Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What did you do to your solstice today?

541K views 5K replies 413 participants last post by  billdaman 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't now if there is a thread like this, nor do i really care. if there is then take this as me loving the #$%^ out of this car. if not let's make it Official with little updates here and there to know what fun we had with our cars on the current day.

^ This is my 2008 Pontiac Solstice a.k.a leila. She's a 2.4 liter 53 yes 53 thousand mile, daily driven, civic eating, roadster. :cool:. I have been the owner of this vehicle since April of this year, and to me this was an upgrade from a 2002 Mazda Miata Se with the best 6 speed manual transmission i have ever had. For the 1st couple of weeks i was happy because i got a new car. With that being said after that the problems started to show. The tires had been abused, the dealer (ford) could not replace my key fob, and they gave me this excuse. " it's a Pontiac, they don't make it anymore."

With that being said i said *&^% you and walked out. Everybody at that dealership was to busy with their head up their own ass, and fords in general that nobody could help me, not even the gm. With that i took matters into my own hands and just drove to my Local GM dealer, and they gave me a new key fob and an oil change for free :) . Shortly after my visit, i started to get a coolant light come up, and of course me being a member and reading, i quickly found out that i might be in trouble. i filled it up, checked after long drives, and when the car sat in the garage for 2 weeks. No puddles, and no marks on the engine, or frame. I feel like i lucked out, an stopped to worry about it.

Next thing was the fact that the passenger seat would not move forward. I took the seat out, jammed the rail free, and sadly i now have a check airbag sign, but that doesn't bother me. After that i got the brake light, and esc/tc light coming on like no tomorrow. This is my current issue, and i found that my hub bolts are tight, so it's going back to the dealer to have it checked out. ( about to make my point). My car was due for an oil change, and i put it upon myself to change it. I don't know why, but the oil filter location to me is something that could have been altered, or improved. Regardless it was done. I took the keys and let her idle for a couple of minutes, checked for leaks, and tightened the drain plug.

With that being done i went inside got a clean shirt, and took the car out for a spin. ( here it comes ) This car is so much fun to drive, it's not even funny. I now know for sure that i made the right choice in trading in my Miata for this amazing car. Yes you can complain about the interior and all of those damn check this check that lights, but the fact that this car is the best roadster i have owned to this day. I had the pleasure of driving many cars, such as the crossfire, miata, s2000, and a 350Z. yes the car is underpowered, but i would pick this car over any of the ones mentioned above. I would probably pick up a gxp if given the chance, but as far as fun and pleasure, this car is IT! :thumbs: As with everybody the mod bug has hit me, and in this picture you can see an obvious mod. regardless, this car will never leave my side. I love it, and i appreciate it's little faults more everyday. It's a beautiful relationship, and it's growing stronger every day.

Ok i'm done :)

See less See more
#4 ·
What did you do...is basically one of the most popular and longest running threads on other car forums, so thanks for starting it here.

Basically crosspost, but received reproduction console storage bag, ordered Norms GXP splitter. Also asked local auto upholster if they could cover a Smoothline hardtop covered in bright red Haartz fabric. Answer was, you buy it, we can do it.

#5 ·
I'm always detailing my car GXP and I mean it! Decided to go for a run and went to the grocery store yesterday and this woman pulls up beside me with her son and, as I was getting out of the car, said "that's a beautiful car" and smiled and said YEAH! and her son had huge eyeballs, googling it and I told her... "Yep..a definite chick car" she agreed and we started talking about it. She asked me if it was fast and I said yes and told her they're not really expensive and if you want to buy one, get a radar detector too, just in case. It's easy to forget how fast you're going. Anyway, I find a lot of women comment on it (they feel comfortable speaking to another woman I guess) along with OLD guys. I think it reminds them of their younger days and the cars that were out then. :)

#9 ·
Went to a photo shoot. Cars Coffee and Bikes is starting up here in Norman. They wanted to make an official poster so they needed some cars to show up. I just managed to get there in time. (on the way I got to race a new Jaaaag XKR, beat him to 65, then he got past. what a sound!) Anywho, they were all set up and I pulled up a little late and asked if they had room. Found a spot and shazam! I'm glad I went because as you can see, the shot was definitely in need of another sports car other than the Cobra. Would have looked like a muscle car show... :D Had fun. On the way home I raced with the Cobra on the highway and on the off-ramp. That was awesome... I out-cornered him on the long off-ramp circle. His tire started to slip at the end as I was closing in on him with a huge smile on my face! :D

#12 · (Edited)
nice thread....today, stumbled upon a local car show of classics (early Ford coupes-1915) up to 72 corvettes and had the solstice hang with some classic early 70's TR6/MG roadsters. Sorry no pics.

Also, was hunting some boxsters and miatas last nite just for fun. Even with an NA you can hang with them...:thumbs:

#14 · (Edited)
I'm new here. just bought an '08 GXP w/stage ll and cold air intake which is gonna be the wife car once she has her full licence. Then I am gonna have to do some serious begging and a$$ kissing just to get the keys but I get to drive it for now......what a fricken hoot to drive hugely impressed with car. This only had 20k miles and never seen rain or snow.

#17 ·
Did a little detailing today....
1) Balmed my interior leather. I have quite a bit of JPM leather work in her. I then used Armor All protectant wipes on the plastic. I love the look.:cool:
2) Bought some Mother's Billet cleaner and some Chrome polish. With the billet cleaner I did my Santana cup holder,MRZ engine fluid caps and DDM LNF pipes. I just used water on my GMPP CAI as it has a clear coat finish on it and I did not think the billet cleaner would be a good idea. I also did my my stock chrome rims.

Everything came out real nice. Have not posted pics as my previous posts show everything in imaculate shape. I have had this car for 5 years now. I have 40,000 Klms or just short of 25,000 miles on it. Therefore am averaging 8000 Klms or 5000 miles per year. I plan on having her for a very, very, very long time!:thumbs:

#18 ·
Nice Sol's and great pics.
I have over 1,200 post on the SKY site.
Read and PNT out all the info you need.
I love it when they ask what is it?
After walking across a LG parking lot.
Replaced the oil plug with a magnet one.
LLLFLY

#29 ·
Stopped by Anne's Chicken Fry on Route 66 in OKC on the way back home from a car show/air show. Got to ride in a PT-17 biplane trainer AND a 1996 Grand Sport Corvette

#31 ·
I picked mine up from the dealer for the fifth time in three months trying to fix the same sputtering/loss of power issue. This time, they replaced a 'clogged cat' to fix the issue. Same crap happened 20 minutes into my drive home. Time to take it back in again. I'm done with this P.O.S. Looking at a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab now. I'm so over GM after all these years. Yes, this is the most beautiful roadster ever built, and a blast to drive when it's running right, but I've had all I can take with the inconvenience of depending on it to get from point A to point B.