What about Shock Absorbers? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Location: Phoenix Arizona where there are about 250 days a year for convertible Bebop-ing
What about Shock Absorbers?

This one only has 30K miles but its eleven years old and had original tires when I got it. Have any of you all replaced your rear shocks? Or front for that matter? I seem to have a little "squat" with the rear end. You know, like on small dips like it wants to dip down and almost bottom-out like an old 64 Chevy I had used to do. Thank you much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Bebop~2s.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	565.8 KB
ID:	95767   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Bebop~2q2.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	95769  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 AM

With 120k on the 06, I just changed all shocks and wheel bearings.
The rear shocks were shot, the fronts still had some rebound left.
Sure made a big difference, I was unaware how much the ride had deteriorated over time.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:45 AM

The original Bilsteins on my GXP started leaking back when the car was still fairly new, It's been so long that I don't really remember the mileage but it was way sooner than I've ever had shocks go bad. I replaced them with adjustable Koni's and they work very well. I put BC Coilovers on the NA and they are amazing but much pricier.
easyryderca likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
after the ride through the back roads yesterday I was thinking about shocks too....and adding rear end brace...and possibly front one too.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM

On my 07 gxp shocks are completely gone. Could not believe previous owner kept driving it like this. Bought a new set of factory Bilsteins and waiting for the garage space or better weather to install.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
why dont modern day shocks with much more "technology" last very long? I think the big name companys are throwing crap out with thier name on them then want you to do them again with a upgrade and biger$. the wifes koni's were dead in less than 30000 miles. and its' time for another set on it... I think the car manufactures are just using the big names to help sell the cars and put low quality stuff on. somuch for the good old days. hell he paint dosent even last on these Blisters.... oh well it is what it is.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Location: Phoenix Arizona where there are about 250 days a year for convertible Bebop-ing
OK Mark, In my view if they seem to be Low Quality, and don't last long, they're likely made in China. I'll get myself a set of whatever NAPA has for a christmas present and report in next year.

I think the plan for car manufacturers was to use technology to make things smaller and more fuel efficient, but that meant more and more complicated. Nobody can say cars are not much better and reliable than they used to be. But it wasn't long before most people like us could no longer do their own auto repairs and maintenance. Furthermore, they didn't want you to do it, and it seems like the younger generation don't want to get their hands dirty. There used to be a brown smog cloud over Phoenix that you could see coming in from 60 miles out. It's gone due to electronic ignition and catalitic converters and fuel injection. That '63 Willys truck is the last carbeurator vehicle I will ever own. I remember when you could change a set of simple shocks in an hour. But a set of spark plugs and wires did not last 90 thousand miles either. I had to borrow a spring compressor the last set of front shocks/struts I did myself. I will look for you-tube before I tear into the Solstice. I'm old. Thanks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Just as you needed new tools to transition from a Model T to a 1963 MGB, you need more new tools to transition to a 20xx anything. It has nothing to do with "them" not wanting you to fix it yourself, the technology is necessary to meet the requirements. There is nothing on a modern car that can't be diagnosed and repaired by its owner just as it would be at a dealer's shop.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
....There is nothing on a modern car that can't be diagnosed and repaired by its owner just as it would be at a dealer's shop.
Very often the cost of the scanner and software required for the repair would cost much more than paying a shop to do the repair. Although it could be done by owner, does it make sense that way?

2007 GXP Pure
Probeam/Backbone/Trifecta Tune
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannn View Post
Very often the cost of the scanner and software required for the repair would cost much more than paying a shop to do the repair. Although it could be done by owner, does it make sense that way?
If you are only ever going to do one repair in your lifetime, then you could be correct. Once you expect to do more than that, though, the cost is more reasonable.

The main point here is that technical systems require technical tools, and there is no conspiracy to keep owners from repairing their own vehicles.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
What about Shock Absorbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop2 View Post
had to borrow a spring compressor the last set of front shocks/struts I did myself. I will look for you-tube before I tear into the Solstice. I'm old. Thanks

The stock setup uses struts on all four corners. If youíre replacing the entire unit no spring compressor is necessary.

I also found a few weeks ago that, if you can get a friend to pull down on the brake - hard - or use a pry bar to move the lower control arm, you donít have to take anything off to remove the strut. Rears are more challenging than fronts due to the axle, but you can get them out with a little leverage and patience.

When reinstalling the strut, use your floor jack to raise the lower control arm, putting slight load on the spring, before torquing down the four strut bolts (2 top, 2 bottom). Otherwise the nuts will look tight but really wonít be when the car is on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 05-12-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM

I am going to be a little pedantic here and point out that we do not have struts. We have coilovers, or coil spring over shock absorber assemblies.

A strut is similar to a shock absorber in that it dampens the oscillations in the suspension, but it also includes the function of guiding the travel of the wheel and, in front wheel applications, provides the pivot for steering,
joybill44 and Alannn like this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
And coilovers are better suspension than struts. Struts are a compromise for saving space and money.

2007 GXP Pure
Probeam/Backbone/Trifecta Tune
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM

I have the original Bilstein coilovers on my 07. Can I just replace the shocks or do I have to replace the whole thing, spring and all. I can't find any dealer that sells a Bilstein that fits our car, seems they don't make them any more. Is that true? Don't want to buy a high end adjustable strut for the car but will if I must. Hate to spend that much money for normal highway weekend driving. ACDelco makes a shock that they say fits my car and spring. Are they any good?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:16 PM

So, this isn't advice but it's what I've heard. Supposedly the AC Delco's are the same as the Bilsteins without the name, but there was more than one Bilstein fitted to our cars. I don't know if the ones available are base or Z0K or somewhere in between. My GXP has the Z0K package, I replaced my shocks with adjustable Koni's and I personally like them much more than the originals. They don't require new springs and are reasonably priced. The drawback is that you have to re-use and drill a larger hole in a 1 inch long washer from your original shock. I wouldn't attempt that without a drill press. I've also heard they are getting hard to find. As far as I know there aren't any other options out there for less than $1,000+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode