Tony's 700 hp V8 Solstice - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Tony's 700 hp V8 Solstice

Road and Track review of Tony's Slowstice

A 700-Horsepower V8 Takes This Pontiac Solstice from Cute to Brute

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 01:44 PM

Congratulations Tony! A lot of folks should see this because it's being featured on Road&Track. Plus this is the kind of exposure that should get people's attention for considering a Kappa as a project car (almost 35,000 views). Though I'd rather the host be Matt Farah.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 05-31-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Who puts an LS in a Solstice?

Lots of us do LOLOLOL

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 PM

So I guess we know what Tony's been up to
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM

The video was okay. But other than him saying "Wow this thing is fast" they needed something to give perspective to the acceleration.

That said, cool ride. I want one.

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! Patrick Henry
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Pwerks built this one.

Guess that's all I got to say about that.

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.

Last edited by blackbirdracing; 06-02-2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Kind nudge from above
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdracing View Post
Pwerks built this one.

no issues.

yet Robert Ashby complains all the time.
Well you can fool some of the people all the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you will never fool all of the people all of the time.

What it boils down to is that every buyer has their own set of expectations, and they are different than the other buyer's expectations for the same product. I suspect that Robert Ashby is a very particular type of individual who has very, very high expectations for the products he buys.

Robert's conversion had a few features that were/are a bit different that the other conversions that PAW has done, and no two conversions are identical anyways.

Tony has dealt with a few hi performance conversions, and has a very realistic expectation of what he is going to find acceptable.

So I'm not picking on Dave Gilbert, I'm not picking on Robert Ashby, nor Tony. I'm just trying to formulate a realistic view of two different conversions for two very different customers.

Nuff said!

Have a fantastic rest of the day., everyone!

1st 1K - #741
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Lets not turn a nice thread into a debate on conversions or events that are well documented elsewhere.

Thanks

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Sol View Post
The video was okay. But other than him saying "Wow this thing is fast" they needed something to give perspective to the acceleration.
I would agree with that, although he does say its beating z06s.

if I had the cash, I would be tempted. being able to roll up to about any car and blow it away and the stuck to the seat feeling is always great but I'd keep it to look like the off the line solstice as much as possible. one of the reasons I bought the solstice is the design which one of the best GM put out in the past 20 years.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 AM

Garage
Great looking car, I love red and black together. A good driver makes thing look smoother. In honesty, the video did not give much of an idea of how fast it is, but I would think that is very hard to do. Also the quality of the camera makes a difference. Thanks for posting the video Chop.

I have one that is supposedly 100HP less. For gawd's sake it is fast enough! Being able to drive and control so much horsepower is a skill, being such a short wheel base car, power is more noticeable I think.

Congratulations on getting the car you wanted Tony, thanks Dave for providing it. Getting these things right is a very difficult job for most. Our vendors on this board seem to be able to figure it out. I know Dave at DDM, made mine so much more drivable and fun to drive it was amazing.

Thanks for sharing the information on this fantastic build, just sorry I was so late to the party!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 PM

There is a certain amount of power that the Kappa can effectively put to the pavement and anything beyond that is purely bragging rights. That and a gigantic smile for the driver as to some of us, burning rubber is fun, as is drifting. The solstice and Sky did do very well in Formula D for a couple of years.

It seems like no matter what the HP, most Kappa's can't break into the 11 second 1/4 mile time. Adding tires specific to drag racing has resulted in snapping axles or breaking the rear diff.

Only thing that really matters is if the owner is happy. It's their money and their vehicle.

LUSIFER has been Sold
I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:31 PM

Great video. Makes my Trifecta tuned 2 liter seem like a kid's toy! WOW!

07 GXP 5mt DDM Backbone DDM ProBeam Trifecta Tune
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Founding Member

Well said Elff, but I wood add the best part of our car is the driving experience on a twisty road.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 PM

Garage
I have said this several times. I have a tuned Sky, that has all the braces, on and on, and then I have this monster Mallett. I would take the Sky over the Mallett every single time as to driving. Now sound, that is a different story. The Mallett sounds like a real car. The Redline not so much even with the HF cat and Magnaflow exhaust, it still sounds like a sewing machine compared to the Mallett. But I have the Sky to drive, the Mallett to park and listen to. That is about all that will happen to it from now on.
nighttripper likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elff View Post
There is a certain amount of power that the Kappa can effectively put to the pavement and anything beyond that is purely bragging rights. .
Yup - unless you tub it and stick ginormous rubber under there it is going to be hard to hook up properly. Had that problem 20 years ago with sticking Ford V8s into Miatas - wasn't as blindingly fast as they had hoped because the wheels would just spin at just about any speed - no room for enough rubber under there.

Easy cars to get into trouble with, as a little too much throttle in the wrong place gets you sliding. Still, lots of fun in a large paved area without hard objects....

You can get the same effect with a stock NA by fitting old hard narrow rubber, but the sound track wouldn't measure up!

Always enjoyed the Hot Rod magazine conversion using an LS7 - they also went on a real diet program and that car got into the 10s in the 1/4 - just.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode