Tried Different Spark Plugs - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Got my 2007 Solstice GXP Manual back in March. Only one owner and he always used Autolite XP 5263 Plugs. Once Spring came, once in awhile I would get the misfire code, so I did a lot of reading on the forms. Everyone seems to use the AC 41-108s. So I bought those and also Bosch Platinum IR Fusion 4515 Plugs.

Drove for a month of the AC 41-108s, seemed to work alright but the acceleration and power seemed to lack. So I put in the Bosch Plugs and WOW. I could feel the difference and the car took off even faster then ever. The misfire code has not come on since the Autolite Plugs and the car is running amazing. Btw used the same fuel grade 91 No Ethanol and same gas station the whole time.

Just surprised no one has tried these out but me. They are certainly worth a mention and I have been using the Bosch ever since. Hope this helps our group out!

Safe Motoring Everyone!
Greatgab likes this.

Last edited by Tyro_2004_2004; 07-08-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:42 PM

A few questions come to mind. Are you tuned? Next question.... Are these plugs the exact same? Gapped? Same length so one isn't sitting further in the motor then the other? Final question, if you are tuned, how much boost are you pushing? If they are "hotter" plugs, they are usually sitting a little different. And you must be careful with "hotter" plugs in these cars...Bad, expensive things can happen quickly.

Let me elaborate. IMSMC we had someone running a much "hotter" plug. The engine ran great for about 2k miles. And then he burned a whole in the piston. You have no clue what the temp is inside the combustion chamber and the LNF is extremely delicate and doesn't like a whole lotta change...ie hotter plugs. If you're getting that much more performance...be very careful. The stock piston heads are very thin on these motors and they don't take a lot of extra heat very well....just warning you.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 07-08-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I’m currently not running any tune. They come already gapped and there isn’t a way to gap them. That’s what took the longest on the research, was to find the right plug. Had to cross reference plug after plug just to be 100% sure. Bosch plug code for them are HGR8MQI. So the “8” is how hot and cold they run. They can go as hot as 13. I attached the chart to the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95FF0D39-B15E-47E0-991B-37D2D9F86EB9_1562637296072.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	98115  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I really appreciate the warning man.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
Were they pre-gapped or what gap did you use? How did you come up with that plug number... My charts shows 96301 and 9723.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgab View Post
Were they pre-gapped or what gap did you use? How did you come up with that plug number... My charts shows 96301 and 9723.
They were gapped already. You are unable to gab these ones. I cross referenced BOSCH PLATINUM IRIDIUM FUSION # 4515 HGR8MQI and they showed the Autolite XP 5364 Denso 5339 and Denso ITV20. Which all work with the Solstice GXP, you can also cross reference the Autolite XP 5364 and our AC 41-108 show up.
Greatgab likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
A few questions come to mind. Are you tuned? Next question.... Are these plugs the exact same? Gapped?
So if two plugs are the same heat rating and size - how important is a difference in gap? Say from a .9 to a 1.0?

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
A few questions come to mind. Are you tuned? Next question.... Are these plugs the exact same? Gapped?
So if two plugs are the same heat rating and size - how important is a difference in gap? Say from a .9 to a 1.0?

I am not too sure man. I know that a larger gap then what the manual recommends makes your ignition coils work a lot hard and you can go thru them a lot quicker.

I read a lot of other forms on here where some had theirs at .035 all the way down to .028 .They said the .028 was the best gap he tried.

I was just excited to share with everyone a different Spark Plug that seems to work better then stock. Because it really seemed like our Solstices couldn’t use other plugs.

Last edited by Tyro_2004_2004; 07-08-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
I read somewhere that a bigger gap caused problems with high boost cars...

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Garage
The Bosch site list the 9723 with a .9mm (.35") gap as the preferred plug for our GXPs.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Bosch site list the 9723 with a .9mm (.35") gap as the preferred plug for our GXPs.
I’m Have been using:

https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/

They have been my go too for many years. Always have guided me with the right Plugs.
Greatgab likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the Bosch Platinum Fusion IR 4515.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7~YAA...WtD/s-l300.jpg
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro_2004_2004 View Post
The Bosch website shows the 4515 as 'discontinued'

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro_2004_2004 View Post
The Bosch website shows the 4515 as 'discontinued'
Yeah, I believe that. Because they are getting harder and harder to find. I used the Bosch Platinum Fusion IR in my Jeep Wrangler year’s back, just after they stopped making them. Those worked GREAT for my Wrangler too come to think of it.....
Greatgab likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:25 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
Ive used hundrad sets of the bosche platinum plugs. I put the denso iridium plugs in my solstice because they were cheeper......and I wanted to try them. Ive put well over 100000 miles on bosch plat plugs with no issues, there especialy good for performance app's, and oh so sweet on old stuff that had a habbet of fouling plugs due to big carbs or cam or tune off.Ive never had one foul or mis fire. the only other thing I dont run them in is my 2 stroke dirt bike(yz250). they are awesome with lackluster ignition systems too as they fire good with less voltage than a std plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode