What Tires Do You Recommend? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

What Tires Do You Recommend?

I am looking for some new tires for my 2008 GXP. What is the best performance tire for this vehicle? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Use the search feature and you'll find the many threads that have harbored this debate. (A word of caution, you'll probably end up with as many questions as answers!)

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Dunlop Sport Maxx summer tire
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Garage
Nitto 555 G2 seem to work for us.

2006 NA, manual, DDM short shifter,
ST shocks, DDM braces, FE3 bars, Nitto tires,
Solo cat, CAI, RPM-Motorsports Stage II tune
Wind Restrictor

GOING ZOOMIN
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM

Define 'performance'. If you mean Solo II (autocross), the current favorite is the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R. Next on my list is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
skersfan likes this.

Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Garage
I think discussing tire choices on a thread is a total waste of time.

There are so many variables; all season/summer, performance/comfort, premium/budget, etc.

And everybody recommends the tires they bought as an affirmation of their wise choice.

There is never one tire recommended so you will still have to make a decision out of the many recommended tires.

I've seen a few really awful tires recommended on this forum.

I bought a set of BF GOODRICH g-Force COMP-2 A/S All Season Radial Tire-245/045R18 96W from Amazon when my Goodyears got old. I'm happy with them and they improved ride and handling a lot. I consider them budget tires and there are many better (more expensive) tires out there. But the difference between the Goodrich and other more expensive tires will not be drastic unless you drive at the limit all the time, which is unrealistic.

I live in Washington State so drive the GXP all year.

I do have another set of rims with performance tires mounted for HPDE and autocross.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 PM

An almost budget tire, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 falls just short of tires costing hundreds of dollars more. My opinion is that, if you're not going racing, this is the best bang for your buck.
syjos likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
Hands down nothing truly compares to the Bridgestones. Not even close. But with great performance comes some real problems.

I have had them on my car for about three thousand miles. Love the performance, nothing compares, but they are so tacky it is unbelievable. The draw back and it has become a major draw back for me, is the sand blasting they do of the lower parts of the car. Will absolutely destroy the quarterpanels, under the doors and behind the front wheels. That is driving on paved roads only. My car has never seen a dirt road. The following pictures are well under 1000 miles. I did the side skirts before the Nationals last year. It has 3M's top clear coat over the paint. They were painted by Norm and were perfect before being placed on the car.

I need to step down a level I think, not certain which way to go, so maybe asking the same question soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	94875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	94877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	94879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4010.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	94881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	94883  

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Garage
I'm loving my Michelin Pilot Sport S4 tires - improved ride even with DDM's brace bundle and amazing handling!

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 AM

I second the Michelin S4. Great ride,great grip and laser sharp steering.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:31 AM

I bought the car with Goodyear Eagles. So far they have stuck to the road from Charlotte to Charleston SC, even in the rain.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Fox View Post
An almost budget tire, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 falls just short of tires costing hundreds of dollars more. My opinion is that, if you're not going racing, this is the best bang for your buck.
The Firestones Indy 500 are really good summer tires. They are an older Bridgstone design.

I really wanted to buy the Indy 500 for my GXP, but driving it all year require all season tires.

Last edited by syjos; 04-09-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:26 AM

Just like chickenwire said, you're going to get everyone's opinion and no definitive solution. Everybody drives differently and under different conditions, so what (tire) works from them may not work for you. So do your research and make a selection. If you're driving on the OE tires from 2007/2008, I'd be more worried about tire failure over brand at this point.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I think discussing tire choices on a thread is a total waste of time.

There are so many variables; all season/summer, performance/comfort, premium/budget, etc.

And everybody recommends the tires they bought as an affirmation of their wise choice.
Have to agree with that. We need a narrower set of guidelines to make any meaningful suggestions.

Are they to be an all season tire or a summer only (this is a big one)?

Is wear an issue? - the RE71R are an extreme performance summer with a wear rating of 200, meaning that they will likely need changing much sooner than most other high performance tires which more typically have wear ratings of 300+. But OTOH if you put low miles on each year, they would age out before you wear them out.

On the 300 or so wear index tires, the consensus is that the Michelin PSS is currently as good as it gets. I use them on my car, but there are a half dozen tires just a bit less capable, many of which cost significantly less. On is the also mentioned Comp 2 BFG - I have those on my BMW (in summer only tread, not all season).

If the OP can give more information, we might be able to offer more meaningful advice.

Bear in mind also that many people need to justify what they spent money on lest they be thought idiots so there is a lot of touting based on what might or might not be decent tires on that basis (for me, I'd be the first to admit that I'd made a mistake and that my money was wasted on crap tires, if that was the case)

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
Great wet and dry

Mysterious
Custom leather seats w/heat
Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX
GM CAI & Cat Back
FE3 Z0K Front & Rear Sway Bars
GM Racing Brake/Clutch Reservoir
Solo Shorty Header
Performance AutoWerks ECM ReTune, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Lines, HF Cat
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
OZ Ultraleggera wheels 245 front, 275 rear
TPMS
Exedy Racing Stage 1 Clutch
DDM Backbone & Red Upper Radiator Hose
Kappasphere reBAR
3M skin
Mirror w/compass & temp
Lighted Windrestrictor
Stubby antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode