Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What did you do to your solstice today?

547K views 5K replies 414 participants last post by  MasterChief 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't now if there is a thread like this, nor do i really care. if there is then take this as me loving the #$%^ out of this car. if not let's make it Official with little updates here and there to know what fun we had with our cars on the current day.

^ This is my 2008 Pontiac Solstice a.k.a leila. She's a 2.4 liter 53 yes 53 thousand mile, daily driven, civic eating, roadster. :cool:. I have been the owner of this vehicle since April of this year, and to me this was an upgrade from a 2002 Mazda Miata Se with the best 6 speed manual transmission i have ever had. For the 1st couple of weeks i was happy because i got a new car. With that being said after that the problems started to show. The tires had been abused, the dealer (ford) could not replace my key fob, and they gave me this excuse. " it's a Pontiac, they don't make it anymore."

With that being said i said *&^% you and walked out. Everybody at that dealership was to busy with their head up their own ass, and fords in general that nobody could help me, not even the gm. With that i took matters into my own hands and just drove to my Local GM dealer, and they gave me a new key fob and an oil change for free :) . Shortly after my visit, i started to get a coolant light come up, and of course me being a member and reading, i quickly found out that i might be in trouble. i filled it up, checked after long drives, and when the car sat in the garage for 2 weeks. No puddles, and no marks on the engine, or frame. I feel like i lucked out, an stopped to worry about it.

Next thing was the fact that the passenger seat would not move forward. I took the seat out, jammed the rail free, and sadly i now have a check airbag sign, but that doesn't bother me. After that i got the brake light, and esc/tc light coming on like no tomorrow. This is my current issue, and i found that my hub bolts are tight, so it's going back to the dealer to have it checked out. ( about to make my point). My car was due for an oil change, and i put it upon myself to change it. I don't know why, but the oil filter location to me is something that could have been altered, or improved. Regardless it was done. I took the keys and let her idle for a couple of minutes, checked for leaks, and tightened the drain plug.

With that being done i went inside got a clean shirt, and took the car out for a spin. ( here it comes ) This car is so much fun to drive, it's not even funny. I now know for sure that i made the right choice in trading in my Miata for this amazing car. Yes you can complain about the interior and all of those damn check this check that lights, but the fact that this car is the best roadster i have owned to this day. I had the pleasure of driving many cars, such as the crossfire, miata, s2000, and a 350Z. yes the car is underpowered, but i would pick this car over any of the ones mentioned above. I would probably pick up a gxp if given the chance, but as far as fun and pleasure, this car is IT! :thumbs: As with everybody the mod bug has hit me, and in this picture you can see an obvious mod. regardless, this car will never leave my side. I love it, and i appreciate it's little faults more everyday. It's a beautiful relationship, and it's growing stronger every day.

Ok i'm done :)

See less See more
#1,567 ·
Brake Rotors

The stock brakes always seemed to be just Ok. A few years ago the OEM brake pads were upgraded even though there was still lots of meat left. The Hawk, HP Plus gave me a little more bite for my spirited driving.

New Brake Rotors are now installed. The single hex head Locator Screw on each of the original Brake Rotor with 78,000 miles was a challenge to remove. The local NAPA did have a replacement that is Stainless Steel with a Phillips head. Tirerack, offers StopTech, Cryo Heat Treated Slotted Rotors and they are a direct replacement that really provides lots of stopping power.

I am very happy with the performance while I continue to run around town before putting the car into a HPDE event.

#1,568 ·
New Brake Rotors are now installed. Tirerack, offers StopTech, Cryo Heat Treated Slotted Rotors and they are a direct replacement that really provides lots of stopping power.

I am very happy with the performance while I continue to run around town before putting the car into a HPDE event.
I like my full StopTech package. May I suggest flush and refill with DOT4 brake fluid?
I found HPS pads on stock rotors to be noisy around town, although they quieted down in harder driving.

#1,572 · (Edited)
won a 'Top 50' award at a car show.

Thanks DDMWORKS !

Attachments

#1,573 ·
that blue sure look great!!! especialy with the top the same color.....not fabric.
well today after building some trusses and dodging the rain witch we needed bad, I did some more air box work,added another breathing hole and bell mouthed it. also belmouthed the inner section that I opened up so it can breath through the new opening effectivly. I then changed the ex accuator and the ex cam position sensor ( p0014 code) I had already cleaned the accuator it wasent dirty, but I had also ordered a set of them and a seensor. it threw the code again 2 days ago, so I swap[ed them since it was raining and I alreay had the hood open for the air box work. I also added some heat shielding to the bottom & back of the air box to keep heat from the raidiator&engine&hose from adding heat to the box. Ill probably pull off the middle muffler at some point as it is a heat sync...I dont think heat shielding would do a lot for it.,I plan on making a heat shielding sleve for the intake hose too. I may send off ecm for a works flash tune this comming week. I wish I had a good glimpse of the muffler innards... Ill stick my inspection camera up the tail pipe to have a little look tomarow..but cant see the inlet from there... I may hole saw the cap on the pipe and look in there when I get some more argon for my mig so i can weld it back on. if needed I could add a bigger internal hole from there too for better breathing...but still kind hard to tell without having a good look inside to see just how it's wired.

#1,576 ·
Hit a huge raccoon Friday night. Tore the passenger side front inner fender completely out of the car.
Bent up some of the bumper mounting brackets, and the liner mounting points on the fender behind the wheel.
Heading out to the body shop today to let them see what all else may have happened.
Then the insurance negotiations begin. Wish me luck!

#1,582 ·
Changed the vvt cam silenoids on wicked. Got a check engine code P0010 on our last outing.

#1,583 ·
Estimate for raccoon damage came up to $1500, and it is a zero deductible on my policy. :yay:
They can't get it in until July 8th. :banghead:
Guess I am screwed for a month, don't want to drive it without an inner fender.

#1,595 ·
Guess I am screwed for a month, don't want to drive it without an inner fender.
I've been driving mine without the driver side fender for 3 years. Once upon a time I couldn't find them for a reasonable price, now advance auto has them for $22-$27. But I, too, hit a racoon.

It was majestic. The tiny creature was gently scooped up by the bumper and tossed straight into the air. Top down, I watched everything unfold in slow motion. He did a few summersalts as he cleared the hood after which we made direct eye contact and he was screaming at me with clenched fists. I was fully prepared for him to come to rest in the passenger seat as his trajectory was right on course. Luckily, at the last second, he nicked the passenger side window and tumbled over the edge to the side of the road.

Blew out one of the bumper grills and shattered 1/3 of the other. Again, at $145 a piece, I'm not touching it.

#1,609 ·
It was majestic. The tiny creature was gently scooped up by the bumper and tossed straight into the air. Top down, I watched everything unfold in slow motion. He did a few summersalts as he cleared the hood after which we made direct eye contact and he was screaming at me with clenched fists.
Did he look kind of like this?

Attachments

#1,585 ·
Tyro i use to go to it back in the late 70s & 80's when i lived in Mich but i'm hoping to get to it again if i make it to the 2021 NASSAM. The St. Ignace Car show got that big they had to break it up in to two weekends. Got to see Ronnie Lane,Lou Christie, Bobby Vee,Leslie Gore,Freddie Cannon,Johnny Tillotson,Ronnie Dove, The Crystals,Bobby Lewis, The Shirelles,Bryan Hyland,Gary Lewis & The Playboys & many more at the car show as entertainment.

#1,588 ·
No kidding! That long ago hey?! Amazing man! You must have some great stories! Did you show off any of your cars back in the day?

Wow! That’s really cool seeing all of them. I am very jealous lol.

So the car show has gotten bigger since you have went? Usually they shrink but they are starting to go back up around here. We had a good 400 cars this year at the Fun Run. Which is way up compared to the other 5 years I was in.

Where is Michigan were you living?

#1,590 ·
Technically this was yesterday, but we stripped the NA's interior in preparation of the roll bar being delivered today (more on that later) and pulled the turbo on the GXP. For some reason the exhaust manifold bolts came loose. I've never touched them so I don't know how that could happen after twelve years. I'm taking the turbo down to a local turbo shop to have them take a look at it. I'm not sure I trust the rebuild I got last year.

Attachments