mounted at the rear of the fender.

Certified Pontaholic & Former Jet Mech

1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6, T-5
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed
1977 Astre Formula 215 V-8 T-5
1978 Sunbird Safari 231 V-6 2004R
1978 Catalina Safari Soon to have a Pontiac 400 4bb
2006 Mallet Solstice LS2 6-speed Manual
2009 G8 GT
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM

After replacing the battery so many times (float charger killed it, I killed it, I killed it) I invested $60 into installing on of these:

Another note, I met another Kappa owner on Woodward last season, he explained that on a stock Kappa car without the P/S pump relocation, you can remove the battery by pulling it up and out without removing the fender. I have the P/S pump relocation so I have not looked into it at all.

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums

Last edited by Steelmesh; 01-20-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: optimizations
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:32 PM

Is that a battery cut out switch or what is "one of these"? I would appreciate more information. Pick up the Solstice GXP Saturday and plundering the back story on this forum and the internet in general.
\
Thanks,
R Snipes
4501 Safari on a lot of car and train places
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 PM

My 63 VW Bug also had the battery under the rear seat and my wife's 2015 GMC Acadia has the battery under the floorboard in front of the rear seat.

Right now I'm looking to change my battery, first one lasted 4-1/2 years and current one is about same age since I'm planning on doing a brake job and replace the cracked fender liners while I have the front wheels off. It's an ideal time to do it with everything off and I'm not interested in seeing how long my battery will last.

It seems battery locations now is like gas cap locations back in the early 60's when I pumped gas at my uncle's station. It was very embarrassing to ask female drivers where the gas cap was hidden

2008 NA, factory chrome wheels, power windows, wind deflector, OnStar.

Midland, GA
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
If you think ours is bad, you should see the battery placement on some Chrysler cars... the Cirrus (and siblings) for instance. Agh!
Besides my Sky I also have a Dodge Journey and it's battery is even more hidden.

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtex View Post
On the positive side, one would have to spend at least $250,000 to buy another car that is as impractical as the Solstice!
Hard to believe, but an Alfa Romeo 4C is even less practical than a Solstice, and only runs around $60-$70k, depending on options and Coupe vs. Spider. At least we have luxury items such as a glove box, or gas struts for the rear hatch (Coupe). We can even add windshield washer or brake fluid without special tools.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 PM

Garage
Oh, and like Bill in BC, my 2009 Coupe still has the original battery. I plan on taking the remove-the-front-tire route when it comes time for replacement.
GODROD likes this.

Coupe #827
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 AM

I had thought that removing the fender was going to be a big deal. It really is easy. I would think that taking the wheel off would be harder.

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Garage
I agree, I only removed the wheel well as I replacing the cracked ones on the car. I believe there are only 6 or 7 bolts holding on the fender, and I actually did not need the extra access removing the wheel or wheel well provided.

Certified Pontaholic & Former Jet Mech

1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6, T-5
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed
1977 Astre Formula 215 V-8 T-5
1978 Sunbird Safari 231 V-6 2004R
1978 Catalina Safari Soon to have a Pontiac 400 4bb
2006 Mallet Solstice LS2 6-speed Manual
2009 G8 GT
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post
Is that a battery cut out switch or what is "one of these"? I would appreciate more information. Pick up the Solstice GXP Saturday and plundering the back story on this forum and the internet in general.
\
Thanks,
R Snipes
4501 Safari on a lot of car and train places

Yes, cut off switch. I got a post adapter to go into the stock post clamp, then a cable that clamps on the battery ground with a lug on the end that goes to the switch.

Here is the switch I got, 300 amp + 1000 amp peak: http://www.autozone.com/ignition/kil...?checkfit=true

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to gwhunter12
That's how I removed battery in my coupe. Very straight forward and easy. No fender issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode