Sun Shade - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
I made mine also:

(It was really a Halloween decoration.)
Why does this make me think of those poor embarrassed dogs that people dress up as reindeer?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Hey John,

How about some picture of the cover in more detail? Please.

I sew Sunbrella, but mostly flat things like boat window covers and cockpit enclosures.

The sewing on your cover around the head rests look difficult.

Did you make paper patterns?
Hey. No paper patterns, and no stitching around the headrests. The cover is two flat pieces stitched on a curve to match the bow at the top of the windscreen. It has stretched a bit to conform, but even from new it fit about the same way.

I did first make one from a black bedsheet when I was trying to work out the shape and the attachment, and used that one with more-or-less continuous modifications for most of a summer. Bedsheets, by the way are not UV stable, and it was an interesting grey by the time I was finished with it.

From the sheet I made one from a bolt of some sort of fabric that I got from WalMart on clearance to make prototypes. It took a couple of tries to get the shapes the way I wanted them, and I then used the final one as a pattern to cut out the Sunbrella.

The top stitching is not supposed to be white, but I used the wrong spool of thread and it has bleached quite severely. It is also starting to fall apart, so I will be re-constructing it this winter. I need a second one for the second car, so I will make it at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_115626394.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	97703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_115537112.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	97705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_113439702_HDR.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	97707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_113425612_HDR.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	97709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_113403910_HDR.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	97711  

John
Lexington, KY
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 AM

And here are some details of the attachment points.

The snaps inside the trunk replace four of the screws and are snap studs with integral screw threads.

The snaps along the base of the windscreen and under the mirrors are pop-riveted to aluminum discs that are attached with 3M body molding tape.

A "bonus" if you want to call it that is that the covers stows on top of the top so it takes up no space and keeps lint from the trunk lid lining off of the top.

If you look you will see two small tears in the middle of the back edge where I forgot to unsnap the center snaps before closing the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_113235368_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	97713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_113215600.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	97715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190409_184809005.jpg
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	97717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190409_184737127.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	97719  
joybill44 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Garage
Thanks JohnWR for the pictures.

Now I see how you made the cover.

If you pop rivet to the metal discs, does'nt part of the rivet protrude out the back? How did you deal with that to stick the adhesive on flush?

I also see a snap on the waterfull in one picture but not others. Is there one there and method of attachment?

As far as threads deteriorating I use polyester thread for sewing Sunbrella. I wash boat window covers made of Sunbrella or Phifertex in bleach every year and the polyester thread used to sew the covers have lasted 19 years without degradation.

Sailrite sells it. They also have PTFE "Lifetime thread" but seeing that polyester thread lasted 19 years, I see no reason to upgrade to the more expensive thread.

Last edited by syjos; 06-23-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 PM

I forgot that detail. I put a countersink in the back of the disc. Since the "tail" of the pop rivet is hollow and quite thin, it is easy to use a punch to flatten it into the countersink. The 3M tape is relatively thick, so the countersink may not be necessary, but to me it makes a nice touch.

There is no snap on the waterfall. There are four across the inside of the trunk, three along the base of the windscreen, and one under each mirror. I looked at the pictures and didn't see anything. Which picture? A reflection maybe?

All of the fading is down to sun exposure, as I only occasionally wash the cover, and then in the same Tide white bottle that i wash regular clothes in.

The sad thing is that I have the correct thread, but it is on the same type of bobbin as the "other stuff". and I simply grabbed the wrong one. They are now labeled more clearly.
syjos likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I made it. I looked all over for one and couldn't find anything other than the Kappabrella, that i did not like the look of.
I bought the Kappabrella. Used it once. Found that it took far longer and was more complicated to put the Kappabrella on than it was to put the top up.
phil1734 and Greatgab like this.
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
And here are some details of the attachment points.

The snaps inside the trunk replace four of the screws and are snap studs with integral screw threads.

The snaps along the base of the windscreen and under the mirrors are pop-riveted to aluminum discs that are attached with 3M body molding tape.

A "bonus" if you want to call it that is that the covers stows on top of the top so it takes up no space and keeps lint from the trunk lid lining off of the top.

If you look you will see two small tears in the middle of the back edge where I forgot to unsnap the center snaps before closing the trunk.
Is that 3M tape the same double sided tape I get at Lowes?
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybill44 View Post
I bought the Kappabrella. Used it once. Found that it took far longer and was more complicated to put the Kappabrella on than it was to put the top up.
If the cover is stowed as I showed in the picture it takes just about 30 seconds to get it on or off. It takes about twice that long if it is folded in the back of the trunk. It also protects the interior from the sun, and looks way cool. (In my opinion.)
Quote:
Is that 3M tape the same double sided tape I get at Lowes?
I don't know exactly what you get at Lowe's, but it looks similar to what I just looked up on their website, except for thickness.
I get it at Advance Auto Parts in a package labeled 3M Super Strength Molding Tape.

John
Lexington, KY
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
If the cover is stowed as I showed in the picture it takes just about 30 seconds to get it on or off. It takes about twice that long if it is folded in the back of the trunk. It also protects the interior from the sun, and looks way cool. (In my opinion.)

I don't know exactly what you get at Lowe's, but it looks similar to what I just looked up on their website, except for thickness.
I get it at Advance Auto Parts in a package labeled 3M Super Strength Molding Tape.
Just went to Advance Auto. It's the same tape.

Many thanks.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I fold my kappabrella the same every time and take it off and put it on the same every time. Once I figured out how to do this (maybe a half dozen uses, max) it takes me less than a minute to put it on. Having a routine makes just about anything like this a little easier. Putting the top up is probably just a little quicker for me but when I don't need the added security I like not having the sun on my top or having the interior heat up so much.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:36 PM

I bought the UVS10O by Covercraft. It is custom fit exactly for the car.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Midnight Blue
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_c View Post
What does everyone use for a sun shade for the front window? I've been looking for a good one, but want the collapsable kind instead of the rolled or folded kind. No luck so far. Can't seem to find the right size.
I made one when I first got my Sol. Accordion silver / chrome bubble wrap type of screen. Unfold it OUTSIDE and lay it across your windshield. Mine already had a cutout for the rear view mirror. I centered the shade so that cutout was directly in line with the rear view mirror as seen from outside the car. Make sure the entire shade covers your windshield. lightly stretch the shade and tape in in place across your windshield. This should flatten it out as best it can be and will not allow the shade to shift while you're marking on it. Take a Black Sharpie pen and trace the outline of the INSIDE of the windshield frame to mark the shape of the shade that you will CUT WITH SCISSORS to it's final shape and size. Doing it this way allows for you to make finite adjustments once you get the shade initially cut to shape.

Take the shade (now in its initial shape and size) and place it INSIDE the car in its permanent place. It will be slightly larger than you need. YOU WANT THAT extra to allow the shade to hold itself in place once you place it in for use. Before doing this, trace your windshield INSIDE your car with your FINGERS. You will feel indentations in the plastic window frame vs. the windshield itself. You do this so you KNOW to NOT CUT / TRIM too much from the new shade you just cut. Place the shade in shape and make minor trim cuts (marked with your sharpie pen) to adjust your shade to your windshield PERFECTLY so no light comes through the shade from the exterior of the car. Once done with trimming the shade .. put it back inside the car and again, make minor markings (IF necessary) and make those minor cuts.

Mind folds up and sits behind the drivers seat when not in use. I can provide pictures if you need but won't at this posting. I made this shade in 2011 and it is still in use and works great.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the web address RedOne07. I ordered one for the coupe front windshield today & they will also send me me material to make a pattern for the rear & sides & then i send it back to them & they will the make me one for the rear & side windows.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Thanks for the web address RedOne07. I ordered one for the coupe front windshield today & they will also send me me material to make a pattern for the rear & sides & then i send it back to them & they will the make me one for the rear & side windows.
I would love one for the back window of my coupe. Could you include me in this? If yes, just let me know what I owe you and I will send funds. I have a sun shield for front window. My side windows are tinted. The back window ....I need, I need, I need.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades - SOLD Sept 13, 2019
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:33 PM

No problem Northern i will order for both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode