Take the guesswork out of owning HP Tuners - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Saveaux
  • 1 Post By LatinVenom
  • 1 Post By rob the elder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Take the guesswork out of owning HP Tuners

I prefer not to ship ECM, cables, or other devices back and forth around the globe and would like to have an independent stand-alone tune system that enables me to go back to stock any time.

Does anyone know about the:
. . . . Add your own V-tuner to your MPVI2 and you will receive a Laptop fully configured with the VCM Suite along with our proprietary V-tuner access pre-loaded so that our Tuners here at RPM-Motorsports can offer you ongoing real time support just like we have been doing for years with our "loaner" devices. Let our team configure and setup your VCM Suite, take the guesswork out of owning HP Tuners!. . . . .
https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/stor...ers_MPVI2.html

I understand it is basically a laptop (real cheapy one I assume) with installed VCM-Scanner & VCM-Editor software ?

Only thing to add (as I understand it) would be the RPM Motorsports tune and the MPV12 connector for the OBD2 port.

Do you guys have any opinions on this RPM Motorsports solution complete with laptop ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
I can't say much about RPM as I've never used them but I just bought the MPIV2 from PAW for $299, 2 credits cost another $99 and then PAW will tune for $375. you only need a PC next to your car to install the tune, but you'll need a laptop (mines a cheap $199 laptop) to do datalogs while driving (or a PC with a big UPS, lol). The HPtuner Editor is what you use to add/remove a tune. The HPtuner VCM scanner is how you datalog. Both the editor and scanner are free downloads from HPtuners website. Dave from PAW wrote a base tune for me and then has revised it several times, after some data logs. The $375 from PAW gets you unlimited tune support from Dave (he'll make as many adjustments as needed for free).

I went with PAW because they seem to have a stellar tuning record, unlike RPM.
rob the elder likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking that installing and setting up the VCM Suite software probably is very difficult and therefore I kind of like the RPM option where they sell you a laptop with software pre installed and configured.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
I was thinking that installing and setting up the VCM Suite software probably is very difficult
It is not. It does require a little bit of RTFM, but very little.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Founding Member

Am I missing something here are you the owner of a NA Solstice?.
You do not get much out of a NA tune, unless you do long exhaust manifolds, cams plus other things and even then the max output would be in the 200 maybe 220 BHP or at the crank.
The only other choice is add a supercharger or turbo to the NA motor for real added power.
stevebot39 likes this.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

I realize power gains are small. But PAW and RPMms list various things that are included in the tune and that caught my attention.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
I realize power gains are small. But PAW and RPMms list various things that are included in the tune and that caught my attention.
such as?

Bill
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have had excellent experience with both the companies you mentioned. My first choice for a tune would be Dave at PAW.
easyryderca likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:11 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
well if he can get the 10 or morehp&tq and the nanny crap out of the box and hopefully the lag between the peddel and the TB gone(thats a bitch for me asIve never delt with that..hard to retrain my brain to activate the right foot befor the left foot..my old big motor bug was almost unstallable, and had instant response), It would be a lnicer drive. So i suppose that would be worth it.( do wish they would have a tune sale....although I dont knwo if they have a stock tune and a header &better breathing intake system tune.witch is why I havent done it yet...and ..time. But I will get a tune hopefully this year... Either before or after the header install as I still have to build it.I have almost everything to build it but...time and room to do it. I plan on building 2 headers, short try y built right,paired right, and a longer try y (4-2-1). the longer will probably come first. since this is my only car....It's kinda hard to have any down time. I can tune extreamly well...with duel carbs& dist...but I aint so "box " friendly. I wise there was a good selection of affordable cams too....or big wheel rockers....dang i need to get another car to spearament with.....no I done with all that stuff...thus the internal struggle.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
I can't say much about RPM as I've never used them but I just bought the MPIV2 from PAW for $299, 2 credits cost another $99 and then PAW will tune for $375. you only need a PC next to your car to install the tune, but you'll need a laptop (mines a cheap $199 laptop) to do datalogs while driving (or a PC with a big UPS, lol). The HPtuner Editor is what you use to add/remove a tune. The HPtuner VCM scanner is how you datalog. Both the editor and scanner are free downloads from HPtuners website. Dave from PAW wrote a base tune for me and then has revised it several times, after some data logs. The $375 from PAW gets you unlimited tune support from Dave (he'll make as many adjustments as needed for free).

I am using RPM now and its taken a month for the preliminary tune and I am still waiting for them next tune. I am not very impressed so far and will email them tomorrow to see where my tune is. Do you have a link for PAW I would like to check it out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamano View Post
I am using RPM now and its taken a month for the preliminary tune and I am still waiting for them next tune. I am not very impressed so far and will email them tomorrow to see where my tune is. Do you have a link for PAW I would like to check it out.
While I obviously cannot guarantee anything, my experience with Dave at Performance Autowerks (PAW) has been nothing like this. We're on V7 of the tune for my car and I don't think it's ever been more than 24 hours between me sending a log file and getting a refined tune back. One time he even said it was going to be a few days to get back with an update and then it showed up a few hours later.

Class A service.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post

The day I asked Dave at Performance Auto Werks for the initial tune for my brand new engine, I was sent one only a couple hours later that same day!

After I started the engine for the first time I datalogged it's first 7 minutes while running in the garage and quite frankly it ran pretty bad. It wouldn't idle at all, smelled rich and was running really rough. I couldn't even leave the driver's seat because I had to work the throttle to keep it alive, it finally died a little over 7 min, when I tried to let it idle. I sent Dave the datalog file that night and the next morning I had a new tune waiting for me in my email when I woke up. I installed the new tune and ran it for 20 min. This time it ran MUCH better; it idled really well! I was able to leave the driver's seat and checked out the engine bay. There was an obvious air sucking sound; which I presumed was a vacuum hose I forgot to hookup. Nope, both corners of my intake manifold were completely broken off - I wont go into why the corners were broke, as that's a whole other story! No wonder the car didn't run well on the first tune and even more, it's cool that it ran at all! What's most impressive, is that Dave was able to write a second tune for the car that not only allowed the car to run, but also run quite well and even idle great, even with a busted intake manifold!! After I saw that the intake was broke I pulled out the brand new intake that the LDK engine came with. Two holes have to be drilled and one has to be tapped, to make the LDK intake work, other then those two things, the LNF and LDK intakes are identical. Anyways, I swapped the intakes and was suggested to go back to the first tune that Dave sent me. I did that and have run the car over 120 miles on the new engine. Dave's checked multiple datalogs and it seems to be running perfect.

I can't promise that everyone would have the same luck as I've had but I really can't praise Dave enough, he's a pleasure to work with, has quality parts and as mentioned before - he's a wizard with tuning. I can't recommend PAW enough.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

I have been in contact with Dave and asked him a few question. Very prompt and friendly reply.

The very positive comment from you guys and the email communication moved PAW to the top of my short-list.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 AM

I went with Dave's DDM tune at one of the NASSAM events . I think it was about $400 at the time. He actually took the car out twice with his laptop to get things right.Well worth it & so far no problems. I always found Dave very helpful & quick at getting back to me if i had any questions.

Last edited by easyryderca; 08-16-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode